U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,315,380 times

Advertisements

FISCHER: Obama should begin by tearing down border fence : Speakout : The Rocky Mountain News

Here's a guest column I wrote - it was published in the Rocky Mountain News last week and today in the San Antonio Express-News, Waco Tribune and a bunch of smaller papers. Its brought out a bunch of crazy replies but its all fun -after all a good column provokes people.

Tear down those walls Mr. Obama!
Begin the Obama Presidency by tearing down the fence separating Mexico, both geographically and symbolically, from the United States. Illustrate how this new America will respect and cherish our neighbors. Show those who predicted Democratic wasteful spending, that you will save us the billions this “Fence to Nowhere” will cost.

This fence will not stop Mexicans coming into our country, because where there's a will there's usually a way. More than one third of our illegal immigrants cross legally, but overstay their visas. The fence itself already has breaches, allowing entry. It will however, threaten already endangered ocelots, jacarundi, and other species that depend on the Rio Grande River.

The fence mars the borders natural beauty. Rain has made El Paso, The Big Bend, and other river areas green this year, yet the vista of mountains, riverbed, Mexico, and Texas is denigrated by the ugly metal fence. When my mother immigrated legally to the United States, she was greeted by the Statute of Liberty and the grandest skyline in the world. Those entering from our southern border will instead see a Wal-Mart version of the Berlin Wall, in part made with imported Chinese steel and illegal immigrant labor.

There have already been costly delays due to flooding potential, and the failure of Project 28, which used sensors to create miles of virtual fence, but couldn't distinguish humans from livestock and bushes. Factoring in repairs and maintenance, the Congressional Research Service estimates that a 25-year life span on 700 miles of the 1952-mile fence would cost up to $49 billion.

President George W Bush has said, "Border security must adapt to the nation's changing needs". Currently more Mexican nationals may be returning to Mexico than arriving. What George W, Bush couldn't do with a fence, he achieved by wasteful spending in Iraq and signing pork barrel budgets, and our sagging economy has now lost much of its employment appeal.

Online editions of many newspapers contain illiterate ranting about Mexicans destroying our economy, yet talk nothing about how obesity, cigarette smoking, and the War in Iraq, will over time, cost us far more. People who never stayed in class long enough to compose a complete sentence, rail about how Mexicans have ruined our schools and stolen their jobs. I can't help but believe there is a racist, xenophobic element to these one-issue extremists.

Recent Mexican President Vicente Fox described the border fence as "shameful". Current President Felipe Calderon and Mexico, supported by 27 countries, made a declaration at the Organization of American States, expressing their disapproval. Opposition on our side of the border was in place even before the current financial crisis, and will gain momentum as economic resources become scarcer.

Obama's ascendancy provides an immediate opportunity to show the promised “change”. Obama and the Democrats can, by scraping this wall, mend fences with much of Latin America. Killing this wasteful government project will demonstrate the “compassionate conservatism” George W. Bush only promised, and will finally begin to implement his father's “Kindler and Gentler” nation.

-------------------------------------

Steve Fischer has served as District Attorney in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and a Professor of Political Science and Criminal Justice, possessing an MA, MPA, and JD. He is currently President of the Aransas Area Bar Association and an elected school board member in Rockport, Texas. He was a columnist for the El Paso Times and Herald-Post and has written Guest Columns for many periodicals. Fish2026@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM

1,740 posts, read 2,934,208 times
I wouldn't be opposed to making Mexico the 51st state, but only if the red states were allowed to secede first and build their own walls.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,943,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to making Mexico the 51st state, but only if the red states were allowed to secede first and build their own walls.
That wouldn't be a bad idea. Except American bases must, of course, remain in Alaska to guard against Russia taking over. I have no problem with all other red states completely separating, however.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,927,870 times
Well, he voted for the fence and its amendments to “double layer” and “triple Layer” the fence: HR 6061 to fund a border fence (passed Senate 80-19), AMDT’s 4659 & 4775. He failed to vote for an extension of funding for the fence that was approved by the Senate 95-1. He voted No on a recent amendment to increase funding, AMDT S-4231 that was approved by the Senate 61-37.

What I’m getting at is that he has approved of the border fence and I’d be surprised he’d change to favor a dismantling of it now. If he didn’t want it, he shouldn’t have voted for it.

Now, my personal opinion is that if we spent as much money seeing to it the illegals came here properly and guided them towards citizenship as we have on the fence, we’d be miles ahead. But, it was a clearly bi-partisan effort.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
Its no surprise that a collection of Latin American countries would be against the fence. Its no surprise that the leaders of the country facilitating the invasion of ours would be either. It is however surprising that the words of the leader of one of the most corrupt countries in the Americas would be thought worth heeding. Its surprising that an Obama supporter would be against the fence that Obama voted for. Its also surprising that so many of our citizens are foolish enough to NOT want to stop the influx.
Since shooting people that invade us is somehow wrong I think a fence is the only option.
It should go on the Mexican edge of the river, be electrified & the Mexican President should be informed it would be a disgrace if he let his fleeing citizens die because he refuses to bring his country out of the dark ages.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,783,283 times
if vicente fox is against the fence, how bad can it be? mexico has had no interest in helping its own people but would prefer to send them here to address their own unemployment problems, while they loot their own country. the unemployment in mexico will get a lot worse once the cantarell oil fields stop producing. i would stop short of electrifying the fence and hope that part was facetious.
i would add that building the fence would provide some temporary jobs when jobs are going to be sorely needed in this country.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
It was facetious, to an extent. Mostly because it cant decide who is making an innocent mistake & who is sneaking in. But I definitely think deadly force is justifiable in the securing of our borders.
Take a trip to Arizona, Texas or Cali, sneak into Mexico & try running if their Federales stop you. I guarantee they are under no PC lovey dovey rules of engagement.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,113,118 times
I have, and I do agree with Tin Knocker, however, I think we have to take this one step further and change certain laws starting with the "anchor" baby and making entitlement programs, including education and driver's licenses very difficult for illegals to obtain. Lady Justice has turned a blind eye to 'tough love' far too long. The antiquated immigration laws need to be changed, too.

We should welcome migrants, gardners, housekeepers, etc., and give them an opportunity to work and return home every night while they learn English. There children will be educated in Mexico. After five years of proven emplyment where they have broken no laws, not even a speeding ticket, paid taxes, and they have no outstanding debts for servuces rendered such as hospital or utility bills, they should have the opportunity to apply for citizenship and a drivere's license. The other thing that needs to be corrected is the cost of citizenship. Five thougand per individual is a tough nut for a working man with a wife and children.

Not all illlegals are bad people but there has to be a way to seperate the wheat form the chaff, Letting honest poor people work, under strick laws, is one way to it

As for the border, it needs to be patroled. If you're gonna put a guy on the border with a badge and gun, then don't prosecute home for protecting us. That gnarly old sherrif in Meridosa County, Arizaon would have give the guards (that were sentenced) hazardous duty pay. Truthfully, if yo want to clean up the border Joe Arpillo knows how to do it. He has a volunteer possee of nearly 3,000 people with every tool immagenable at his disposal to find and arrest illegals. He does it every day and he enjoys it because "its what the people of my county want." God help Arizona when he dies. As Ex-FBI, he would be an excellent choice set border laws and train the border guards. After all, he has the only accredited prison school in the nation and he brags prisoner meals average $.68 each. He feed 5,000 prisoners daily.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,488,372 times
isn't there a immigration forum for this? There's enough hate there to last a lifetime.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,251,022 times
Sorry, Ocean... but that's one of the dumbest editorials I've ever read.

Point 1. It won't stop illegal entry, but it forces them to collect at points that are already known. Funnel them to being watched more carefully with a greater chance to catch those that commit a crime just walking onto our land and want us to believe that's the last crime they commit (aside from not applying for citizenship, not paying taxes, but still using all our federal resources). No thank you.

Point 2. It destroys the natural beauty. Are you kidding me?!?! Tell that idiocy to people in Maine. I, too, live in Texas. And all those nasty, rotting, smelly, shanty towns that line the Rio Grande just exist to push drugs and peddle people through. I will admit there are parts of the Rio Grande that are untarnished, but much of it is more of an eye sore than not. The walls would have been better served to be concrete so we didn't even have to look at much of it!!

I live it every day. I'm a minority in a city of majority of hispanics. I have to go to my local AMERICAN Walmart and hear advertisements in Spanish and flip boxes to find the English writing.

When are we going to stop pretending that everyone who comes across the border illegally is a great guy/gal, will pump money into the taxes they so freely take from, and do things legally and help the system instead of making waves with it!?!? The first step, their first act in their "new" country is an act committed through a crime. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or