Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Put up or shut up. Tell me how old you are---i.e., how long you have been in the United States of America. If you're over 12, I'll be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The people who were here first didn't speak English. The first Europeans here didn't speak English. WTF? Why should English get some preferential treatment.
So are you implying that the USA should not exist?
If you want to take it that far then neither you nor any of the foreigners on here should be in the USA because of the way the USA came into being. The mere presence of any non natives in America is your affirmation and acceptance of the legacy of discrimination and atrocities committed in bringing the US into being. Anybody who says any differently is being downright HYPOCRITICAL.

So that's just TOO BAD. We speak English today because it was English speaking people that started the country. If you don't like it then gtf HOME and start your own country! You're not going to change my mind. You're wasting your time and energy.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Put up or shut up. Tell me how old you are---i.e., how long you have been in the United States of America. If you're over 12, I'll be surprised.
What's this? Discrimination against 12+ year olds?

Immigrant just **** and go home before the immigration is called on you. ok?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
So are you implying that the USA should not exist?
If you want to take it that far then neither you nor any of the foreigners on here should be in the USA because of the way the USA came into being. The mere presence of any non natives in America is your affirmation and acceptance of the legacy of discrimination and atrocities committed in bringing the US into being. Anybody who says any differently is being downright HYPOCRITICAL.

So that's just TOO BAD. We speak English today because it was English speaking people that started the country. If you don't like it then gtf HOME and start your own country! You're not going to change my mind. You're wasting your time and energy.
Quite a few places in this country still speak other languages as their primary tongue. Kind of too bad for those who want English to be the only language spoken. Many place of the country were started by French, German, Spainish or Native American speaking people. This is my home and I'll speak any language(s) I like.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Quite a few places in this country still speak other languages as their primary tongue. Kind of too bad for those who want English to be the only language spoken. Many place of the country were started by French, German, Spainish or Native American speaking people. This is my home and I'll speak any language(s) I like.
I didn't know that places could speak. Far as an OFFICIAL language, it's ENGLISH. Get used to it or get out!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
spanglish

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
I don't see any reason for the US to have a legally mandated official language. English really isn't going anywhere. If we've kept out the metric system for this long, what chance does Spanish or French or Armenian have?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
I didn't know that places could speak. Far as an OFFICIAL language, it's ENGLISH. Get used to it or get out!
There is no official language for the United States. Get used to it. People can use whatever language they choose. Get out? In you f*ing dreams, Immigrant.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
You're not going to change my mind. You're wasting your time and energy.
You finally got somethng right.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
There is no official language for the United States. Get used to it. People can use whatever language they choose. Get out? In you f*ing dreams, Immigrant.
Very polite comeback

When the issue of an "official" language is raised, many respond - incorrectly - as you did. NO ONE is suggesting an official "spoken" language. You are, will be welcome to speak whatever language you wish to -

When it comes to doing "official" business with the Governments (Fed, State, City, local), English will be used. When printing ballots and proposition information - it would be in English. When dealing with the Courts, all Court Documents will be in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates