U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,494,365 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter to me what people speak, I just want to know what language to speak to order a cheeseburger and tell the docs I'm allergic to Keflex. English is the most efficient as a majority of people know it, but making an official language doesn't invalidate learning others.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
How would it make anything better if English were the official language? How would it make your day to day life better? How would it make the day to day life of anybody else better?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,219,177 times
When did the big negativity toward English start? Speaking a common language unites a people, that's how we communicate. So what's wrong with English being the language? For decades, people came here and learned English. Now, it's not politically correct?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,737,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
When did the big negativity toward English start? Speaking a common language unites a people, that's how we communicate. So what's wrong with English being the language? For decades, people came here and learned English. Now, it's not politically correct?
You happen to be right. Now let's see how long it takes before you start getting trashed...basically for displaying common sense!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,089,531 times
Quote:
Never spent much time in the Southwest I see.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Currently, there is no official language for the United States of America.

Some people feel that the "melting pot" of the world should follow suit of the United Nations and have multiple languages as the official ones. Some people feel that the founding fathers spoke English, and therefore that should be the singular official language. The rest feel that America should not have any official language.

Which of these, or others, do you feel would be most appropriate for the Nation? Why do you feel this way? Provide links as necessary to assist with your opinion.
The Declaration of independence, the Constitution & all other founding documents were in English. Nothing further need be said really, those who dont think that English should be & already effectively is the official language have an axe to grind.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 8,890,782 times
Quote:
When did the big negativity toward English start? Speaking a common language unites a people, that's how we communicate. So what's wrong with English being the language? For decades, people came here and learned English.
The negativity started when people from countries with phonetically-sane languages tried to learn all 181 of the spelling rules in English. It really is the suckiest part of English, almost bad enough to totally cancel out the benefit of our simple grammar.

Last edited by Cliffie; 04-07-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
Quote:
That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. English IS the language that people use to communicate in the USA, except when all people in the conversation are more comfortable in another language, which they are perfectly free (this being a free country) to use in their own private discourse. I would invite you and your wife to take a vacation trip to Latvia, and see how hard it is to chat on the bus or in the shops in Latvian, to avoid annoying the hair-trigger sensitivities of the thin-skinned Latvians who are outraged and scream at you that Latvian is the official language here.

If a privately owned TV station chooses to put programs on in Spanish, in order to earn revenue from advertisers who wish to sell products to people who speak Spanish and like to enjoy the leisure of relaxing in front of a Spanish language telenovela which they can understand effortlessly, why do YOU have to get so bent out of shape?

Some countries (group A) have official languages. Some countries (group B) do not have official languages. So what is "wrong" with the languages spoken in Group B countries? How is day-to-day life different in Group A countries, from Group B countries? How are Group A countries decisively superior to Group B countries? How would it change anything in America, if English became the "official" language?

Farsi is the official language of Iran. I had difficulties in the customs house in Khorramshar, bringing in my car. Nobody said "Learn Farsi if you want to execute the intricacies of importation and duties"---they found a man who could speak Englisn and assist me. What's wrong with that?

Sometimes I think I am arguing with third-graders here.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-07-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How would it make anything better if English were the official language? How would it make your day to day life better? How would it make the day to day life of anybody else better?

Well in our current financial state it would start saving taxpayers money immediately by not having to duplicate everything in spanish. Each time my children bring home ANYTHING from school theres a Spanish & an English copy. My moms Italian, why isn't there an Italian copy? My neighbors from Hungary, why no Hungarian copy? The same goes for many municiple permits & licenses, if theres not a Spanish set of literature theres a spanish translator. All that costs money that could be better spent.

People can speak whatever language they want, but all Govt things should be in English & if you need a translator you can go get one.
My family all came here less than two generations ago. None spoke English & none had a pot to pi$$ in. Nobody helped them so they helped themselves & most owned their own homes before they died, none were a burden on society like make our latin newcomers become.

New groups arent a new phenomenon, the idea that we need to change for them is.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Farsi is the official language of Iran. I had difficulties in the customs house in Khorramshar, bringing in my car. Nobody said "Learn Farsi if you want to execute the intricacies of importation and duties"---they found a man who could speak Englisn and assist me. What's wrong with that?

Sometimes I think I am arguing with third-graders here.

Nothing wrong with that. So why the need for Spanish signs & directions? Why the need for tax funded spanish translators?
Whats wrong with them asking for help? Bring a kids permission slip to someone for translation until they learn English?
I doubt Iran had an English drivers test for you to get a license, doubt if your kid went to school there there was free Farsi classes ONLY for Americans. Maybe you see that third grader in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or