U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 AM

16,914 posts, read 51,523,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I'm not sure if I'm reading your 2nd paragraph correctly. I have been in transportation for 37 years, LTL, TL, Flatbed, Container, Reefer you name it, import/export and local.

Do you have any idea at all what the transportation companies pay in road taxes and licenses a year? They already paid to build the roads, trust me on this.

Your little license plate fee and gasoline tax is a "poof" in the bucket of revenues collected for road usage.

Trust me the RR companies are making a bundle, and basically holding the truck carriers hostage on their rates. I see it every single day, and have seen it since deregulation in the 70's....yeah that's how long I've been in the business.
Union Pacific is about the only company that even comes close to "making a bundle." These are public stock companies, and their books are open for anyone to see. Most small railroads either failed outright, or were absorbed into RailAmerica or another short-line operator. Google Pinsey and the Guildford to get an idea of what really occurred. Railroads were bound hand and foot by regulation and union featherbedding - is a fireman to stoke the fire really needed on a diesel locomotive? - is a manned caboose always needed on a train, with the employee in the caboose earning union wage for sitting and watching for hotboxes?

The break came when one shortline operator purchased a trolley line and incorporated under the laws allowed for trolleys. That bypassed all the unions and allowed the operator to take failing railroads into profitability. That and the failure of the northeast railroads were primary factors in causing deregulation.

Yes, trucks pay high taxes for use of the roadways. Drive through any coal mining town or down the length of I-95 and the construction and road conditions will tell you why. Cars, weighing in at a ton (2000 lbs) put about 500 lbs of weight on each tire/roadway interface. Millions and millions of cars can drive over an asphalt or concrete road and cause less damage per year than an occasional frost. Put a dozen loaded coal trucks on that same road (even with the benefit of the additional tires) and the stresses tear the road apart within a very few years.

The same happens with railroads, ties, track, and ballast have to be replaced regularly, but the combination of steel, wood, and stone are much better suited to heavy usage. For a rail line to continue to exist, that excess money you think they make has to be put back into the infrastructure. At in excess of a million dollars a mile, there is a constant battle between accountants and the civil engineers responsible for safety and maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,087,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
You are way off base with trucking and unions there isn't that many trucking unions out here your average driver and there are thousands of us are non - union. do you really think if we were organized the price of diesal would ever have gotten as high as it did?

maybe now, but not 20 to 25 years ago. Do you have any idea how many trucking companies *albeit almost all have gone under** had drivers in the teamsters?

I held my breathe every year for 35 years when it was contract time with the teamsters. I remember well, there was a time, they could have just about closed this country down, there were so many of them. Now it's Yellow, Roadway ABF and UPS. That's about it.

I know the non-union drivers out number the union workers...now. And I don't think anyone union or non-union could have controlled the price of diesel. I currently work for an owner operated company, and we lost several drivers of the cost of fuel.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM

765 posts, read 1,683,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
maybe now, but not 20 to 25 years ago. Do you have any idea how many trucking companies *albeit almost all have gone under** had drivers in the teamsters?

I held my breathe every year for 35 years when it was contract time with the teamsters. I remember well, there was a time, they could have just about closed this country down, there were so many of them. Now it's Yellow, Roadway ABF and UPS. That's about it.

I know the non-union drivers out number the union workers...now. And I don't think anyone union or non-union could have controlled the price of diesel. I currently work for an owner operated company, and we lost several drivers of the cost of fuel.
I guarantee that if we were unionized diseal would never have made it to over 4 bucks a gallon.. Remember the strike back in the 70's?? I'll bet you do . Deregulation has took the teeth out of trucking we are keetowing to too many damn lobbiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates