Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times

Advertisements

"Live frugally or fail" is another way of saying "never a borrower of debtor be." No truer words have ever been spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 PM

434 posts, read 1,078,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No credit amnesty. You borrowed it, you pay it. Why should you get rewarded for being irresponsible, and those of us who didn't act like fools over money be penalized?
tell that to AIG, Bear Stearns, Citigroup, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae ...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,308 times
Banks should loan based on the income of the borrower and the collateral value. The use of Credit ratings is ruining our nation. We have 30 million families with good incomes who want to buy reasonably priced homes, but they can not get a loan because they have a bad credit rating. It may be because someone in their family got sick and their HMO denied coverage. It may be that a bank fraudulently altered loan documents to swindle them on a mortgage. We need to clear these bogus bad credit ratings and allow these people access to the financing they deserve. How did these people act foolishly with their money? And how can you think that it will cost you money to clear their credit? It is free: pass a law to remove negative credit data.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Now that [regular] Americans have bad credit too, perhaps it's time that our government hit the "Reset" button on consumer credit rating and scoring. I say, Credit Amnesty for a one-year period at an individual, business and national level.

Think about it; financial businesses are getting fresh starts by virtue of the near-trillion dollar bailout. Why should they have the opportunity to start over, only to participate in the same old scam that is credit scoring? I say, if financial institutions get a re-do, then so do consumers.

What say you?
Credit scoring scam? It's funny how if you aren't carrying a ton of debt and pay your bills you get a high credit score.

Everyone "credit scores"...imagine a couple of your friends asking to borrow a couple hundred bucks from you. You know which ones would pay you back and which ones never would.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage222 View Post
Banks should loan based on the income of the borrower and the collateral value. The use of Credit ratings is ruining our nation. We have 30 million families with good incomes who want to buy reasonably priced homes, but they can not get a loan because they have a bad credit rating. It may be because someone in their family got sick and their HMO denied coverage. It may be that a bank fraudulently altered loan documents to swindle them on a mortgage. We need to clear these bogus bad credit ratings and allow these people access to the financing they deserve. How did these people act foolishly with their money? And how can you think that it will cost you money to clear their credit? It is free: pass a law to remove negative credit data.
The vast majority of people with bad credit just lived beyond their means. Some were unlucky with sickness etc. (I know some of these) and a tiny amount were actively defrauded.

Not sure some of the resident wannabe economists have thought out the ramifications of removing credit histories. How do you think the lenders might react? (My money is they might require larger downpayments and other measures to counteract the lack of information.)

Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,536,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure some of the resident wannabe economists have thought out the ramifications of removing credit histories. How do you think the lenders might react? (My money is they might require larger downpayments and other measures to counteract the lack of information.)

Have they thought out...?
Of course they have! This way, when lenders start requiring larger down payments (and other measures), the wannabes will have something new to complain about! Think of it as "internet complaint security."

Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,272,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The vast majority of people with bad credit just lived beyond their means. Some were unlucky with sickness etc. (I know some of these) and a tiny amount were actively defrauded.

I would say a vast majority ran up there credit card bills and then walked away from it, I know many!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,311,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Now that [regular] Americans have bad credit too, perhaps it's time that our government hit the "Reset" button on consumer credit rating and scoring. I say, Credit Amnesty for a one-year period at an individual, business and national level.

Think about it; financial businesses are getting fresh starts by virtue of the near-trillion dollar bailout. Why should they have the opportunity to start over, only to participate in the same old scam that is credit scoring? I say, if financial institutions get a re-do, then so do consumers.

What say you?
Yeah....and have China pay for it, so we can start all over while they laugh at us because they own all of our personal information....what will happen next??? I didn't like the state bailout thing, I didn't like the car bailout thing, I didn't like the refrigerator bailout thing, it only supports the upswing of the same old dangerous financial dealings. Count me out...and go ahead and call me anti-patriotic and a terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates