U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM

433 posts, read 390,807 times

Advertisements

The topic of freedom came up in another forum and it occurred to me that the concept varies dependent upon who your speaking to. So My question is:
What does freedom mean to you?

I believe it's about free choice- perhaps not what you would actually choose but what you're allowed to choose from. So even if I don't choose to attend university or church it's important to me that the choice to do so or not is mine- not someone else.

Leaving unsaid the understanding that some limits on freedom are necessary in a civilized society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 AM

3,486 posts, read 4,948,175 times
There are three basic types of freedom:

1. National -- a country's freedom from foreign domination.
2. Political -- the right to vote and freedom to engage in political activity without fear of suppression.
3. Personal -- freedom to make individual choices in everyday life, such as reproductive, behavioral or economic.

Some societies have only national freedom, but very little political or personal freedom. Some societies -- like the ancient Roman Empire, for example -- offered tremendous personal freedom, but virtually no political freedom. Many societies that lack certain kinds of freedoms do not necessarily want them or feel that they are lacking. So the difference in how people invoke freedom is really a function of cultural values, as well as context.

The reason that even a liberal society restricts freedoms to some extent is that its members' liberty interests always conflict. You have the freedom to make a choice of a career -- but then, your neighbor has the freedom to ridicule or criticize that choice. Freedom to act does not translate into an entitlement to endorsement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates