Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
Your story gets broader by the moment.
Not at all. And I had a typo, it's about 30% of the employees who are eligible for our most basic (and least expensive) health plan that choose not to take it. Most of them are in the 21-25 age range. The older they get the more likely they are to take the health insurance--regardless of their pay scale.

To add: That 30% doesn't include employees covered under a spouses plan. That is 30% of the employees who could buy into that plan who are instead going without health insurance of any type. It's is not 30% of our total employees, but rather around 10%.

Last edited by annerk; 11-30-2008 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Sounds like an all or nothing deal to me. But again, I digress, I digress!

Like one of the other posters said we could rearrange the federal budget, cut budget spending, and legalize drugs (such as marijuana) and prostitution so they can be taxed. That would in essence free up billions of dollars and allow people that are not insured to recieve medical checkups and medications without having to pay.

What do you think would work?
I'd have no problem with most of that. But I do believe that even Community Health Centers need to have fees based on a sliding income scale in order to reduce the burden on taxpayers to the fullest possible. Patients should have to pay something, even if it's just a few dollars a week spread out over several years. If nothing else by making them financially invested in their care, they will take preventive medicine and aftercare more seriously.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd have no problem with most of that. But I do believe that even Community Health Centers need to have fees based on a sliding income scale in order to reduce the burden on taxpayers to the fullest possible. Patients should have to pay something, even if it's just a few dollars a week spread out over several years. If nothing else by making them financially invested in their care, they will take preventive medicine and aftercare more seriously.
I don't quite follow. So your saying that I should pay a "few dollars a week" to show I care about my health? Yea, I'm not going to even go there. The point of the community healthcare is so that you won't be required to pay. You have to realize that even if it's fifty cents, some people ARE NOT ABLE to pay the fifty cents. You're coming off as if the money is insignificant because the amount is so small, when to some people "a few dollars" can make all the difference.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I don't quite follow. So your saying that I should pay a "few dollars a week" to show I care about my health? Yea, I'm not going to even go there. The point of the community healthcare is so that you won't be required to pay. You have to realize that even if it's fifty cents, some people ARE NOT ABLE to pay the fifty cents. You're coming off as if the money is insignificant because the amount is so small, when to some people "a few dollars" can make all the difference.
The payment would be sliding scale. Of course those currently eligible for the Medi's wouldn't have to pay--same with those who are truly unable due to unemployment, etc.. But let's say that a single gal, no dependents making $35K a year in a moderate cost of living area (could be one of my co-workers) is uninsured, and chooses to go to the Community health Center for an ear ache. You don't think that she should be charged $20 for her office visit? She has the capacity to pay. Shouldn't she be at least contributing something towards her healthcare? Or should it all fall on the backs of the taxpayers, many of whom are struggling more than she is...

Old 11-30-2008, 06:21 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,587 times
MOST Community Health Centers do have it based on sliding scales according to income which is verified. This just goes to show Annerk how uninformed you are. A CHC is not necessarily a free clinic. Annerk, you really need to stop. It's pretty apparent you haven't a clue. Anyone who can sit here and say that 30% of their employees refuse health care benefits because they'd rather smoke, party or are "healthy" is blowing smoke out the wrong end. Clearly, you are giving horribly exaggerated facts. I would be surprised to find much truth at all in what you say. Please stop trolling. I for one, will no longer feed into your insane comments.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
The payment would be sliding scale. Of course those currently eligible for the Medi's wouldn't have to pay--same with those who are truly unable due to unemployment, etc.. But let's say that a single gal, no dependents making $35K a year in a moderate cost of living area (could be one of my co-workers) is uninsured, and chooses to go to the Community health Center for an ear ache. You don't think that she should be charged $20 for her office visit? She has the capacity to pay. Shouldn't she be at least contributing something towards her healthcare? Or should it all fall on the backs of the taxpayers, many of whom are struggling more than she is...
Isn't the person you are describing also a taxpayer? Or are all people that choose to go to a communit heathcare center non-taxpayers? I say community for a reason, not "for dirt poor people who are not taxpayers." Yea, I get your point.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
MOST Community Health Centers do have it based on sliding scales according to income which is verified. This just goes to show Annerk how uninformed you are. A CHC is not necessarily a free clinic. Annerk, you really need to stop. It's pretty apparent you haven't a clue. Anyone who can sit here and say that 30% of their employees refuse health care benefits because they'd rather smoke, party or are "healthy" is blowing smoke out the wrong end. Clearly, you are giving horribly exaggerated facts. I would be surprised to find much truth at all in what you say. Please stop trolling. I for one, will no longer feed into your insane comments.
I KNOW how Community Health Centers work as far as payments, I used one for several years when I was uninsured. Those who were on the Medi's didn't pay. Otherwise your payment was dependent on your income--and often included a payment plan.

My point was clear--we shouldn't be giving free care to anyone who wants it when they have the ability to pay. Those who can pay should have to, their care should not be paid for by taxpayers. There should be no true "free" climcs that service anyone and everyone with no financial liability.

Frankly I don't care if some random person from the Internet doesn't believe me about our employees. I administer the insurance plans, so I have the facts. I know for a fact that we have a ridiculous percentage of employees that could get basic major medical for $10 a week and refuse to take it. Frankly if you don't believe me, then too bad for you.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't the person you are describing also a taxpayer? Or are all people that choose to go to a communit heathcare center non-taxpayers? I say community for a reason, not "for dirt poor people who are not taxpayers." Yea, I get your point.
My guess is that MOST people who would choose a Community Health Center over private doctor or Urgent Care are those who are either on public assistance or getting welfare for working people--otherwise known as the Earned Income Credit. No one in those groups is paying taxes, even if they are technically filing a tax return.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,587 times
Quote:
I KNOW how Community Health Centers work as far as payments, I used one for several years when I was uninsured. Those who were on the Medi's didn't pay. Otherwise your payment was dependent on your income--and often included a payment plan.

My point was clear--we shouldn't be giving free care to anyone who wants it when they have the ability to pay. Those who can pay should have to, their care should not be paid for by taxpayers. There should be no true "free" climcs that service anyone and everyone with no financial liability.

Frankly I don't care if some random person from the Internet doesn't believe me about our employees. I administer the insurance plans, so I have the facts. I know for a fact that we have a ridiculous percentage of employees that could get basic major medical for $10 a week and refuse to take it. Frankly if you don't believe me, then too bad for you.
In your earlier comment:

Quote:
So please just stop.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
In your earlier comment:

So please just stop.
I said "based on a sliding income scale." If they don't have INCOME then it doesn't apply, does it? Not sure why your feathers are in such a ruffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates