U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times

Advertisements

Saying all ministries are bad based on the scrupulous behavior of a few is wrong. Wouldn't that be a type of racial profiling? Anyway.........

The problem with trying to separate church and state is that regardless of legislation, you aren't going to come between people and the God they serve and love.

Every thought, vote and decision they make in every area of their life is going to be based on their perception and interpretation of whatever Bible they read. Liberals and atheists can whine and cry until the end of time and they just aren't going to change the fact that people who have a personal relationship with God aren't going to swap out their principles to make you happy. It isn't going to happen. Ever.

It doesn't matter if this is right or wrong.....it is the reality of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 PM

765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Saying all ministries are bad based on the scrupulous behavior of a few is wrong. Wouldn't that be a type of racial profiling? Anyway.........

The problem with trying to separate church and state is that regardless of legislation, you aren't going to come between people and the God they serve and love.

Every thought, vote and decision they make in every area of their life is going to be based on their perception and interpretation of whatever Bible they read. Liberals and atheists can whine and cry until the end of time and they just aren't going to change the fact that people who have a personal relationship with God aren't going to swap out their principles to make you happy. It isn't going to happen. Ever.

For starters racial profiling ???? That has nothing to do with religion... Also there are more than a few using gods name for profit i suggest reading some of the links i posted. furthermore do you know what you get when you mix politics and religion ??? The crusades... The inquistion... Even the Taliban... God is a good thing in church or at home but it has no place in goverment as stated by out forefathers in the constitution ..

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Property taxes aren't going to make churches go away. If anything, maybe the thought of paying property taxes would convince them to put a little more money into charity work than building giant cathedrals. The thought of having to pay property taxes might even convince universities to think twice before they spend money on coliseums instead of classrooms.

Another thing that might help is property taxes on 'non-profit' hospitals. Since they can't keep their profits in cash, many use them to expand instead of cutting prices or writing off debts for people in need. If they had to start paying some property taxes on the expansions, they might decide to perform some charity instead of pursuing the revenue to build their next pet project.
Exactly you get it..

Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

Sounds like an argument to tax them since there never will be separation.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Sounds like an argument to tax them since there never will be separation.
Then tax them deeply why should god be a buisness. Jesus never said i need cash he said a camel will walk through the eye of a needle before a rich man reaches heaven ...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Then tax them deeply why should god be a buisness. Jesus never said i need cash he said a camel will walk through the eye of a needle before a rich man reaches heaven ...
.. I am with you .. it is his (and other god's) disciples that I worry about.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
I am strongly in favor of revoking religious organizations' tax-exempt status, for the most part. The idea that churches should not pay taxes originated in an era when such organizations provided the bulk of charity work to support the poor and the sick. This is no longer the case. Churches have become powerful political and social policy organizations that use taxpayers' money to promote ends that are very far from charitable. Even with respect to activities that are nominally charitable, it is not uncommon for most of the budget to be eaten up by "operating costs" (read: various perks for the saintly socialites who run the charity). If we stop subsidizing all these "faith-based initiatives", this will eliminate a lot of the controversy and uncertainty over governmental entanglement with religion, the sponsoring of religion by taxpayers, and the use of taxpayers' money to promote the involvement of religious organizations in government.

I would still leave some exceptions in place. If an organization operating under the auspices of a church is truly charitable in nature, I would exempt it from taxes, but only to the extent that its activities actually benefit the intended recipients of the charity. I would also exempt parochial schools from taxes -- but again, only to the extent that they teach secular subjects and marketable skills.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM

8,015 posts, read 8,080,914 times
George Washington didn't think so......
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"

George Washington Quotes

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

38 posts, read 44,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

George Washington Quotes
I'm not so sure about the bible. I personally believe It's a guide, but I do not believe everything that it states in it. God of course is good, but I worry about how many nuts that are out there that uses God and the bible to twist and turn the words to make it what they see and want it to mean. I don't think people who don't believe in a God are all immoral. A lot of the times it the ones who believe in a God that scare me the most.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

George Washington Quotes
The first amendment creates a wall of seperation between church and state .... Thomas Jefferson letter to Danbury church 1802 .... This guy CRAFTED America not just run it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or