U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM

878 posts, read 1,850,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Trinity Broadcast Network made 444 million tax free dollars last year .. With the tax money we could make from these parasites a bailout would never have been needed ...
The amount of intellectual vacuity in a statement like this is baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,806,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl
Since they can't keep their profits in cash, many use them to expand instead of cutting prices or writing off debts for people in need. If they had to start paying some property taxes on the expansions, they might decide to perform some charity instead of pursuing the revenue to build their next pet project.
Do you think that "writing off debts for people in need" isn't charity?
Writing off the debts for people in need would be charity.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM

765 posts, read 1,684,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
The amount of intellectual vacuity in a statement like this is baffling.
pure fact i proved my point now prove yours.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 AM

6,931 posts, read 9,631,927 times
Quote:
How did you prove it? What percentage of tax on TBN's $444 million do you propose? say it was as high as 50%? Even 90%? How is that a dent in $700 Billion?

I am ordained and have worked on a large church staff. I did receive some tax relief on housing expenses that I don't get now that I am not working in a minstry related position, but I still paid taxes, medicare, SS, etc. Those on staff that did not have ordination could not claim this housing deduction and pay full taxes on income they make working at such an institution.

This institution also pays taxes to local governments in form of sales taxes when they purchase services and supplies. I was in charge of the music ministry of my church. Do you think I got a break when I bought music or musical instruments or sound equipment? Do you think we didn't have to pay taxes to the AC repairman or the plumber or electrician? Do you think taxes weren't paid on the food that was purchased and prepared for community events?

If you think so, perhaps you should go to a local church near you and ask to see their budget. Most are open and will let you see where all monies go. Stop using a handful of televangelist's extravagance to smear the work that 99.9% of local churches are doing within their communities.

You make it sound like everybody that attends a church does not pay taxes to support the infrastructure of the community surrounding a church. A church (or any non-profit for that matter) is an institution of American citizens that PAY TAXES! So, now you want to double tax them?

The argument to tax a church because of the separation of church and state is one of the looniest statements I have read in these forums and I have seen a number of them. And despite Jefferson's use of the term "separation" or "wall" between church and state in a letter, this is not the wording in the constitution. The first amendment starts with these exact words:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Taxing = laws = prohibition of free exercise.

You have lost your point with the first amendment of the bill of rights. Slam dunk.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM

878 posts, read 1,850,280 times
Quote:
Sure.

If the Federal government had taxed TBN's $444 million at the highest tax rate (35%) last year, it would have received income of $155 million.

The bailout passed this October was due to a lack of financial reserves due to the foreclosure boom and falling home prices. An extra $155 million to the government, or even $444 million, would not have saved a single home from foreclosure. It was not until after the crisis appeared that the federal government got involved, thereby making tax dollars available to the private sector.

Ergo, higher taxes, on churches, private citizens, or corporations, would have had no net effect on the $700b bailout plan.

QED.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM

765 posts, read 1,684,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Sure.

If the Federal government had taxed TBN's $444 million at the highest tax rate (35%) last year, it would have received income of $155 million.

The bailout passed this October was due to a lack of financial reserves due to the foreclosure boom and falling home prices. An extra $155 million to the government, or even $444 million, would not have saved a single home from foreclosure. It was not until after the crisis appeared that the federal government got involved, thereby making tax dollars available to the private sector.

Ergo, higher taxes, on churches, private citizens, or corporations, would have had no net effect on the $700b bailout plan.

QED.
How about Pat Robertson net worth over 1 Billion tax free dollars..... Joel Olsteen 55 million.... Cf Dollar 18 million ....ALL tax free... When christianity began it was a personal . It wen to Athens it became philosophy.... It went to Rome it became an organization... It came to America it became a business... yes taxing these idiot could go a long way... www.inplainsite.com

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 640 times
There is a video called at America: Freedom to Fascism that I urge everyone to watch. The truth will set you free. Find out where the real deception and con lays. I believe that before we speak out on a topic we should have knowledge on the subject-in this case I'm referring to the constitution, taxation, and freedom-

Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,353,948 times
You know, a lot of really tedious arguments here by people who have never darkened the door of a church and have even less understanding of how a church's finances work. I sit on the vestry of my church (The Board of Directors) and we supervise every dime that comes in and goes out the door. I also know that we have considerable income from retail rental properties around our church.

I know what the clergy make, and I know what things cost. I also know how much we spend on outreach to the homeless, abused women, GED instruction and job training, debt relief for the indigent, and a host of other worthy causes. I can say with absolute certainty that the clergy in our church do not make large salaries and typically work 50-60 hours a week. I also know that running the host of services for our parishioners, maintaining the grounds, etc., are terribly expensive. Typically, in those rare years where our income substantially outstrips our expenses, the surplus goes into our foundation fund to support maintenance and other unanticipated expenses. Just three years ago, we had to shell out $500,000 to replace a century-old slate roof, and to perform much-needed repairs to stained glass windows that are an artistic treasure.

So, yeah, while there's probably a megachurch out there that abuses the largesse of its flock, the vast majority of churches operate on a shoestring and deliver enormous benefit to both their parishioners and the surrounding community--far beyond what tiny income could possibly be derived from taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or