U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,406,843 times

Advertisements

There are a number of popular charitable organizations out there, such as Make a Wish and Give Kids the World that send terminally ill children and their families to Disneyworld, and things like that. And support for charities like those are huge. I've been to a number of stores and restaurant chains where they automatically donate a portion of the profits to these organizations or where they ask for a $1 donation-- which I have done before. I am in no way saying these charitable organizations do not have a good purpose and bring happiness to the children and their families. I am totally in favor of the concept of giving charity, and think it's a great idea when at the cash register they ask you if you'd like to give a $1 donation. Many people won't go out of their way to give to charity, but if you give them a choice to make a small little donation tacked on to whatever purchases they were already going to make, will opt to do it.

My only question is-- of all the wonderful charities out there and causes to support-- is this wonderful cause the MOST wonderful of all the wonderful causes out there? What about donations to organizations helping fight the many diseases that make people, young and old, become terminally ill in the first place-- breast cancer, leukemia, heart, kidney, lung failure, etc? Or foodbanks and organizations helping fight hunger, both at home and abroad? Organizations whose mission it is to extend and improve the chances of life for those who are already living? I might be totally wrong here-- and I'd like to hear your honest opinions, which is why I opened up this thread-- but it seems to me like these organizations about giving a "last hurrah" for kids who are basically considered the living dead. These kids have to pass medical diagnosis that they are ill enough to be considered for the trip. I was even at this one place where at the soda machine they had a giant picture of a 2 year saying his last wish is to go to Disneyworld. How does a 2 year old even know what Disneyworld is? I like the idea of adding on $1 contributions to purchases, but why does it seem like it always has to be this particular cause-- instead of other causes that I feel are even more relatively important?

This could also lead to a general discussion-- assuming you want to help out a little but don't give infinite sums of money to charities, how should you personally decide which charities/causes you support over others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 02:45 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,864,967 times
I'd rather contribute to a charity that was going to help the healthy children of dying young adults. When a prime adult dies we lose a productive person with dependants and that's much more of a loss than a child.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:37 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times
One could make an argument that the people who receive the least amount of attention are the children whose fathers (and mothers) are in prison. These kids are as innocent of any wrongdoing as anybody else is, and there are probably about 2-million of them, living without fathers, without the financial and moral support of fathers, and virtually without any sympathy for their emotional distress and poverty. They are, in fact, often held up to ridicule, if not blame, for circumstances for which they are in no way responsible. Even when their father is released, it will be nearly impossible for him to get a job enabling his family to enjoy a lifestyle above the poverty line.

If we continue to do nothing to help these children, they have a greater likelihood of following in ther father's footsteps, extending exactly the same social injustice into another generation.

As for Charities---I do not give to charities, because I know too many people who are desperately deserviing of assistance and the so-called charities give them sweet bugger all. I prefer to just hand out money to people at a moment in time when it will make a differnce in their life. Then is when they need it, and there's nobody else who will give it to them.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-28-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM

7,090 posts, read 7,241,273 times
I don't give crap to those, never know how much of that money actually reaches the charity.

Sorry to say, I'm a jerk I don't give much to charities..nothing to those who give a handout. I give a little to those who give a hand up. Kids are different, but to adults I really hold people accountable to their bad decisions. I would never give to programs that help people doing drugs keep doing their thing, I think that's horrible.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,736,943 times
I believe that you give to the causes that mean something to you personally. My cousin died of Leukemia at age 6. Make a Wish and A Mother's Kiss on Long Island helped her and her family during their time of need. I give to these and to St. Jude's Children's hospital. I also volunteer my time working with a girl who was in the foster care system because I wanted to work one on one with a child. There are other causes that I support with my time and money.

I don't imagine donating time or money to just one charity or cause would satisfy me. There are many causes that are dear to me. I don't think there's any one charity or cause that is the ULTIMATE. Its what matters to you, and that you want to be a part of.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,864,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I would never give to programs that help people doing drugs keep doing their thing, I think that's horrible.

You know if you think about it it would probably be cheaper to just give addicts their drugs and sit them in a room somewhere to get high until they waste away and die. Then they won't steal to get drugs and probably won't reproduce either.

It's gotta be cheaper in the long run.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:25 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,922,283 times
Having known three children with brain cancer (two who died and one who is still fighting) I do believe in Make a Wish. The respite from the never ending illness with dreams of going to Disney World comforted the two prior to their deaths, even though neither lived long enough to go on their trip. The third child was able to meet his hero, and even though he is only 6 that meeting has given him the courage to fight his cancer. Plus, it gives his parents one good memory to cling to in case the cancer wins.
I give to charties for children, after all they are truly innocent and vulnerable in this world and the most needing of help.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:30 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,799,785 times
I think as this thread grows, many wonderful fine charities will be represented. It makes for a great country when such a vast amount of charitable causes are available for each individual's heart strings.

The important thing is for everyone to find where their heart is and to make a commitment to the charity that means the most to them.

I personally give generously to the Red Cross since I know first hand what an incredible organization they are.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:25 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times
This issue breaks down into about three bulky subdivisions of recipeitns of charitable giving.
1. People who are going to die soon anyway
2. People who can be kept alive, but highly dependent and not fully functional.
3. People who can to return to a normal-ish lifestlye.

One needs to rank these in some prioritized order, in order to address the OP question.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:35 PM

873 posts, read 1,046,127 times
This is bound to get flak from someone but I've noticed that virtually all disasters have scores of people giving to people. As we've seen in the past, charities are often given so much money and directed at one specific event, that they have leftover money that has been unwisely spent. Therefore, I give to the animals who are suffering.

As far as humans go, I give to friends and or neighbors if and when it's needed and if I have it to give.

I've been in the fundraising business long enough to know that all it takes is for one overly zealous director with too much money, to distribute it all wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates