U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM

145 posts, read 466,243 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that too many live in the moment and never think responsibly about their future needs. Many are also grossly inconsistent in their voting. I consider many in my state to be horribly uniformed. California is just about the highest taxed state across the board. Our voters voted for every proposition that increased our already considerable tax burden. We have passed the 'Pie-in-the-sky' props while the states budget continues to fail and wonder who is to blame for our tax burden! Look in a mirror and think before you vote, before you protest, and before you support something of which you know nothing about. Research and be informed! This is also a good template for your personal responsibilities. Think before you sign. Research what you sign. Know what you are signing. Credit burdens and overspending are a large part of what ails the common American. No one is owed a house. A house is a symbol of achievement and good planning, not an opportunity to get one over on the banks or a pyramid scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,488,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What has happened to this country?
Why are we no longer willing to make the tough financial decisions necessary to keep this country great? How much more will we push onto future generations?
Do people even think of this? Or is it a not-my-problem attitude?
When did greed not only become ok, but the norm?
When did taxes of any sort become evil? Why do people feel they have a right to not pay any?
are we dooming ourselves, and future generations?
I agree.

When did it become OK for people to NOT take personal responsibility for their financial situation?

When did it become the norm for people to NOT live within their means?

When did it become OK for people to live the high-life then when they could not meet their debts they could just walk away and indirectly leave the rest of is to pay for it.

Forget acts by Congress, etc. - take this to the place it really belongs -- on the shoulders of all of us.

As to taxes, we are paying our more-than-fair share. I have no problem paying our taxes but I do get upset on how it is spent and that we really have no say in where it goes.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,757,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
At what point do taxes become too heavy of a burden? My husband and I are currently paying 40% of our income between income and property taxes. Why on earth would anyone think that we aren't paying our share and that we should pay more?
So what did you do, base your personal finance decisions on your gross income?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,947,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So what did you do, base your personal finance decisions on your gross income?
Not sure if I could make it clearer. My income puts us into a tax bracket that really jumps our taxes up. If I quit my job, the difference in taxes between the two brackets would make up for about half of what I make. I could then concentrate on freelance work which has a TON of writeoffs. It would make up for the lost W-2 income without increasing the tax liability back into the higher bracket. My current employer doesn't offer a 401K match, and our insurance is through my husbands employer, so I wouldn't be losing benefits.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
I strongly believe we are watching the quiet, slow-motion imposition of a police state. No, I don't think there's a cabal of people rubbing their hands in anticipation of dictatorship. Instead, I think the growth of the Federal government requires the subordination of autonomy on the state and local levels.

Think about it. Just today, it came to light that, under a little-known order from the Executive Branch, a unit of the army is now training for civil disorder--a clearcut departure from the Posse Comitatus Act. It is now possible for the Federal government to seize any American citizen who poses a security threat to the country, however nebulous, and hold that person without benefit of Habeas Corpus for years. Wiretaps don't require a judge's okay. Torture is now allowed, no matter what you call it. All in pursuit of the laudable goal of preventing another 9/11. Yet, how do we define the threat? Where do we draw the line? In our haste to enjoy perfect safety, we have given up a lot without so much as a peep.

Then, of course, we have the ongoing War On Drugs. Heck, nobody is in favor of our kids doing drugs, myself included. But, in our desire to keep our kids off drugs, we have given up our right to due process. Need an example? Your teenaged son gives a ride to a buddy. That friend, even unbeknownst to you, has a joint on him. The two are arrested at a traffic stop. But your car is confiscated by the government, without hearing, without your day in court.

Need another example? An Ohio landscaper, when taking his annual trip to Texas to buy plants for the upcoming season, chose to buy his airplane ticket with cash while producing his ID to do it. This created a red flag for the local Federal Drug Authorities, who took him in for questioning and confiscated his cash, never to be seen again. Not because he was breaking the law, but because of a vague suspicion that he might have been breaking the law. Forget the fact that, on every dollar bill is the statement, "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." The government suddenly doesn't like your paying cash for a plane ticket, so off you go to questioning.

And, of course, a scant 1.5 months ago, we basically panicked and nationalized the banking system in this country, handing complete unchecked authority over to the treasury secretary, making Paulson the most powerful man in the country. Now, it doesn't matter to anybody that Paulson is no longer using the bailout money in the way he originally intended. All that matters is that he's doing something.

The problem here is that both Democrats and Republicans are complicit in the erosion of our civil liberties, from Woodrow Wilson all the way to W. We have seen the Federal government as the way to solve our societal ills, and have been willing to take shortcuts along the way. The result? We have much more abbreviated freedoms than we did 100 years ago. Sure, there has been notable progress along the way, most notably the enfranchisement of women and minorities. But in everyday life, we have ceded an appalling number of rights, rights that we will desperately want back in the next 20 years.

Do I believe we will have jackboots parading up and down the street? Probably not. However, we will watch more and more decisions taken out of our hands for our own good or in the nebulously-define interests of 'fairness.' Until we don't have many decisions at all to make.

So wake up. Pay attention to what's going on. Start watching C-Span rather than Dancing With The Stars. Because there's way too much at stake for we citizens to be asleep at the switch.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
The current problem is that everyone always wants everything fixed right now. It took time to get into this mess, and it will take years of patient rebuilding to replace the foundations of a strong economy.

However, that is unacceptable, so the strategies tend to be (as they have been with this now now now mentality) more about throwing large amounts of money at the problem, even though that has been proven not to always work that well.

Why do you think Obama won?

If some candidate had said, "In my term of office, few things will actually get fixed, but we will start building for a better tomorrow that may take years to come, but will be built on a solid foundation," they would have been laughed out of the election.

If someone comes up and says, "Radical change! Radical change is what we need right now to fix everything!" they get elected.

This is fast food society. You'd better have some quick answers.
And be prepared to throw around a lot of tax payer money so it looks like you're doing something.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,241,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
most people just love complaining and not doing.. with internet, mail, phone, fax, blackberrys its easy to find all politicians info and send them a complaint.. also join your local neighborhood assoc.. politicians always go there.. sponsor rally's and go to your local governor's mansion and make your words be heard.. fight for what you believe in or don't fight at all.
that brings up a good point.

anyone know the best way to contact one of your state reps AND get them to take your ideas seriously?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 AM

4,708 posts, read 7,561,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I strongly believe we are watching the quiet, slow-motion imposition of a police state. No, I don't think there's a cabal of people rubbing their hands in anticipation of dictatorship. Instead, I think the growth of the Federal government requires the subordination of autonomy on the state and local levels.

I'm interested in your elaborating on these thoughts. The police state would be defending the present division between the classes? Or would be the muscle behind an increasingly fascist establishment?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Take your antisemitism elsewhere.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
if you dont like America then GET OUT
That is not how you fix things, but can we assume when you don't like the way things are going here that you will leave, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates