Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

What has happened to this country?

Why are we no longer willing to make the tough financial decisions necessary to keep this country great? How much more will we push onto future generations?

Do people even think of this? Or is it a not-my-problem attitude?

When did greed not only become ok, but the norm?

When did taxes of any sort become evil? Why do people feel they have a right to not pay any?

are we dooming ourselves, and future generations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What has happened to this country?

Why are we no longer willing to make the tough financial decisions necessary to keep this country great? How much more will we push onto future generations?
This depends on who we have in Congress and the White House. We haven't had a strong congress for over 30 years. Special interest groups seem to have more of a strangle hold than I can ever recall.

Quote:
Do people even think of this? Or is it a not-my-problem attitude?
A little of both, I think. People expect (as well they should) their elected officials to properly handle these things.

Quote:
When did greed not only become ok, but the norm?
This is an interesting question. I feel there was a difinitive change this direction about 16 years ago in all sectors of the country.

Quote:
When did taxes of any sort become evil? Why do people feel they have a right to not pay any?
It's related to greed as well. Taxes have always (and always will so long as we have this type of tax structure) been a hot bed issue. A real sound bite for politicians.

Quote:
are we dooming ourselves, and future generations?
I think so. At some point in time there is going to be a reckoning. Some generation (or two) will have to bear the accountability for the mistakes of so many before them. It's very sad to think it may be my children or grand children.

[/quote]

Old 11-30-2008, 09:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
We have no say as citizens anymore. We have allowed a system where elected officials are completely unaccountable to our wishes and they know it. Americans sat by while the central bank was installed and allowed their earnings to be taken by income tax. They sat by while countless laws were passed to steal their freedoms. They allowed the Government to grow so large that it strangled the economy. We let the elite control things and look at where we ended up. The average person is too concerned with getting laid to care about their future.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 PM

217 posts, read 416,791 times
most people just love complaining and not doing.. with internet, mail, phone, fax, blackberrys its easy to find all politicians info and send them a complaint.. also join your local neighborhood assoc.. politicians always go there.. sponsor rally's and go to your local governor's mansion and make your words be heard.. fight for what you believe in or don't fight at all.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM

89 posts, read 303,162 times
if you dont like America then GET OUT

Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
If we took away the provision to allow tack ons to bills I think it will help out a bit. People can vote a great new legislation into law, then 4 years later a new senator or person can tack on some thing that guts the previous to a provision onto a popular bill where they have nothing to do with each other. If politicians vote not to pass the popular bill, they will be seen as terrible even if they explain the end run around.

It will make things more complex, but take it away IMHO. Allow people to vote on each bill individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
If you don't like America, change it for the best. That's what the previous generations did. If people just left it wouldn't be the great nation it is today.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We have no say as citizens anymore. We have allowed a system where elected officials are completely unaccountable to our wishes and they know it. Americans sat by while the central bank was installed and allowed their earnings to be taken by income tax. They sat by while countless laws were passed to steal their freedoms. They allowed the Government to grow so large that it strangled the economy. We let the elite control things and look at where we ended up. The average person is too concerned with getting laid to care about their future.

I disagree. So long as we have a relatively honest (we're now seeing unprecedented voter fraud) systems of elections the people will always have a voice.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post

OR, get involved and make it better.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
mantra of the 21st century, im not so bad.
somehow somewhere along the road john wayne became marie antoinette

Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
At what point do taxes become too heavy of a burden? My husband and I are currently paying 40% of our income between income and property taxes. Why on earth would anyone think that we aren't paying our share and that we should pay more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates