Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times

Advertisements

Big Three back on Capitol Hill asking for help - Dec. 4, 2008

The executives for the Big 3 continue to come back to congress for aid. I feel their pain, but the fact of the matter is that poor management has led to a collapse of their businesses. I also fail to understand why they don’t have some fall-back plan. For example, Ford’s biggest losses are in their SUV line, then trucks, then cars. Why not cut out the SUV’s, minimize the trucks and work on the cars mainly. I know the unions have already made concessions, but maybe they could make some more in order to keep the company afloat. Tough times call for tough decisions- not a handout (ie, “loan”) from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
I think it's SO cute they drove over in little hybrid cars this time.

too little too late it seems like

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Also admitted that $38 Billion is only a down payment, and the total will be $125 - 150 BILLION.

Big 3, know a good bankruptcy lawyer?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

The executives for the Big 3 continue to come back to congress for aid. I feel their pain, but the fact of the matter is that poor management has led to a collapse of their businesses. I also fail to understand why they don’t have some fall-back plan. For example, Ford’s biggest losses are in their SUV line, then trucks, then cars. Why not cut out the SUV’s, minimize the trucks and work on the cars mainly. I know the unions have already made concessions, but maybe they could make some more in order to keep the company afloat. Tough times call for tough decisions- not a handout (ie, “loan”) from the government.
ever since the 80s, big three have essentially conceded the car market to Japanese automakers. They can't cut out the SUV because that's all they have.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
They (ceo's) cant do anything right, period!!

Too little too late.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

Problem is...without at least a bridge loan for the next few months, there won't be time to make any substantive changes to their business model. People throw around the word bankruptcy alot, but we shouldn't kid ourselves. A bankrupt GM, or a bankrupt Ford, will not come back. I don't much care for the decisions that have been made by Detroit, and they should be penalized for them. The penalties can only go up to a certain point, though, because the weight of these companies are of more importance than the companies themselves. Not bailing them out is well past that certain point.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Problem is without their bailout millions may go unemployed which will then lead into more people without health insurance coverage, which could then lead into a health care insurance system bailout because the system is an employer based system.
Thanks to all those at the top that have put the rest of us in a bind!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
begging and groveling is a skill. would i do it for 23 billion, ubetcha.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I guess what bugs me in all this is that we are told that it is 'unpatriotic' to buy a vehicle not made by "The Big Three" - even when their vehicles are prime examples of 'built-in obsolescence', have poor performance records, miserable safety records, are costly to maintain as well as to purchase, are fuel guzzlers; and, like the large fat cat, "Built for comfort, not for speed'. I admit it, I was a Chrysler and Ford Girl for YEARS - until the POS's I was buying and maintaining became not only prohibitive in price but fell apart more quickly. I scouted for six months before my next purchase - and found that Toyota not only met all of my requirements in a vehicle, had many components that were standard rather than upcharged, but was reasonable in price as well as maintenance and fuel consumption. Because The Big Three would not - not could not - compete, they went down the path to bankruptcy. Toyota is at least put together here, so I was putting some money into American pockets. (Many of the Big Three's same components are shipped in. I once waited six weeks for a "Chrysler" engine to be shipped in from Japan, for my new car when it threw a rod, but that's another looong story.)

Now it seems that I will STILL have to pay for their incompetence, outrageous pricing, poor equipage, and overall poor quality vehicles, whether I actually BUY one or not. That, to me, is the most unAmerican act of all - selling cheap tawdry goods at high prices and demanding that other people pay for their poor business practices and profiteering. They to me are as bad as the woman driving the Cadillac, with multiple fatherless children, wearing her fur coat and standing in the Welfare line, demanding what is 'due' her. I don't 'owe' her a living, and I don't 'owe' them one. Too bad my elected officials seem to think otherwise.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
And after we bail out Big Auto, then we can look forward to bailing out Big Agriculture; then Big Insurance; then Big Technology. Where does the bailing out end?

If we taxpayers have the privilege to start a business and fail, then Big Auto should have that privilege as well. No special favors.

If Big Auto is "too big to be allowed to fail" then it must mean that I'm "too small to be succeed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates