U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
In business, one is supposed to say Happy Holidays.

Years ago, in the northeast, people didnt like this, but in areas where people are not Christian, they do take offense at the idea of Christmas. In fact, Bank of America was sued because a rep said Merry Christamas (over the phone, on a customer service call) while the cardholder was sitting shiva for her husband, I guess it was proven in court, as she won the case.

Im not defending it, but businesses have to be careful.
Do you have a link for that? I can't find anything on Google.

I pretty much celebrate Christmas the way the OP does.
Despite the fact that Christmas is a federal holiday, America is a big place and I don't assume that every citizen is home drinking eggnog on December 25th.
I can see how businesses might be more careful, but I think it depends on the type of business and its location.
When declaring the greetings of the season, I neither go out of my way to say "Happy Holidays" nor do I proclaim "Merry Christmas" with a tone of expectant challenge in my voice. I guess I sort of do it on a case-by-case basis, but it's not as though I carefully ponder over the appropriate words.
It's not that difficult to strike a middle of the road path.
IMHO it takes more effort to be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,154,207 times
I'm happy to get any greeting at all, as opposed to the normal eye-contact avoidance and defensive posture most strangers give. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa... whatever! Have a nice day.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM

765 posts, read 1,681,247 times
Merry Christmas is more indicative to the christians and their beliefs where Happy Holidays is more broad in spectrum and encompasses all beliefs from the jews to the pagans. And it seems to me the militant Christians bring more hate and strife to the issue than anyone else.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 AM

3,528 posts, read 7,166,435 times
At this point, I will gladly welcome anyone's words that wish me well. I will appreciate whatever good they have to say and don't care how they word it.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,349,275 times
I LOVE when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me because it's so rare and so real! I don't mention any holiday to people unless I know they celebrate Christmas. Otherwise I don't mention anything because I don't know much about the other holidays and could not have a real conversation about them. Also you can't assume people celebrate this or that, and someone might be offended if I did assume. If in doubt it's better to talk about how cold it is or how much snow we're going to get or whatever.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

268 posts, read 942,667 times
But this all goes to what I was trying to suggest which is that Christmas is no longer just a religious celebration but a secular one, more akin to Thanksgiving or the 4th of July. Yes, maybe Native Americans would hate being reminded of Thanksgiving, or the British would hate being greeted a Happy 4th (I know certain parts of Texas are careful not to celebrate Columbus Day), but that's really grinding a very old, dull axe.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Is Christmas a religious holiday anymore? I've been hearing about it since thanksgiving, hypnotizing people to buy more and more crap.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,002,940 times
I personally do not like hearing "Merry Christmas". It is Yuletide and a holiday stolen from Pagans. But whatever.

If someone says it to me, I thank them. What I do not get are the people who say "I say Merry Christmas no matter what! Even if the other person does not celebrate it." Way to be rude.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM

878 posts, read 1,846,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I personally do not like hearing "Merry Christmas". It is Yuletide and a holiday stolen from Pagans. But whatever.
How was it stolen? Are only Pagans allowed to have winter celebrations now? Do Christians prohibit Pagans from saying "Happy Yuletide"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If someone says it to me, I thank them. What I do not get are the people who say "I say Merry Christmas no matter what! Even if the other person does not celebrate it." Way to be rude.
How is this rude? They are wishing the other person to have a good holiday, not trying to push their religion on anyone (as so many Christianphobes are acutely afraid of). Being wished a "Merry Christmas" can't turn you into an evil bible-thumping racist Christian intolerant redneck homophobe (I think I got all the stereotypes in there).

So (for the other atheists) take a "Merry Christmas" in the spirit it is given, rather than trying to ascribe some ulterior motive to the speaker.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,050,577 times
Well there's the other side of the coin...take Christmas out of everything...fine. But what holiday, exactly, is the one that fuels the economy this time of the year? Not Chanukah and not Kwanza or Ramadan or anything else....

Maybe "happy Amex-debt day" is more appropriate?

Biotch about all the 'Merry Christmas" assumers, decorations in the stores, songs on the radio..fine. Lose the decorations, change the innocent fun-loving time of year for the vocal minority. Lose the shoppers too. Lose jobs. Who cares as long as those crazy Christians don't get to celebrate their holiday as they always have b/c it's so darn evil and unacceptable and secular and pagan and whatever. And GOD/G-D/Goddess forbid you need to look at a tree with lights on it while in a mall or a school.

How open-minded ARE you? Oh, I know. As long as it ain't CHRISTIAN-based, it's A-OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates