Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 AM

268 posts, read 1,050,203 times

Advertisements

Let me put this up front: I am an atheist, but I celebrate Christmas.

No, I do not go to mass, I do not sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus, but I put up a Christmas tree, I put on holiday music, I give presents, I am especially charitable on this holiday. I tend to think that Christmas has become a secular holiday (and no, let's not get into a discussion of how Christmas is really a Christian coopting of solstice - it's a tired discussion).

And I have no problems saying, "Merry Christmas", or having someone say it to me. I would argue that Christmas has gone beyond its original inent of marking the coming of a particular religion's most important figure. It has become something that we as a community share - whether you are a Christian or not.

Some of you may disagree and think it un-PC, and prefer the generic "Happy Holidays".

What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I like "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year". I have had in the past some Jewish friends whom I respected on an individual basis - but they were still invited to all my Christmas parties (and they came).

When you consider that the Christian memorial was immersed into pagan Winter Solstice celebrations many years ago, and recent attempts to co-opt those pagan traditions with Christian 'explanations' in Christian context have become increasingly prevalent, I think that "Merry Christmas" has an increasingly generic connotation. "Happy Holidays", for my part, is too generic - it means celebrate whatever, whenever, however - it doesn't sound like a sincere wish, more of a backhanded acknowledgement that something, somewhere, may be going on, like May Day or Spring Fling. I don't send Holiday Cards (or ecards) I send Christmas cards that celebrate the beauty of winter as well as the resilience of the human spirit. Christians take them in the spirit they choose, non-Christians do the same, everyone's happy.

I pretty much object to being PC anyway; people choose to be offended or not to be offended in every and any instance. Those who choose to be offended are not worth my time or effort, and I waste neither on them. Those who can accept a compliment, greeting, or wish in the spirit it is intended, are. The latter are a lot more fun to be with anyway. As I told a Polish friend once - "What, you can't think of any Irish jokes?" - and - she hiccuped. Grin. As an Irishwoman I can appreciate humor, even and sometimes especially if it is directed at me! Some folks need to just get over themselves.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
In business, one is supposed to say Happy Holidays.

Years ago, in the northeast, people didnt like this, but in areas where people are not Christian, they do take offense at the idea of Christmas. In fact, Bank of America was sued because a rep said Merry Christamas (over the phone, on a customer service call) while the cardholder was sitting shiva for her husband, I guess it was proven in court, as she won the case.

Im not defending it, but businesses have to be careful.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:42 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
In business, one is supposed to say Happy Holidays.

Years ago, in the northeast, people didnt like this, but in areas where people are not Christian, they do take offense at the idea of Christmas. In fact, Bank of America was sued because a rep said Merry Christamas (over the phone, on a customer service call) while the cardholder was sitting shiva for her husband, I guess it was proven in court, as she won the case.

Im not defending it, but businesses have to be careful.
To me that is stupid.

If she was sitting shiva for her husband and they said Happy Hanukkah would she have sued because she was depressed?

I celebrate multiple religious holidays, including Christmas, and do not mind at all if the cashier says Merry Christmas to me. If I was shopping in an all Jewish area with stores owned by Jewish people I wouldn't' be offended if they said Happy Hanukkah to me. If I had my head covered because it was cold and they said Happy Eid that would be fine too.

It is just not a big deal. People are getting over sensitive about this issue.

If someone says "Merry Christmas" to you and you don't like it, just respond with "No, thanks!" and get over it.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I used to dream of being a defense lawyer for those sorts of cases. The law wasn't written to line people into neat orderly piles of identical beliefs, but to enforce individual rights. That's why we're a Constitutional Republic (everyone has a right to his or her own lifestyle and beliefs) and NOT, as so many blithely state, a "democracy" (mob rule). While I have dealt with over-the-top Christians on the phone asking me to pray with them, or in the workplace leaving out conversion pamphlets, my attitude has always been one of a sense of humor and a "no, thanks - you believe your way, I'll believe mine". Otherwise it's merely a power play for those who cannot gain power over others in any other way.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Merry Christmas to all.

People need more to do if they have the energy to sue over someone saying Merry Christmas. If we worked as hard as our ancestors, we'd be too tired to complain about such things. Political correctness is getting insane.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Merry Christmas to you, too!

This whole "holiday" thing is getting ridiculous! I don't consider myself a "Christian", but I do celebrate Christmas with the tree, decorations, gifts, etc....I just don't do the church thing!
Folks need to learn tolerance! We also own a business and we post Merry Christmas stuff all over the place! So far, our customers like it!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I say both depending on the first one that comes out of my mouth. I'm too old to start complicating the holiday season with being politically correct.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
Since I celebrate Christmas, I say Merry Christmas! I have friends who do not celebrate Christmas and they still receive a Christmas card from me. I don't believe in changing my holiday sayings because of someone else. Saying Merry Christmas is not a racial slur, it's not derrogatory nor is it insensitve as some would like to try and say. Merry Christmas is a simple cheerful greeting and if someone else wished me a happy holiday greeting through their religion or holiday preference, I would not take offense to it!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I used to dream of being a defense lawyer for those sorts of cases.
It rather makes me dream of being king and decreeing that from this point forward, no one can ever sue anyone else because they're offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates