U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,246,246 times

Advertisements

I think lookig at just what the predominate relgion was in western coutnries at their peak of power its evident that the cetholic relgion is no hinderance.But then lookig at the mix in this coutnry its seem no relgion especailly christianity is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM

91 posts, read 72,554 times
Well, France is the perhaps the greatest democracy in the world, and has historically been Catholic. Today however it has a secular Iranian-French president. All other majority Catholic countries are Third World however, so this is a double-edged sword. Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, and Latin America are all made up of Catholic nations. Not sure but I thought East Germany is/was Catholic too, while the historic West Germany was majority Lutheran. Perhaps Lutheran philosophy helped West German companies (Benz, BMW, VW, Porsche, SAP, Siemens, Bayer, etc.) get rich?

I also see a direct link between Islam and poverty. Muslims are concentrated in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, and Asia, which are all poor regions to begin with. But it seems like the Muslim countries are most unstable. Maybe their embargoes against America, Israel, and the rest of the West perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

Also, another sad but fascinating trend is that European countries dominated by ethnic groups with dark skin are Third World, while European countries where the people look more white American are rich. Strangely Italy, Greece, and Russia all have homogeneous ethnic identities but have two kinds of people based on looks. Perhaps all Southern Europeans and Eastern Europeans are of either Arab, gypsy, or distant Jewish descent? If so, maybe these parts of Europe still struggle because those ancient immigrants never really adjusted to Western society.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,151,440 times
I'm probably going to catch a lot of frack for saying this, but I believe all organized religions were designed by man and for the purpose of controlling people. The catholic religion in particular was designed to keep the masses poor. By being anti birth control you insure that the vast majority of Catholic families will be poor or at least struggling. I knew one once that had 10 kids. The dad had a good paying job, but with ten kids it always amounted to not enough money to go around and even as a kid at the time myself it wasn't hard to see this. Money is power like it or not. If you as church and religious leaders make sure people can't hold on to any money for long, you can have power over them, though it is under the guise of being there to help them. The other advantage to the no birth control thing of course is catholic population may outnumber other religions that allow it.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,890,114 times
A lot of people are saying that Catholicism = higher birth rates and higher birth rates = higher rates of poverty.

The latter is true but not the former. As a demographer by hobby, I always find it extremely humorous how people stereotype Catholics as being more fertile than their Protestant counterparts. They aren't. And there have been only short lived periods throughout history that they have out birthed Protestants and there are an equal number of times when Protestants have out-birthed Catholics. In the modern day, the Protestant countries of Europe out birth the Catholic countries significantly (exceptions being Ireland and France, which are coincidently the least practicing of the Catholic countries and ironically have a long history of low birth rates in Europe).

*A side note, Slavic ethnic groups of all forms of faith retained higher birth rates much longer than Germanic or Romance Europeans. This is for complicated reasons. Ethnic Poles for instance had very high birth rates well into the 20th century, but it was not because of their Catholicism, it was because Industrialization reached Eastern Europe much later than West or South Europe.

I think it's more of the anti-capitalistic nature of Catholicism that keeps its adherents impoverished. It is a very collectivist and authoritarian form of Christianity that does not inspire any form of innovation.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM

12,999 posts, read 17,178,877 times
Looking specifically at the United States, I don't see much of a relationship between Catholicism and poverty. Many of the highest-ranked states in median household income are majority- or plurality-Catholic, and many of the lowest-ranked states are majority- or plurality-Protestant. And that doesn't even mean that Protestantism induces poverty either.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM

131 posts, read 198,106 times
Religion in general is most prominent in 3rd world countries. Even if you look at the states, crime is higher, drop out rates are higher, and homophobia is more prevalent in states with the highest percentage of weekly church goers. You can guess the states I'm referring to yourself- but the safest states (I.e Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine etc) are on the opposite end of that scale with the highest atheism/agnostic rates.

Religion preaches morality, but the main reason so many people claim to be religios is because they fear the consequences if they don't. Even if they're full of **** living a life of sin, they're being "forgiven" and pray for the lottery. Religious groups aren't the most innovative groups either , I'll tell you that much.

Last edited by ImOnTheMove; 02-28-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM

91 posts, read 72,554 times
"Islam" (the word) literally means "submission (to God)", and Islam has often been described as a religion of "submission". The Amish religion also is built around "submission" and even though the Amish are strongly anti-war (the opposite of Muslim jihad?), I could never be Amish. To me the Amish lifestyle sounds like living in a prison. For example, their church forbids the use of musical instruments because they are "immodest" and "stir up emotions". Geez!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM

396 posts, read 920,924 times
The Protestant work ethic made America a wealthy nation, when it had only recently been wilderness.

Catholicism has always sucked out the wealth of the people to build edifices for the power elite. Perhaps this is part of the reason that Catholic nations become intertwined with Communism, a philosophy that appeals to the property-less (that, and the humanism that pervades Catholicism).

As Catholicism gains strength in the U.S., and conservative Protestantism loses strength, America's wealth has become stratified, because that is what Catholicism does. Eventually, the system won't be able to support itself, or Catholicism will become marginalized, as it is in France.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM

396 posts, read 920,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Looking specifically at the United States, I don't see much of a relationship between Catholicism and poverty. Many of the highest-ranked states in median household income are majority- or plurality-Catholic, and many of the lowest-ranked states are majority- or plurality-Protestant. And that doesn't even mean that Protestantism induces poverty either.
What you will find is that the states that are wealthy usually were not historically predominantly Catholic, even if they are, now. They usually did not become wealthy while dominated by Catholicism.

Wikipedia lists states by prevalence of Catholicism:

Rank Largest single denomination
1 Rhode Island 63% Catholic (founded by Baptists, non-conformists)
2 Pennsylvania 53% (founded by Quakers for all)
3 Massachusetts 44% (began as Puritan, Anglican, then Unitarian)
4 New Jersey 39%
5 California 37%
6 New York 36%
7 New Hampshire 35%
8 Connecticut 34%
9 Texas 32%
10 Arizona 31%
11 Illinois 30%
Louisiana
North Dakota Lutheran
14 Wisconsin 29% Catholic
15 Nebraska 28%
16 Florida 26%
New Mexico
Vermont

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM

890 posts, read 2,420,433 times
You have to look back further in history on which countries conquered and exploited the country in question.

You have to look at how the government morphed from then to now.
You can look at how corruption still persist today in those countries.

You have to look at how the natural resources of that country was handled, and how the profit from it was used. Was it used to enrich the few, or invested to enrich a better society?

Religion, such as Catholics most likely have become the social safety net of that country if there is no strong social welfare institutions exist.

Bums, lazy, useless citizens exist in all society including highly developed countries. There are also brilliant, productive, and caring citizens in all society even in poor third world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates