U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,515,709 times

Advertisements

If people are selfless, and I know a good number that are, it's pretty easy to have people walk all over you for their selfish goals. I have a good friend I wish I could teach being selfish to, so he would not spend his days and nights catering to the every whim of his family and friends crazy demands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,415,898 times
I wish I knew selfless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
If people are selfless, and I know a good number that are, it's pretty easy to have people walk all over you for their selfish goals. I have a good friend I wish I could teach being selfish to, so he would not spend his days and nights catering to the every whim of his family and friends crazy demands.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,591,554 times
I try and not be selfish to people I know including friends and family.

The point is, that since the federal goverment taxes the crap out of me, and then wastes that money on stupidity, then says it is for the poor and the like, then why in the hell should i give anything to the poor.

I know it would be the right thing to do, but if the feds are stealing my money for the lazy and those unwilling to work, then why should i help them out.

I do donate to causes that I believe in, both time and money. But I refuse to help those that are either unwilling to work or too lazy to get off their butt and go out and get a job.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do donate to causes that I believe in, both time and money. But I refuse to help those that are either unwilling to work or too lazy to get off their butt and go out and get a job.
Same, I do include tweakers in there too (unwilling, because they know better).

Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 PM

3,833 posts, read 6,202,487 times
Good post, with lots of good responses and all with good points. There are lazy people and scam artists who would let you give your last nickel and laugh as you walk away. Then there are others with genuine needs. The other night on the Nightly News they read a few of the Christmas letters addressed to Santa from children all over the country. One child asked for food for Christmas. Another asked for heat in his families home. Another asked for a job for his mother. These letters ask only for the most basic needs.
I believe a measure of civilization is how well a society cares for it's less fortunate. Using that measuring stick I think American fails. Once a person earns a few million dollars any money that follows has no more meaning than a number and yet there are many who horde their wealth. Many reason that charity is a waste and try to justify it. I am reminded of Wayne Dyer who told a story on one of his many shows about giving. He said he was driving with friends when a man came out of nowhere as they were stopped for a traffic light and attempted to clean his windshield.
Dr. Dryer gave the man $5 and the man thanked him. Dryer's guests in the car questioned what he had done stating that he was wasting his money and supporting a drug or drinking habit. Dr. Dryer told them it the man represented a need and he met that need. What the man does with the gift is up to him. There will always be those that benefit wrongly from the generosity of others, but to punish those people would be to deprive those in real need.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 PM

5,125 posts, read 9,452,356 times
If we Americans are selfish--and that's a broad statement that all of us are--then I wonder if it's not because we've been marketed to and advertised to to always want more...

Why just have a TV when you can have a big screen TV with surround sound?
Why just have a compact car when you can have a gigantic SUV?
Why live in a modestly-sized home that you can afford when you can have a palatial place (with a palatial mortgage)...?

Are there any TV shows that show folks living a modest lifestyle..?

Let's face it, we live in a capitalist society and the wheels that turn the economy are built on more and bigger and newer. Until we're educated and marketed to to want less (perhaps to save our lives and the planet??), then we'll follow the marketing messages and not be satisfied with what we do have but always want ever more...

And sure, we have free will, but advertising works, that why billions are spent on it.. and there's precious little advertising that makes us want a more simple, less selfish lifestyle...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,143,463 times
The less common sense, self respect, and self-knowledge that you have, the more advertising works. Simply, because when you have spent your childhood being taught, and your adult life working toward, setting goals and acheving them, and gradually getting what you want, then the evil and seductive advertising is less important than chittering squirrels in the trees. If, however, you are taught from birth that the world owes you a living, that all of your wants and needs must be immediately fulfilled, that you have the 'right' to have as much as, or even more than, any and everyone else, and that working and waiting and planning for something is for the simpleminded, then you salivate after every new and heavily-advertised item, even to standing in line in the early morning hours and being trampled to death for it. There's very little money to be made in encouraging people to work for, wait, and educate themselves to achieve everything they need and/or want on their talents and abilities. Ask any teacher who gave up in disgust and took a better paying job. (No, I'm not one.)

Altruism is a fine thing - but not for the altruist, unless s/he is at heart a masochist. Living one's life for others only ensures that there always will be more folks out there who demand that they be a part of that ever-growing group of "others".

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Don't advertisements always say "You deserve this, treat yourself this time" like every time you go into a store?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,544,258 times
Quote:
You are worth it!
L'Oréal advertisement
Does this mean other people aren't?
Or does it mean that you are only worth it if you can afford their products?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 AM

5,125 posts, read 9,452,356 times
It's a line that gives you permission to buy things you don't need, at prices you can't afford...

Mentally, I always answer to myself, "What I deserve is to live a debt-free, uncomplicated life," and I pass on purchasing the product/service/gadget/gizmo.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 12-22-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates