U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 AM

18,093 posts, read 20,055,264 times

Advertisements

Why are they even given when they aren't admissible in court? How can a "guilty" person pass one when afterwards they admit to whatever the detector said they weren't lying about? Or on the flip side of that when an honest person is detected as lying when in fact they weren't?

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 AM

16,471 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Default Sociopaths/psychopaths can pass them with flying colors

I've read too many true crime books, and from what I have gleaned from my readings, it has been found that Sociopaths and Psychopaths can pass these with flying colors. No point in administering lie detectors to political candidates, they'd pass them with flying colors as well.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,785,657 times
Actually they are admissible in court, under prescribed conditions. They are a tool, and used by a skilled administrator a very effective one.

golfgod

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
If I were asked by the police to take a lie detector test, I would ask "Please explain what I could possibly have to gain by doing so". If I pass, it is meaningless and irrelevant and I reamin a suspect and all the evidence they have remains just as valid. If I fail, that is sort of meaningless too, because in American, I am already presumed guilty anyway, at least by the people administering the test.

According to my conservative friends on this board, if I have done nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear. Duh---I'm already wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:02 PM

excellent post jtur88! Of course by the time the cops ask you to take the test, you or I have already invoked counsel.

The funny thing is that many prosecutors (specifically those with military/JAG background) will make the offer, and stick by it, to not prosecute if you pass the polygraph. In the military it's commonly accepted over other types of evidence, particularly eye witnesses which are notoriously inaccurate.

Of course most polygraph operators got their training in the military as well, it being possibly the largest federal agency using the services of those operators.

golfgod

Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times
The test isn't admissable in court,however, it goes a long way towards telling the investigator is he is heading in the right direction.
Just like trouble shooting anything, by eliminating what isn't the problem, you get closer to finding what is the problem..

Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If I were asked by the police to take a lie detector test, I would ask "Please explain what I could possibly have to gain by doing so". If I pass, it is meaningless and irrelevant and I reamin a suspect and all the evidence they have remains just as valid. If I fail, that is sort of meaningless too, because in American, I am already presumed guilty anyway, at least by the people administering the test.

According to my conservative friends on this board, if I have done nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear. Duh---I'm already wearing an orange jumpsuit.
I agree with you on this one 88..

Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

The police use them to eliminate suspects, Just because they are not admissable in court doesn't measn they are not usefuil. They are. Most people given a lie dector test will pass but only because they often admit things. They record the different reactions when you answer know truths to when you answer other questions that are not known.Many people fail because they are evasive in their answer.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 PM

donn2390 wrote;
Quote:
The test isn't admissable in court
Donn; please read my post above, they are admissible if ordered by the judge. Often both parties will stipulate to the admissiblilty prior to conducting the test. The US Supreme Court has never ruled on the admissibility so the rules often vary from one US District Court to the other.

There are some jurisdictions in the US where they are not admissible though.

You might want to check with the American Polygraph Association if you don't want to take my word for it.

golfgod

Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
My exwife was fired from a job, when we were still married, because she didn't pass the polygraph test.
She was working at a convenience market and the test she was stealing. This is a lady who, at that time, was afraid the police would come and get her for taking one of those free mints by the register in a restaurant! We talked to a lawyer and he said it wouldnt' do any good to take them to court. This chain market he said had 2 floors of lawyers sitting around looking for loopholes for anything you could take them to court for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or