U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times

Advertisements

Would anyone be interested if the (reader and book) prices came down and the screens replicated the page very well?

I can speak for myself that I would, once things I want have been ironed out. I hate having to store all the books I have, especially when I read them again so infrequently. Then getting them fro the library is a pain, because I always get busy and end up having to return them after a few renews, because I know after a few I won't be getting to them soon.

I don't care about the physical book itself, I want the info inside...and want to have a whole library at my fingertips. Going on trips or commuting to work on back I can finish the book, and not have to lug the next one around with me. Plus if i get bored, I can read more then one at once. You can back them up too which is nice, but the readers are less durable.

Once they fix three things I am really thinking of one. First is the screen, E-Ink is nice, but I stare at LCD's all day and they are similar enough to give a bit of a headache. Readers are way too expensive at $300 when the books are pretty similarly priced between the real and electronic copy.

Then what would happen if it all goes to ebooks as digital formats change?

Last edited by subsound; 12-05-2008 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Question to the masses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:49 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times
i once wrote an essay about how the US is just edging closer and closer to a "Fahrenheit 451" scenario. how long before books become completely obsolete outside of museums and gov't libraries? granted, we won't be burning books, but we could be shredding them soon

I still prefer the physical book. unlike the luxury of having most of my music collection w/ me on my iPod, I don't need to carry around hundreds of books on an ereader. I read multiple books at a time, but i read them in different locations (one book stays in my bag so I can read it on the train to work, one never leaves my bedroom, etc).

my main concern, other than battery life and screen quality, is DRM. DRM is becoming far too overbearing and I will not buy any sort of ebook unless it can work across multiple ereaders. if they can come up w/ a universal format (like an ebook version of mp3) and stick to it then maybe I'd looked into it, but this likely won't happen until something is settled w/ use of DRM and music. back in the day, large music studios wouldn't put their music online unless it was coupled w/ DRM (the only DRM free music was from indie labels/musicians). now it looks like the tide is turning and it's getting easier to find DRM free music from more labels. the music industry is being watched by multiple industries in terms of how they continue to deal w/ online distribution.

if the larger publishers like Random House do something similar where they force DRM onto their ebooks, that could make it less desirable to other people. think of all the times when you've loaned a book to someone; this would be against the rules w/ an ebook w/ DRM attached

Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM

268 posts, read 942,414 times
The other worry is that with eBooks come very easy self-publishing. Yes, there is something wrong in having monolithic publishers controlling what gets published, but there is also some good in requiring some kind of check before anyone can get published. With eBooks, every hack in the world can get their two cents out there and it gets even harder to weed out the 90% (and rising) of trash from the good books.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:38 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Would anyone be interested if the (reader and book) prices came down and the screens replicated the page very well?

I can speak for myself that I would, once things I want have been ironed out. I hate having to store all the books I have, especially when I read them again so infrequently. Then getting them fro the library is a pain, because I always get busy and end up having to return them after a few renews, because I know after a few I won't be getting to them soon.

I don't care about the physical book itself, I want the info inside...and want to have a whole library at my fingertips. Going on trips or commuting to work on back I can finish the book, and not have to lug the next one around with me. Plus if i get bored, I can read more then one at once. You can back them up too which is nice, but the readers are less durable.

Once they fix three things I am really thinking of one. First is the screen, E-Ink is nice, but I stare at LCD's all day and they are similar enough to give a bit of a headache. Readers are way too expensive at $300 when the books are pretty similarly priced between the real and electronic copy.

Then what would happen if it all goes to ebooks as digital formats change?
Umm, couldn't some dedicated device running Adobe Reader do the job?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Umm, couldn't some dedicated device running Adobe Reader do the job?
Oh yeah, most certainly...but usually they are larger then most Ebook readers (like a laptop), or the battery has an even shorter life then an E-Ink device (PDA cellphone).

DRM really bugs me too, I hope they can just get rid of it. I have so many bits around the house where the physical media is still good, but the device/media combo some how doesn't like each other because of copy protection.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
I say burn 'em! Ebooks all the way! lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,026,162 times
That would be OK if you have a lap-top computer. With my desktop, no way i'm going to sit and read book online. I need to cuddle with my book, get all comfy, etc. Nah, i think i'll be safer with an old way book reading.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
I'm in favor of ebooks, too. Especially in the classroom. There should never be an instance in any classroom where a student has to go without a book because the school couldn't afford them. Learning texts ought to be downloadable, at a cost affordable to even the poorest of schools, and free from DRM restrictions.

No the book publishers wouldn't like that, but if their texts aren't reaching the people who need them most, what did they care in the first place?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM

28,178 posts, read 43,452,271 times
FYI: I am a public librarian/manager, and many libraries today are "lending" eBooks & even the reading devices themselves. We unfortunately can't afford that at my library, and there are too many security issues with lending the device (it's a rough neighborhood)... but if you live near a big urban/university library, you might want to ask them about this. As for myself, I personally don't like reading books on a screen - nothing like turning the paper pages myself, ya know?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 PM

28,178 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Here's an example from the library where I used to work (Napa)... you can't view the e-catalog without a library card, but if you scroll to the bottom of this link you'll see where NetLibrary eBooks are offered.

Online Databases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates