Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Just FYI...I don't go to 1st run movies, NFL,NBA,MLB or anymore NASCAR races. And you'll never catch me paying $65.00 for a concert.
Yeah, although I love entertainment and sports, I just don't pay much for it any longer either. The prices have long been at a point where they're ridiculous compared to the amount of money I have coming in.

I do still patronize entertainment and sports, but always by looking for ways to interact with it far more cheaply, like sitting in cheaper seats at games, watching films from Netflix only, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As far as Disney employees, why do you think that someone who does nothing more than push a button to make aride go round or ring people on a cash register should make more than $8 an hour? They have no special skills or educational requirements to do the job. They are no different than people who work at Mc Donalds or Target. Why should they earn more than they do?
A large part of the problem is the economic system that we have, but I believe it shouldn't be difficult for people to earn a living--that is, to be able to live in a decent house, put food on the table, put clothing on their back, be able to get around by car or public transportation, have some leisure time, etc. If that's a struggle for folks where the struggle isn't because they have some serious mental problems (in which case I think we should help them with that), then I think we've got things seriously screwed-up.

If we need folks to do a job, they should be able to live comfortably without too much struggle by doing that job. And if we need folks to become more skilled for particular jobs, we should provide that training for them without that being a struggle as well. We can make it so that no one has to worry about how they're going to have food, shelter, health care, etc. So let's do it.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As long as it's at or above minimum wage, what the heck difference does it make? Stop with all the envy.

Funny ain't it how the defenders of the sin of greed accuse it's detractors of the sin of envy? Goebbels-speak.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Funny ain't it how the defenders of the sin of greed accuse it's detractors of the sin of envy? Goebbels-speak.
Excellent point.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,320 times
I believe CEOs should be paid with decent base salary, say 1 million a year, after all, it's not easy to run a big public company, it does require expertise and hard work that average joes just don't have. The rest of CEOs compensation should be in stock option, and the option should be tied to LONG TERM performance of the company to prevent the CEO from resorting to short term measures that can boost short term stock value but may decimate the company over the long run, which means that CEO can't just exercise their option any time they want or the day after they leave the company, the compensation should spread out in a much longer period, say 10 years in which the old CEO can exercise his/her stock option gradually. Some might ask what if his successor did and lousy job and ran the company to the ground, why should he be responsible for his successor's failure? Well, I believe, as CEO, choosing a good competent successor is also part of your responsibility, if your successor sucks, you should be punished for your bad judgement. In short, CEO must be held accountable for what he does during his tenure, and he must be held responsible not just for tomorrow's share price, he should also be responsible for performance 5 years or even 10 years later. Some might say it's too hard, well, nobody says it's a easy job, if it's easy, why would we want to pay you 8 figures salary?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I am not a CEO but its simple;jealousy.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am not a CEO but its simple; jealousy.
Yes, there's an element of jealousy involved. But I think there's also a question of fairness. When the CEO of a company is pulling down 40 times more than the workers (by definition, they're the ones responsible for the company's success, aren't they?) people have a right to think that something unfair is going on.

I'm not necessarily advocating a salary cap for CEOs, although that would be an interesting idea. But it would be nice if they made at least a token effort to tone down some of the greed.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why is it that a person that didn't just leave the womb and by luck , jump into a position paying some enormous amount of money, is criticized to a point of a public reputation lynching and yet 'we' have no problem rewarding singers, actors and sports figures with comparable and even higher amounts.
Even attribute to them the term 'idol'?

Why are we not refusing to pay the high movie,concert and stadium ticket prices, demand CDs be no more than 50 cents apiece?

(I have the idea this wasn't said well (it's early but I'm sure you get my point)
some of us do demand that.

but not enough.

all you would have to do is boycott a sport for one season, tell them you want cheaper tickets, smaller salaries, etc... and you would get it

but just look around at people that will get in a fight if you insult "their" team, and you know that wont happen!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,025 times
The way I see it, it is the market in action.

As with top actors and athletes, top CEO's get to demand their high salaries because companies are willing to pay the price for the talent. If companies were willing to settle for the up and coming young upstarts -who are cheaper- as their CEO's, then the older, more experienced CEO would have to tone down their asking price or be out of a job.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am not a CEO but its simple;jealousy.

Or a thirst for justice. If a guy wants to make unlimited dough he should start his own company and own it, not step into an already going concern and then run it into the ground and expect to be rewarded. What's causing this row is guys who are ruining outfits and still making huge bucks, it's as though they think they're an entitled class, like the nobles in Russia before the Revolution. Take note of what happened there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates