U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,667,466 times

Advertisements

High School sports can go to far but in general I believe they are good. Some of the most important lessons in life are not only learning how to compete but good sportsmanship. We should all strive to be winners but realistically not everyone is going to win and learning how to accept defeat gracefully and learning from your mistakes is just as vital as learning how to be a a good winner. You can and should be proud of your accomplishments without being arrogant or boastful. A good solid sports program can instill these virtues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,377,950 times
I fully support competitive High School sports!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,244,521 times
Fair play and sportsmanship are good lessons for the young that participate. The only problem is that fair play and sportsmanship have been abandoned, and often ridiculed in our win at any cost mentality learned from adults.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,492,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Fair play and sportsmanship are good lessons for the young that participate. The only problem is that fair play and sportsmanship have been abandoned, and often ridiculed in our win at any cost mentality learned from adults.
That is so terrifying to watch, it's like a toddler in a 200 pound adult body. Thought it might work to the benefit that kids will think so negatively of a person like that they will never be like it...I hope.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,997,070 times
I was a decent athlete when I was younger. I played football, boxed, wrestled, did track and field, and I might have been OK at baseball if I wasn't blind as a bat without glasses. I loved sports and I think it was a great experience. I have a few joint problems and football might be part of the problem but I suspect the problems were caused by a poor choice of jobs in my 20's.

One thing that I didn't like about our sports events during High School was we never had time to meet any of our competitors off the field. I was heavily into band activities and our band made trips to festivals and other events where we got to spend time with kids from other towns around the state (Colorado). On the band trips I met a lot of the kids that I had met during sports activities but never had a chance to talk to. Sports are great competition and I loved it but I think I learned more about team work from band activities than I ever did from sports.

One thing that really turned me off about football was the fact that the smaller guys just didn't have a chance. I was big so I got more playing time than I wanted at times. The flip side: One of my best friends was just too small and not really a good athlete but He went out for football and wrestling and never missed a practice in four years but he never got ONE minute of game time in football. A lot of times on those hot August two a day practices when I wanted to say "the heck with this stupid game" Bob would tell me to hang in there. How could I quit with him urging me on? He did get to wrestle on the JV team a few times however and he won quite a few matches.

Contrast that with our High School Band: I weighed 230 pounds and was a six footer. That didn't mean a hill of beans to the band instructor. Some of our best musicians were girls that didn't weigh much more than the instruments they played. Talk about teamwork. I may be prejudiced but I think we put out some pretty good sounds for a ragtag bunch of kids. My band teacher was the greatest.

GL2

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,076,846 times
Having played in sports and how getting older ;I can tell you that the old injuries alwasys come back to haunt you in time. If I had it to do over again ;I would probably do less injury prone things with my time.All my firends who had injuies also pretty much think the same way as they live with the results.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM

268 posts, read 942,843 times
I agree with most of the dissenting comments about competitive sports, so I'm just going to add another point: America's love of competitive sports has come much too far (IMO) to the point of idolizing the athlete and to actually make fun of the intelligent/nerd. One has to wonder if that is not a contributing factor to many of America's ills.

Is it not possible to have the good that comes out of sport (team work, camaraderie, strategic thinking, etc) without focusing on the winning aspect.

I love the original spirit of Ultimate Frisbee (I'm showing my age here) - no intentional contact, call your own fouls, no intentional picks, a frisbee distance on defense, no keeping score - the spirit of competition and fairplay, getting the best out of oneself as the winning goal.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,523,427 times
Originally Posted by coldwynn
Quote:
Is it not possible to have the good that comes out of sport (team work, camaraderie, strategic thinking, etc) without focusing on the winning aspect.
Isn't that not the difference between play and game (read: sport)*?
When you play you only play to learn or because it is fun, but when you game (read: sport) you only play to win.
Quote:
*So, if both play and game have rules, which is the main difference between them? The only author that gives a hint is philosopher Andre Lalande. He proposes two different meaning when he defines "jeu" in his Dictionaire Philosophique [Lalande, 1928]. Even though he does not explicitly refers to game and play (just one French word exist for both activities), he differentiates them not because of their rules, but by their result. Games have a result: they define a winner and a loser; plays do not.

That is why we decided to use Lalande�s definitions of jeu (associated to Caillois� neologisms to prevent confusions between the terms).

Paidea is "Prodigality of physical or mental activity which has no immediate useful objective, nor defined objective, and whose only reason to be is based in the pleasure experimented by the player".

Ludus is a particular kind of paidea, defined as an "activity organized under a system of rules that defines a victory or a defeat, a gain or a loss."

Source: Ludology

Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,121,528 times
I think that sports competitions are good - if done correctly. Where I live now, all the kids play, there are no "tryouts" - if you want to be on the team, you are. The parents are supportive but not inflammatory towards the coaches and refs, or other teams, and the kids do get to know the kids from their opposition. Where I used to live, HS sports was becoming just another excuse to use physical force to intimidate and to use 'hatred' of the opposing teams as a reason to be destructive towards them, their campuses, and their property.

I will say though, that the ONLY year my HS Football team won the State playoffs (or even got into them) was in my senior year when we had a quarterback who was 4'11". The opposition never saw him coming - literally! He is now a doctor... Howard was fast, sneaky, and accurate, but never lost sight of what he really wanted to be - the game for him was FUN.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 AM

173 posts, read 537,413 times
I think high schools use the students (athletes) for revenue, & it's disgusting. I've seen the one I deal with focus too much on sports, as if it's all that matters, & slack off on education. Also have witnessed coaches getting away with intimidating/harrassing the team, running "suicides" til they puke, etc. And don't get me started on the parents losing control at these games; it gets dangerous.
I used to support the high school sports programs, when I was young, dumb & naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or