U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM

339 posts, read 627,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's waste of time and money better spent on academics. Academics, you know, the things we NEED schools for. Whereas kids can play sports fine all on their own without schools.
What's wrong with a little balance? Who says we don't NEED sports for schools. Without them, some kids wouldn't even show up and try to maintain at least a respectable GPA so they can play. How many stories have you seen/heard where joing a team has kept a kid from joining a gang? How many kids that wouldn't go to college do because of sports? You have a kid who is heavily introverted...The kid joins a team and has to learn to interact with others. How much confidence is gained by being part of something as apposed to sitting there, getting a 4.0 gpa and never learning to talk to a human because their whole life has revolved around looking at a computer screen?

There are also kids who became geniuses in their fields because of sports, and they didn't even play. They see the jocks being put on a pedestal, want to be successful and try all the harder in academics, etc. because of it (and they are the ones who usually always have the last laugh). It's balance. It's almost like senses gained from senses lost. Heck...they make movies about it.

I don't get the thinking that we don't need competitive sports in school at all. I played sports in high school. I was good in a few. I was horrible at school, because I didn't care (no motivation). If I didn't have to maintain a certain GPA to play sports, I would have either flunked out or dropped out. If it wasn't for sports, it definitely would have been the latter. I then went to college after my time in the military. I now have multiple degrees. If I had dropped out/flunked out, I would never have even gotten into the military for one. I definitely wouldn't have my degrees (obviously). The ONLY thing that kept me in school was the upcoming season. BTW...I now enjoy academics more than sports. Well...except golf, but just about any old fat guy can play that.

Think about this too. Look at a lot of the highly rated public schools (academics). What do they have in common? They often have excellent sports teams. Why is that?

These may not be great examples. I'm just on a ranting tangent at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
hello jtur88,

I couldn't agree with you more. Anytime I have ever mentioned this to anyone, they come back with, well a person could walk out into the street and get hit too. Life is too short, is what they say. I do not agree with them.
K-12 public schools are now starting to actively teaching sports at the 3rd grade. How wrong is that? Their bones and muscles are no where near done developing. THese are the adults decisions to start them this early. I have seen some of the littlest football players ever. THeir helmet is bigger than they are. What is up with that??

For as much as I enjoyed watching my child in his sports is as much as I want the sports taken out of the k-12 public schools. Some of the reason being to take a lot of the aggression out of it and put more P-L-A-Y back into it. I also know that sports are not going away in America, we just need to rearrange into our communities.

We recently lost a high school boy to a football game. His neck was broken and he was paralyzed neck down. He had some complications after about a year and passed. Very sad.

Most of the sports role models are NOT GOOD ROLE MODELS AT ALL.

"Win or Nothing" is the LOSER.

Very well said jtur88.
1. There are 3-4 year olds being taught sports. It's been happening forever. Where have you been?

2. Exercise helps the bones and muscles develop. I think most doctors would tell you that your kids should be active. They certainly wouldn't tell you that your kid should look at a computer screen or watch television all day. Pee wee football has been around forever. It's not like they just all of the sudden started doing this.

3. I also knew a kid that was put in a coma from a football injury. He eventually died. It was obviously extremely sad. I have known several kids who have drown, died in car accidents, etc. It's about 10-15 to 1 at this point (10-15 being car accidents or drowning and 1 being a sports related death). BTW...I think swim lessons should be mandatory in school. Anything basic that can save your life should be.

4. A lot of politicians are not good role models either. You often never hear about the good things the athletes do (only the bad). One golf tournament usually raises millions for charity. The Wendy's 3-tour challenge raised 3.9 million for charity in 2007 alone. That's ONE tournament. You don't even hear about stuff like this. You only hear about the one football player who gets in a fight or shoots themselves in a bar. The story of another football player who raises all his siblings after his parents gets killed or abandons them doesn't compare. Doing good isn't good news.

5. There's no such thing as "win or nothing". Think about that one.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, so of all the students in a school you have a fraction learning these virtues through sports. Better to take the money and effort from sports and find a way to teach ALL the students those virtues.
While I disagree, where would you put it? Music? Arts? Science? They also serve just a few. Let's give it to the teachers? I dunno, they make more than I do and get over 4 months off per year. How about more programs to teach kids to be a homosexual or some other idiot political program? We could, but what ever happened to readin', writin' and 'rithmatic?

ONe coujld espouse all day about where to best put the money, but it's a pointless argument purely for the sake of disagreement. The fact is that most programs are under funded and need some help. So why cut athletics for another?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM

631 posts, read 1,666,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
3. I also knew a kid that was put in a coma from a football injury. He eventually died. It was obviously extremely sad. I have known several kids who have drown, died in car accidents, etc. It's about 10-15 to 1 at this point (10-15 being car accidents or drowning and 1 being a sports related death). BTW...I think swim lessons should be mandatory in school. Anything basic that can save your life should be.

You hit the nail on the head there...swim lessons should me mandatory and starting at a young age. It is much easier to learn to swim as a child then as an adult.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
You hit the nail on the head there...swim lessons should me mandatory and starting at a young age. It is much easier to learn to swim as a child then as an adult.
They can thow in first aid, CPR, etc. while they are at it.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
Kids shoud have gym and exercise. Which of course isn't the same thing as organized sports at all. For one thing ALL the kids in a school benefit from gym class.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
I don't even think that competitive High School sports is the problem, but that our society who idolises star athletes is.
I mean when young children see how many of these (former) star athletes get away with murder (anyone remember OJ?) you can't blame them for emulating these people.
Or how about Sean Avery's behaviour*?
Haven't we as a society not somehow encouraged his behaviour by not having had suspended him earlier?

Quote:
*Avery's inflammatory line came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta. Reporters were waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he'd made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla when Avery walked over to the group and asked if there was a camera present. When told there was, he said, "I'm just going to say one thing."

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," the Ontario native said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight." He then walked out of the locker room.
(...)
Avery is the kind of player who delights in doing or saying something to get under the skin of opponents and their fans. He's led the league in penalty minutes twice, and was doing so again going into Tuesday. He's not only often called the most hated player in the NHL, he loves hearing it.

"I like to push it to the edge, no doubt about it," Avery said this summer, after signing a $15.5 million, four-year deal with the Stars. "That's how I play. That's how I live. That's what I'm all about."

His most infamous tactic came during last season's playoffs, while with the New York Rangers, when he stood in front of New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur, waving his hand and stick in the goalie's face to block his view. The next day, the league put in the so-called "Avery Rule" to prohibit such shenanigans.

Source: ESPN - Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery suspended indefinitely

Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
I got into trouble for saying this before but I think sports in public schools should be self supporting and NO tax dollars should be used. Let the pro teams pay for it, after all it's a training field for their future players.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I got into trouble for saying this before but I think sports in public schools should be self supporting and NO tax dollars should be used. Let the pro teams pay for it, after all it's a training field for their future players.

Indeed.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,637,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Overall, is it a good thing or a bad thing to have high school competitive sports programs?
Put in my "good" vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or