U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,637,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I got into trouble for saying this before but I think sports in public schools should be self supporting and NO tax dollars should be used. Let the pro teams pay for it, after all it's a training field for their future players.
Pro teams usually end up getting tax-payer assistance, too. Maybe there's a team that built a stadium solely on their own funds, but I don't know what team that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,488,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Pro teams usually end up getting tax-payer assistance, too. Maybe there's a team that built a stadium solely on their own funds, but I don't know what team that is.
Certainly looks like the pro-teams are going to get some of our tax money through the bailout to Citigroup and AIG.

Quote:
........ Citigroup ... and other recipients of taxpayer largess [including] AIG..... will continue to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to put their corporate logos on sports stadiums and events, ABC News says.

Citi, AIG will continue sports sponsorships despite bailouts - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,637,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Certainly looks like the pro-teams are going to get some of our tax money through the bailout to Citigroup and AIG.
Is this the wrong time to yell "Go Mets!"?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM

498 posts, read 1,363,352 times
Smile Unite

Ya know, I have to sound off for EVERY CHILD AGAIN. This is not about anyone on this board, that is obvious. Ask the children if they would like the oppurtunity to better themselves and their quality of life within their communities that would take them anywhere they wanted to go.

It is not about taking sports away from children.

My objectivity is about the betterment of everyone involved. THat means a whole community and every one thereafter.

THis is a flawless activity for everyone. It is called P-L-A-Y!!
Very simple.
The one big problem with sports in k-12 public schools is the monies. Where they come from and where they go and of course to whom and how many. So, the numbers tell me that the majority is where it's at right now. Hmmm, the majority is already paying for that ACADEMIC education for their EVERY CHILD. If you want an ELITE sports team in school then find sponsorers. Only I'm not asking, I'm telling them. Part of that monie does belong directly to my EVERY CHILDS' ACADEMIC education. Well EVERY CHILD is mine.
I am a sports mom of 10 years. Been watching kids branch out to the streets for awhile now. Sports kids or not, doesn't matter. Well guess what? We can make a difference. We can open the sports to EVERY CHILD and their community. It is said that our children need to get off the couch and away from the screens. COrrect? Hmmm, well how hard is that to figure out? If a sport is what keeps A CHILD in school, than just think what EVERY CHILD would gain and learn from being in sports? Wether it be for community or school. THe communities WILL be safer places for everyone, due to all the sports movement within. Colleges will scout children where ever they need to. Not a worry about that! Back to the numbers. 15 versus 1500. You tell me? We as people and adults can work this out. I have good faith in us.

THe guys who are out on these frozen electricity poles deserves the pros and presidents pay!!!
Now there are some people who can teach you a thing or two about life> and yes, of course these children should be learning survival techniques instead of trying to shorten their every word.

Back to some good qualities for the children are comradary,structured environment, being a big part of their community, gaining personal scholarships, but most of all they get to P-L-A-Y. I always wonder how much talent I am missing in my community throught these kids, who are going to jail at very young ages,because they are not good enough to P-L-A-Y. It is sad, because I know better.
It would stop most of the seperation within the schools, which lands again, in the laps of our majority. The administration and the polotics in k-12 public schools, is just plain embarrassing. Our schools are in dire striaghts, so take the kids out of the equasion and figure on someone elses pockets for the school sports. Otherwise, let them ALL P-L-A-Y. I want us all to get along and work together though. That is again the seperation that sports do cause. We need to get past that and start knowing each other and who is around us and our children. It really would stop alot of bad stuff that hurts our kids on the streets, and in our neighborhoods. Wouldn't it be nice if you or maybe even your grandparents (who live across the street and HAVE to put up with total strangers, from who knows where) could go to a park, every Friday and know just about EVERY CHILD on both teams, be it your community kids or the next?? Communities can still play communities. There will always be ELITE children. THat is awesome. THere is nothing better than watching a child (EVERY CHILD) flourish. We can help them within their communities. The community can draw REVENUE from games. EVERY CHILD can gain recognition from their respected communities. Children need to learn to take care of the elderly again. THey need to mow and rake and shovel snow and go get groceries, or sit and watch a show with them or just sit and listen to them. THey need to learn respect of their elders and authority again. We need to wrap EVERY CHILD up and make them a better person. They need to P-L-A-Y together though, without the polotics and stress of school.
MY son is one of those ELITE people. He excells in everything he does. This is how I am convinced that this would work for everyone. He is a very humble, smart, close nit to his community, ELITE sports player, still working on respect some, but still going nowhere. He can if he wants, he has just chose not to. And that is ok, as long as he learns to give back to his community. He is trying to decide what he wants to do next. I have sat watched kids practice their asses off and get those (actual) good grades (with good, hard study) and pay for their sports attire, and still set on a bench or stand on a sideline with never any playing time. That is so wrong on a child, on so many levels. I was always on the coaches for having my wonderful and talented child in the game when not EVERY CHILD has got to play. I did not let my child play sports so that it could take over who he was. It did. HE did not like it, in the end. TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!! Who are you and I to put that much pressure on a child who should be able to concentrate on school, in school???

Ok, well, I think it is being a good debate. I will always stand for EVERY CHILD. Thanks for listening. Food for thought

Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
Nothing wrong with high school athletic competition. But let's be real: there's too much emphasis placed on either football or basketball, depending on the region of the country. Too many kids are "graduating" high school in order to accept college recruitment offers for football and basketball. The vast majority of kids don't make it past college football. And when they realize that they won't play pro ball, they also realize -- after many years -- that they don't have what it takes to succeed in college either. They spent four years in high school chasing a dream, while reading at a 6th grade level; another 2 - 3 years in college in remedial general ed courses; and ended up with few marketable skills beyond furniture moving or working at Home Depot.

I'm all for competative high school sports. We just need to demand that a B average and an ability to read and write at a high school level, are prerequisites.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM

38 posts, read 44,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
1. There are 3-4 year olds being taught sports. It's been happening forever. Where have you been?

2. Exercise helps the bones and muscles develop. I think most doctors would tell you that your kids should be active. They certainly wouldn't tell you that your kid should look at a computer screen or watch television all day. Pee wee football has been around forever. It's not like they just all of the sudden started doing this.

3. I also knew a kid that was put in a coma from a football injury. He eventually died. It was obviously extremely sad. I have known several kids who have drown, died in car accidents, etc. It's about 10-15 to 1 at this point (10-15 being car accidents or drowning and 1 being a sports related death). BTW...I think swim lessons should be mandatory in school. Anything basic that can save your life should be.

4. A lot of politicians are not good role models either. You often never hear about the good things the athletes do (only the bad). One golf tournament usually raises millions for charity. The Wendy's 3-tour challenge raised 3.9 million for charity in 2007 alone. That's ONE tournament. You don't even hear about stuff like this. You only hear about the one football player who gets in a fight or shoots themselves in a bar. The story of another football player who raises all his siblings after his parents gets killed or abandons them doesn't compare. Doing good isn't good news.

5. There's no such thing as "win or nothing". Think about that one.
As one great man said, If you aint first, youre last.
(Way 2 Go Ricky Bobby)

Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith1968 View Post
(Way 2 Go Ricky Bobby)
And this 'great' man was

Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Is this the wrong time to yell "Go Mets!"?

Back in the 80's, there was a bumper sticker in Atlanta that said
"Go Falcons! And take the Braves with you"

Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 PM

339 posts, read 627,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith1968 View Post
(Way 2 Go Ricky Bobby)
I forgot about the famous Ricky Bobby.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
I am not so worried about high school sports really but the amount of meny being spent on them; when we are falling so far behind in many education areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or