Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 PM

498 posts, read 1,519,962 times

Advertisements

Try this one on> WE no longer have anyone local to play!! Why? Because we have all consolidated and plan to be completely consolidated within the next 5 years. The high schools have had to drop some of their sports programs because they cannot afford them (waa!), so they spend all the taxpayers monies on 15 players as opposed to 1500 players, just to get them to the next closest place to be dragged to. It is ridiculous. My son is out of school now thank god, (at least this school), but I can assure you, I would not let him waste his valuable time in that fashion. HE can go to the park with his friends here. That is one thing he had always wanted too, was for his other friends (the ones who are told they are not good enough to P-L-A-Y), to be able to play too. HE made friends out of the other team at every game.Even at State, twice. He drove me crazy, but he was right. I say let them ALL PLAY !! Thanks for listenin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 AM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Try this one on> WE no longer have anyone local to play!! Why? Because we have all consolidated and plan to be completely consolidated within the next 5 years. The high schools have had to drop some of their sports programs because they cannot afford them (waa!), so they spend all the taxpayers monies on 15 players as opposed to 1500 players, just to get them to the next closest place to be dragged to. It is ridiculous. My son is out of school now thank god, (at least this school), but I can assure you, I would not let him waste his valuable time in that fashion. HE can go to the park with his friends here. That is one thing he had always wanted too, was for his other friends (the ones who are told they are not good enough to P-L-A-Y), to be able to play too. HE made friends out of the other team at every game.Even at State, twice. He drove me crazy, but he was right. I say let them ALL PLAY !! Thanks for listenin
They can all play. With the exception of football, due to the equipment involved, kids can play about every sport in some sort of competative league if they choose (Rec-Leagues, etc.). Now, sports like skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, biking, motocross, etc. are hugely popular. Many "athletes" used to think only the "stoners" did these sports. I used to be one (although I did ski and snowboard). Nowadays, these are some of the best athletes anywhere. You don't have to be big, fast, etc. to play them. You only have to practice harder than the next guy/gal. If they don't want to compete, you can just play to play. There are skateparks everywhere. Golf, although somewhat expensive, have many youth programs. This is a sport that you can play forever and teaches you basics of life applicable to being a good citizen in general. If you want to play organized, school sports it's only beneficial. Is anyone a cooler than Tiger Woods? The best football, basketball and baseball players want to hang with this guy.

If you don't want to play organized school sports, the sports that used to be for the slackers (whatever) are just as popular. It's not exactly a stigma for a kid to have a Tony Hawk, Shawn White, Travis Pastrana, James Stewart or Chad Reed posted in their room as apposed to a Tony Romo poster.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 AM

Smile Unite

Good Ideas, but I think you have forgotten about the less fortunate. It costs a lot of money to do any of those things.

It does matter to these high schools how big and fast you are. If you don't do what they want you to do or what they think you should do then you might as well figure on being left out and being picked on, by administration and staff. It is true.

I still say the survival techniques should take the place of sports in k-12 public schools. At least the child learning it would walk away knowing a life skill that can carry them through their lives, in a positive manner and it teaches a lot of respect, and team work and all that good stuff, not just how to be better and win.

Ask the cops in your area if they are tired of babysitting everyone else's kids on the streets. Let these kids play the same game that the other kids are playing. You will be amazed at who goes bad and who don't. Give it a chance. Give them a chance.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 AM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Good Ideas, but I think you have forgotten about the less fortunate. It costs a lot of money to do any of those things.

It does matter to these high schools how big and fast you are. If you don't do what they want you to do or what they think you should do then you might as well figure on being left out and being picked on, by administration and staff. It is true.

I still say the survival techniques should take the place of sports in k-12 public schools. At least the child learning it would walk away knowing a life skill that can carry them through their lives, in a positive manner and it teaches a lot of respect, and team work and all that good stuff, not just how to be better and win.

Ask the cops in your area if they are tired of babysitting everyone else's kids on the streets. Let these kids play the same game that the other kids are playing. You will be amazed at who goes bad and who don't. Give it a chance. Give them a chance.
I can't argue with an answer for everything. I offer alternatives, and I get more reasons why they won't work. I give up. Let's just let them all join, play equal minute and get first place trophies. That teaches them a lot about life. When they get out of school and learn that they just can't get stuff "because", let's hope they don't blow a gasket and take it out on others because they don't understand why Jim and Suzy are getting a raise for working hard when they should just get a raise...because. Maybe the kids who can't play sports can be great at computers???? Is that okay? Or...are athletes who aren't great at computers going to get picked on by them? I don't know. I have nowhere to go now.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM

30 posts, read 127,493 times
Competitive sports are great opportunities for students to show their skills in high level settings. Here at Palo Alto High School, the boys soccer team recently became co-champions of the entire Central California league. You can read more about the story and about high level high school sports at the school's student run website:
Paly Voice: Boys' soccer team becomes CCS co-champion (http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=8000 - broken link)

Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM

30 posts, read 127,493 times
Competitive sports are great opportunities for students to show thier skills in high level settings. Here at Palo Alto HIgh School, the boys soccer team recently became co-champions of the entire Central California league. You can read more about the story and about high level high school sports at the school's student run website:
Paly Voice: Boys' soccer team becomes CCS co-champion (http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=8000 - broken link)

Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
Quote:

Sometimes those 'less fortunate' have an opportunity because of school programs like sports. Let's not forget that. Take away school sports and you deny opportunity to A LOT of kids.

Absolutely right. And that's an important lesson to learn. Employees have to do what their employers want them to do or think you should do everyday. If you don't, you won't get picked on so much as fired.

What 'survival techniques'?

Right. That's why anyone who wants to can try out for the school team...and generally there's rec league teams for those who don't want to play for the school.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:47 AM

38 posts, read 51,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And this 'great' man was
You don't know the famous RickyBobby? And you're from ASHEVILLE? Poor dear, You don't get out much do you? He's a man who could only count to #1 LOL

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Hi Unite here. Well the board decided to keep sports and latin and get rid of two elementary schools. How is this legal??

Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Hi Unite here. Well the board decided to keep sports and latin and get rid of two elementary schools. How is this legal??
Are you doing a series of anniversary comments, one year after the last comment? I was all set to come in with a comment of my own, until I discovered that I started the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates