U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 PM

38,728 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Default Competitive High School Sports---Good or Bad?

Overall, is it a good thing or a bad thing to have high school competitive sports programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM

7,092 posts, read 6,714,027 times
There needs to be competition, people need to strive and see that other people are striving the same to reach that goal of winning. Without trying to reach that goal and knowing it depends on ones abilities, practice, and effort hard work gets discounted. Once competition goes away, you get into the "Everyone gets a trophy for showing up" mentality and people believe they are entitled to success instead of earning it.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:17 PM

499 posts, read 970,209 times
Thumbs down Unite

HEllo. In my opinion.

No. I do not believe the High School sports should be so competitive, unless funded by private sponsors. The majority of students' parents taxpaying monies are going for all of the K-12 sports. That is so wrong. That is where we are failing as America. We choose to pay for the sports rather than the Quality, compassionate teachers that need those kids as much as those kids need them.

Now if ya put all the K-12 sports into the communities where you can really see phenomenal talents in kids that everyone thought would be useless would be a good thing for the everyone involved.

Our schools are finding it very difficult to find another team to play, due to consolidations of all area schools. They all used to play each other. Those days are over. So now what is going to hold together a community?!? Sports. It has to be, there is nothing else. So I say, LET THEM ALL PLAY, let our communtities draw the revenue, ( schools NEVER draw enough revenue out of monies at these program dictating paid sports programs to cover all of their sports), our students would actually have the seperation taken out of the schools and classrooms so that they may ALL LEARN.

Yes, I am very strongly opinioniated about this subject of sports in K-12 public schools. I am a sports mom of 10 years. I loved every minute of my childs sports. I did not know a thing about any of them until I got him involved in them. I started him in the 3rd grade of summer baseball. He totally excelled. He played baseball, basketball and football. Talk about good. He excelled. He has been called an all stater by his coaches. Every child should have the oppurtunity to express who they are through their community of sports.

I would really like to see this take place in all 50 states. The majority is where it is at. You can still pick out your elite from them.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM

339 posts, read 456,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Overall, is it a good thing or a bad thing to have high school competitive sports programs?
I would be seriously interested to hear why anyone would think that it wouldn't be.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM

499 posts, read 970,209 times
Default Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
I would be seriously interested to hear why anyone would think that it wouldn't be.
Hello JDTD, I was wondering if you had missed my post?

There are plenty of competitive activities in Academics. The kids enjoy them just as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM

38,728 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Just one person's oplinion, but I once heard a doctor quoted as saying that a high school football player experiences the equivalent of an auto accident every Friday night.

Personally, of all the adults Ive ever known who needed orthopedic surgery, more than half of them were repairing high school sports damage.

The human body did not evolve to perform the operations used in most sports, such as jumping in basketbell, or throwing in baseball. Our body is prepared to do those things occasionally, but it is destructive to the physique to "play hard" frequently and over a long period of time using body parts that are not designed for that. The competitive spirit of winning instills the "play hard" drive that is abusive to the body.

"Play hard" might also be abusive to the mindset. Competitiveness is fine as one of the components of balanced human enterprise, but to instill the "win or nothing" attitude in adolescents is not conducive to a healthy society.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM

7,092 posts, read 6,714,027 times
Quote:
"Play hard" might also be abusive to the mindset. Competitiveness is fine as one of the components of balanced human enterprise, but to instill the "win or nothing" attitude in adolescents is not conducive to a healthy society.
I don't think it should be win or nothing, but kids are going to have to compete to make their way in life...college, jobs, promotions. Teach bBalance in that competition but knowledge you are fighting to win, people aren't going to take ones word that they know what they are doing...they have to prove it. Too extreme most certainly people go way overboard, and that can start young.

The abuse people take on the field is pretty extreme, most certainly (I work with orthopedics docs)...but people do things to themselves in any physical competition (worst I saw was in Skiing). I wouldn't do it, but it's their decision.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM

10,544 posts, read 13,517,413 times
School sports are a good thing. It teaches teamwork and sportsmanship.

What is not good is the school that promote sports and new uniforms over personal excellence, the importance of a good education, and why graduation is important in the world market today.

Few kids today fully understand he/she cannot support a growing family on part-time menial labor. Minimum wage won't pay for a car much less a new baby. The sad news is too many schools are not only grauading too many of these kids. They don't care.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Hello JDTD, I was wondering if you had missed my post?

There are plenty of competitive activities in Academics. The kids enjoy them just as well.
No. I understand that. The question was specifically about competative sports. I think competition in both (sports and academics) is excellent. No one is better than the other (IMO).

Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Just one person's oplinion, but I once heard a doctor quoted as saying that a high school football player experiences the equivalent of an auto accident every Friday night.

Personally, of all the adults Ive ever known who needed orthopedic surgery, more than half of them were repairing high school sports damage.

The human body did not evolve to perform the operations used in most sports, such as jumping in basketbell, or throwing in baseball. Our body is prepared to do those things occasionally, but it is destructive to the physique to "play hard" frequently and over a long period of time using body parts that are not designed for that. The competitive spirit of winning instills the "play hard" drive that is abusive to the body.

How does you being from Texas influence your opinion on high school sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates