Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

Dealing with a doggy problem now, I was wondering what people thought of how far would they go if their pet was sick? There are many different options for one to think of, but the main thing is at what point would one look and it would be over.

How much would be your limit of care on your pet? Is it a set number based on trauma, chronic conditions, and tempered by age? Would it matter if you knew the treatment and it was expensive vs. not knowing what is happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I've put pets down with cancer, because of infirmity, trauma, etc. I think that it is kinder. I love my animals but I think that being practical is kinder than wanting to keep an animal around that is in constant pain, that cannot function like s/he is supposed to.

We adopt dogs from shelters, don't buy 'bred' dogs. We adopted my hubby's dog from one, after he had been thrown over a fence and had injured his hip. They were going to put him down because the surgery was too expensive - but the dog got up and bagan walking, and refused to give up. We adopted him, and he would run and play like a pup even though he was 10 years old. One Friday my hubby was in the hospital in surgery, and I came home to find the dog unable to move his back end. I rushed him to the vet. The vet told me that corrective surgery would cost $5000, and he could not guarantee the dog would survive. I opted for a week's worth of pain pills and kept the dog home, caring for him. I could not put him down while hubby was in the hospital, after all! Four days later the dog got up and walked on his own, and within a month was back to his old self - and lives still, six years later, playing and running and a joy to have around.

1) Don't believe everything a vet tells you.
2) Don't trust a vet over your pet.
3) YOU know your pet better than anyone else- if s/he is in pain and/or cannot function, and a few days doesn't make it better, ask yourself - would I want to live like that?

I have seen dogs that have had surgeries that make them live, and even dogs that have wheelchairs made for them; dogs in diapers, dogs that can only eat fluids because their faces were horribly damaged, dogs that were traumatically blind and given glass eyes, dogs that needed medication for diabetes and other lifelong illnesses. Those animals - IMHO - ought to be 'let go'. Animals know what they are and what they are supposed to do - and to make them live for an owner's personal gratification is just selfish cruelty masquerading as concern.

BTW, I kill my own animals when they are past their prime. I let a vet do it once - and it caused more pain for her at the end than it would've if I'd put a bullet in her brain like the rest; 10 minutes of her agonized screaming. Never. Again. Will I EVER let a vet tech stick a death needle in my dog; I don't care how competent they tell me that they are.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
I love my dog to death, but my limit is $500. If he needs more than that, I'll have to put him down.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I would do whatever is necessary, spend whatever it takes for my dog.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM

188 posts, read 548,433 times
Quote:
BTW, I kill my own animals when they are past their prime. I let a vet do it once - and it caused more pain for her at the end than it would've if I'd put a bullet in her brain like the rest;10 minutes of her agonized screaming. Never. Again. Will I EVER let a vet tech stick a death needle in my dog; I don't care how competent they tell me that they are.
If your dog was screaming for 10 minutes, that vet did something horribly wrong. A proper "put to sleep" job is just that, the animal falls asleep and dies peacefully.

I'm not sure what my limit is for my pet, I will just have to look at that bridge when I get to it.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Within 2 years my dog had a cancerous spot on her leg (surgery was $800 + follow-up exams, etc.) then had another minor surgery a few months later, then a problem with her immune system, then tore her "dogs version of achilles tendon". I have no idea how much I spent on her just within those 2 years - surely well over $3,000 total. Throughout all her problems, she was active and "happy". As long as she was not suffering, couldn't just put her down - she is too ingrained in our family.

Knock on wood - she's been the picture of health for several months now.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I would do whatever is necessary, spend whatever it takes for my dog.
I had a friend who did that, she had three dogs (2 labs and a greyhound) and did whatever she could to protect them. One had bowel cancer, the other lung cancer, and one died of complications of a immune disorder pretty recently. She had to sell her house and declare bankruptcy in attempts to pay off, then get rid of, all the debt she took on.

I don't think I could do that, I don't think it's in my families interest to wipe out our savings, retirement, and home for a dog.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
SCGranny has a good point about believing your vet. We are on our 3rd vet because the previous two are what I call 'maintenance vets.' In other words they don't want to be bothered with involved procedures. After one of our dogs came up lame (bad knees) the vet we were with was not going to do anything but medicate him. He has since had knee surgery on both back legs and is doing well.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I will not take any pet to the vet more than once for the removal of the sexual parts. They get food, water and love. WHen they get sick I do my best but if they die, I have the shovel ready to bury them. I refuse to support an industry of veterinary care when so many people have no access to healthcare. Throwing money away on a lost cause is not a nice thing to do. So many unwanted animals are killed that it would be better to give one of them a chance at life than supporting some overpriced professional with no reason to practice.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
I would spend however much it took to keep them alive IF they were not going to be in pain after the procedure that required the money. Once a pet is in pain (unless mild) that you can't get rid of, you owe it to them to let them go. However, if I had the power to continue their pain-free lives because I have dollars, I am giving them dollars. This is one of those occasions when "it is only money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates