U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,281,692 times

Advertisements

Bottom line: Its offensive and no one should use it white, black or whatever. I dont see why these debates about the N word keep coming up. Yes ignorant people are going to use the N word. Get over it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,066,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
For one not all blacks say ***** and for two those that do are just showing their ignorance as much as any other person that uses it. To me that word is the same as some guy calling his girl a ******. Bad words are bad words and should really just be ignored if you can.
I hear it so much, it's getting really hard to just ignore it. It's like the proverbial pink elephant in the room that everyone just keeps ignoring.

There really are a huge, huge, huge number of people out there who use that word as part of their vocabulary. I'm just curious about why people think this word is used? Maybe someone who likes to use this word can explain why they like to do it?

Most people in this thread seem to think that people just use the word out of ignorance, or out of a lack of education about what it means. I guess that's the bottom line. I guess there is no good reason for it to be used, yet it continues, and spreads across the world through music.....

I guess i'll just ignore it like everyone else and shut my mouth then. We, as a society, aren't ready to look at this one yet. This topic just makes people defensive and angry.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Bottom line: Its offensive and no one should use it white, black or whatever. I dont see why these debates about the N word keep coming up. Yes ignorant people are going to use the N word. Get over it and move on.
That's a great way to end this topic. Over.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,676,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Exactly what counterpoints are you talking about?

I'm open to all ideas on it, and i've heard some in this discussion that are interesting.

But I must admit, I do have some strong opinions on this topic from all my real life experiences. And I think i'm educated on the entire history of the word, and the racial history of the USA.

As for that example I gave about the guy yelling at the bus stop. It was probobly not a good idea for me to use that specific example. Because people are just nitpicking it and missing the point. And I used the word "crazy" out of context, leading to more confusion.

Another poster mentioned the fact that there is a BET. Yet if there were a "white entertainment television", it would get denounced as racist instantly. White people are not allowed to express pride in their race, it's called racist for them to do that, yet most other races of people are allowed to do it and it's called being proud of their culture.

These are all double standards that exist in our society, and a lot of people don't really see them. I don't think that there is any good reason for it to be this way. It is just lingering ignorance and racism, from out past that we havn't gotten rid of yet.
I think its very apparent that we both have strong opinions on the subject. Your opinions may come from being educated in the racial history of the USA, but my opinions come from living the life of a black person everyday, so im going to have a different perspective on things.

If you choose to believe it, im going to tell you from my experience that there are black people who don't use and condone the word. It seems that you can't believe that because you have heard the word a lot and it must be condoned by blacks because you never saw anyone approach anyone and stop it. Another counterpoint would be when I discussed the changing in society which prevents people from policing young people, the whole " it takes a village" concept. That wasn't acceptable to you either as it was ignored and you went on about it being condoned again.

Then, in terms of BET I gave the reasons on why it was created and you ignored that and repeated that same tired line you hear all the time about WET. If the need for BET was there and other networks were not meeting that need, then why didn't anyone address the need without creating BET? That's what the real question should be instead of using the WET argument which is disproven by doing just a little bit of research on the subject.

BET was created out of a need to serve an underrepresented market. If WET was created for the same reason it wouldn't be deemed as racist. Like I mentioned to the previous poster on this subject, if MTV was showing R&B, gospel and Jazz music videos, the need to create BET brobably would have never arose.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM

96 posts, read 351,489 times
Being that I am black and growing up in and currently living in that same enviornment where the word is used often even towards children, I try to refrain from using it as an "sentence enhancer". But I think why most younger people by that I mean people younger than me is because no one has told them the meaning behind the word. Also the fact that television has sort lightened up on letting people use the word is kind of a green light for them say it whenever and whereever they want. Now as far as other races using it I feel it's more of double edged sword now because yes even I have given other races derogatory names and just like others made it my mission to put every one else down about thier race. I've calmed down since then but it's like we do it to ourselfs so why should anyone else care not to use the word around a black person. Now it's not so much about racisim because people say if you don't give the word power it doesn't cut as deep, but really it's more or less undercover racisim because now it gives anyone the green light to say what they want without some sort of retrobution. I care don't say it around me black or whatever don't call me out of my name and I won't out of yours.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I think its very apparent that we both have strong opinions on the subject. Your opinions may come from being educated in the racial history of the USA, but my opinions come from living the life of a black person everyday, so im going to have a different perspective on things.

If you choose to believe it, im going to tell you from my experience that there are black people who don't use and condone the word. It seems that you can't believe that because you have heard the word a lot and it must be condoned by blacks because you never saw anyone approach anyone and stop it. Another counterpoint would be when I discussed the changing in society which prevents people from policing young people, the whole " it takes a village" concept. That wasn't acceptable to you either as it was ignored and you went on about it being condoned again.

Then, in terms of BET I gave the reasons on why it was created and you ignored that and repeated that same tired line you hear all the time about WET. If the need for BET was there and other networks were not meeting that need, then why didn't anyone address the need without creating BET? That's what the real question should be instead of using the WET argument which is disproven by doing just a little bit of research on the subject.

BET was created out of a need to serve an underrepresented market. If WET was created for the same reason it wouldn't be deemed as racist. Like I mentioned to the previous poster on this subject, if MTV was showing R&B, gospel and Jazz music videos, the need to create BET brobably would have never arose.
I didn't directly respond to those things but I understood and read them.

Well, I may not be black, but I grew up in a very diverse place. My high school was about 35% black, 30% Latino, a lot of Asians, and white people were the minority there. So i'm not just a bookworm that doesn't know anything about the real world, and i'm not from the countryside where it's 90% white.

And like i've said. I do know that lots of black people do not condone the word and would never use it. But still I hear it every day, so there is definantly a very, very big segment of people out there into using the word.

People don't say aything about it. And that is part of American society to leave other people alone and not tell the what to do. America is individualistic and each family is like it's own village. Strangers aren't supposed to tell each other what to do. That's just the culture here.

About the BET thing. I understand why BET got started and I have no problems with it. My point was that even the IDEA of a WET would seem racist to lots of people. I honestly think that if a WET were started, it would be extremely controversial and lots of people would be offended by it.

And that example was meant to show the double standard about how white people are not allowed to express racial pride, as it would be considered racism.

Just imagine a black person saying "I'm proud to be black." Nobody would probably care.

Then imagine a white person saying, "I'm proud to be white." They would be called racist probably. Wouldn't you agree?

That's the point I was making about the WET thing.

Anyway. I think that there is no real answer to this topic. Some people just use the word without really thinking about its meaning, and they do it just cause everyone else is doing it and it's considered cool.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I didn't directly respond to those things but I understood and read them.

Well, I may not be black, but I grew up in a very diverse place. My high school was about 35% black, 30% Latino, a lot of Asians, and white people were the minority there. So i'm not just a bookworm that doesn't know anything about the real world, and i'm not from the countryside where it's 90% white.

And like i've said. I do know that lots of black people do not condone the word and would never use it. But still I hear it every day, so there is definantly a very, very big segment of people out there into using the word.

People don't say aything about it. And that is part of American society to leave other people alone and not tell the what to do. America is individualistic and each family is like it's own village. Strangers aren't supposed to tell each other what to do. That's just the culture here.

About the BET thing. I understand why BET got started and I have no problems with it. My point was that even the IDEA of a WET would seem racist to lots of people. I honestly think that if a WET were started, it would be extremely controversial and lots of people would be offended by it.

And that example was meant to show the double standard about how white people are not allowed to express racial pride, as it would be considered racism.

Just imagine a black person saying "I'm proud to be black." Nobody would probably care.

Then imagine a white person saying, "I'm proud to be white." They would be called racist probably. Wouldn't you agree?

That's the point I was making about the WET thing.

Anyway. I think that there is no real answer to this topic. Some people just use the word without really thinking about its meaning, and they do it just cause everyone else is doing it and it's considered cool.
I spoke about this in another thread that you probably didn't see. I feel that in terms of the black pride movement, it was created as sort of recognition of the fact that one should be proud despite all of the things that were going on in society. That is not racist.

In turn, the white pride movement seems to have come from a place of sepratisim and supremecy. Those are 2 distinct differences.

For example, no one says anything about the St. Patrick's day parade in NYC, and no one should. There is nothing wrong with celebrating your heritage. the same with the Puerto Rican day parade. however, if one of these parades carried the message of supremecy and sepratisim they would be considered wrong.

So to answer that question, there is nothing wrong with white people or anyone else saying they have pride, as long as the pride is not steeped in sepratism or superiority.

In terms of the N word,the bottom line is that people use it, and in my opinion is wrong to do. I lead by example, so I don't use it and don't condone it's use.

That's the bottom line.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,631,292 times
Quote:
I spoke about this in another thread that you probably didn't see. I feel that in terms of the black pride movement, it was created as sort of recognition of the fact that one should be proud despite all of the things that were going on in society. That is not racist.

In turn, the white pride movement seems to have come from a place of sepratisim and supremecy. Those are 2 distinct differences.

For example, no one says anything about the St. Patrick's day parade in NYC, and no one should. There is nothing wrong with celebrating your heritage. the same with the Puerto Rican day parade. however, if one of these parades carried the message of supremecy and sepratisim they would be considered wrong.

So to answer that question, there is nothing wrong with white people or anyone else saying they have pride, as long as the pride is not steeped in sepratism or superiority.

In terms of the N word,the bottom line is that people use it, and in my opinion is wrong to do. I lead by example, so I don't use it and don't condone it's use.

That's the bottom line.
I think that is the point that he is trying to make. When it's black pride, it's okay. When it's white pride, all of a sudden you are in the KKK. Double standard IMO. And who determines whether white pride is expressed humbly or steeped in separatism or superiority? It's all a mater of opinion.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I think that is the point that he is trying to make. When it's black pride, it's okay. When it's white pride, all of a sudden you are in the KKK. Double standard IMO. And who determines whether white pride is expressed humbly or steeped in separatism or superiority? It's all a mater of opinion.
I think what determines it is the mission statements put forth by the groups. Look up white pride groups and tell me what you find.

If any pride group is stepped in sepratism or superiority then its wrong. That is not a duuble-standard.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:

That's the bottom line.
Personally, I do think the black pride of today does have the same seperatism as the white pride of today. I honestly do not see any difference myself. I think that both sides are militant and seperatist.

I would never say that i'm proud to be white myself. But that is just because I just don't think my race is important. I just see myself as an American. I think race is a very superficial thing. I think that in the big picture it is not important at all. But to lots of people in America it is extremely important.

In fact. I think people who use the "N-word" are seperatists in a big way. They create a language that they only use with people of their own race. What isn't seperatist about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates