Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Any Black rapper who is against White people using the "n" word, that's who.
Oh, thats interesting...since Eminem did use the N word in one of his songs and didn't get beat up by anyone, not even a black rapper...even thought you said that he would, literaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The word came from the lowest rung of white society. It was a lazy derivation from ignorant poor white people that had nothing more than their whiteness to maintain being better than their poor black counterparts. Why would anyone want to adopt a linguistic artifact from trailer trash? It is as bad as the epidemic of ebonics. Ignorant speech, by ignorant people why would anyone want to repeat and risk the association with the ignorance?
Is "trailer trash" not offensive? Prejudiced and judgmental? Somebody could get a beat down for that too....in the right context.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Is "trailer trash" not offensive? Prejudiced and judgmental? Somebody could get a beat down for that too....in the right context.
It is not a term that I use. When I hear the term... it gives me a bad feeling inside. The people that are called that are just trying to live like everybody else. Times are hard... people can't help that they were born into families that are struggling financially. $$$ does not address a person's character, just like the color of skin does not address a person's character.

PWT and the N word are put downs to groups of people not because of bad deeds, but because of circumstances they were born in. Now if you call someone a thief (he stole) a hooker (she gets paid to do the do) or a liar .... these are also put downs but earned put downs and well deserved.

If I were white, I would be offended if I was called PWT and I do get offended to terms, redneck, cracker, whitey etc because my DH is white.

I guess my family just has all kinds of chips on our shoulders . I also get offended with zebra, half breed...

Why do people have feel the need to call other people names?

I know, I am getting off topic now.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
You're being facetious, right?

Right?

<keeps his fingers crossed>
Facetious? No....never. Just joking around, that's all....

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I think that word taboos are stupid, period.

Let's go back to teaching kids the "sticks and stones" saying and get rid of the word taboos.
If words don't hurt, verbal abuse cannot exist.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,020,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Does "white trash" imply that other races are all trash, and only whites who are "trash" are bad?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Does "white trash" imply that other races are all trash, and only whites who are "trash" are bad?
It COULD be construed this way, in my personal opinion....I wrote a post similar to this several months ago but got very few replies. Seems to indicate that "trash" among whites is so rare that it must be explained....leaving one to conclude that "trash" among non-Whites is simply taken for granted.

It certainly DOES have a racist sound to it, in any case...and it's my impression that "white trash" is an old, mostly Southern, US expression....

Apparently, the term has more-or-less lost any racist 'sting' it once had, and is now seen as an unkind slur on the uncultured poor, without any 'racist' angle....

Reminds me of the VERY politically-incorrect expression of white "approval" of a black person in the "old South", "He's a credit to his race"...probably the textbook epitome of the 'backhanded compliment'....because it seems to infer that, by being a 'credit to his (black) race', "he" is an anomaly..he stands out as a "good example" among most of his race, who the speaker seems to feel, are generally NOT "credit-worthy".

"White trash" to me has this same racist connotation...almost the polar opposite of 'credit', it seems to infer "he's trash, but that's surprising...because he's white. Were he NON-white, it would be taken for granted".....or something like that.

Nevertheless, "credit to his race" is pretty much a 'PC no-no' today, whereas 'white trash' is frequently used by everyone, with no apparent 'racist' connotation.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
A White person who sells crystal meth out of his trailer is called White trash, but a Black guy who sells crack cocaine out of his apartment in the projects is called a disenfranchised minority by guilt ridden White liberals.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Quote:
A White person who sells crystal meth out of his trailer is called White trash, but a Black guy who sells crack cocaine out of his apartment in the projects is called a disenfranchised minority by guilt ridden White liberals.
Really?

To me, both are drug pushers and criminals.

but I guess I am not a guilt ridden White liberal.

Last edited by kcam213; 01-10-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Really?

Just like the black rappers who would literaly beat up Eminem for using the N word, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates