Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,160 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of this political b.s I get tired of everyone walking around waiting for me to break some secret rule. So it can be pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
None of my friends use the word.

I hear it at work, on the bus, in the stores, etc. Go to the downtown area of almost any city and listen to people. You will hear it.

Also, I know that there are tons of awesome, enlightened black people out there, just like every race. I am not saying that ALL of them use this word and I know plenty who speak articulately and intelligently.

But I think there are a huge amount of people out there who do throw this word around still. And I think that anyone who uses the word is ignorant, and they are fueling racism and division. And most people in America are scare to face this issue, and even more scared of talking about it.

Also, something else I'll mention. I just heard a black guy yelling about "white boys" and he kept using the word "white boy" in a crowded area. He was yelling about a "corrupt white boy cop" and nobody was doing anything, nobody cared.

Just imagine if a non-black person was yelling about "black boys" like that. Most black people would get very, very angry and probably be ready to fight. In fact, if a white person were yelling things like that about black people, he would most likey get beaten up.

There are a lot of double-standards like that. People are afraid to face racial issues, so we remain stuck in ignorance.

It would be nice to see this society break through this nonsense. I think we should all talk more openly about these things.
Who exactly would beat him up over that? Nobody in my family. He would be ignored like the other whack job calling out whites. If anyone would beat this hypothetical guy up, it would be the same ignorant people who go around slurring themselves.

Lastly, whites do use the N word. It's not a crime to use a word and it's not restricted to use by one group of people. The fact that some ignorant, low class black men and women use the word so openly (like they do everything else) is the only difference.

So if you want to use the word, as I said, knock yourself out. You'll fit right in with the others who use it too. As for me, I'll keep taking the high road. I reject those kind of people and choose to live my life according to my own standards, not by the standards of lowlife racist blacks or other lowlife racist ethnic groups.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,636,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I am so tired of this political b.s I get tired of everyone walking around waiting for me to break some secret rule. So it can be pointed out.
What is the rule you speak of? If its secret, does anyone really know what it is?

If everyone is walking around waiting for you to break it, then it can't really be secret, can it?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Now, are you trying to say that you're tired of the "rule" where you shouldn't refer to me as a niggre?

Is it politically correctness if people don't use that word?

Are you suggesting that "everyone" is waiting to pounce on you when you refer to someone as a niggre?

If you're so tired, then I have a suggestion for you: don't call me (or any other person) a niggre and I promise you'll never get pounced on.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,119 times
Its a ridiculous joke by PC thugs

Look at gays. They reclaimed the word "*****" from being an insult to just meaning "gay". call a gay a "*****" nowadays and he's likely to give you a blank look and say "and the sun is shining." In other words,the word has been reclaimed, its negative meaning stripped and ANYBODY can use it without being labelled homophobic. The blacks on the word, in regards to their N-word, are their own worst enemy. It's just an excuse to label anyone and everyone racist and claim more freebies.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,909,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Who exactly would beat him up over that? Nobody in my family. He would be ignored like the other whack job calling out whites. If anyone would beat this hypothetical guy up, it would be the same ignorant people who go around slurring themselves.

Lastly, whites do use the N word. It's not a crime to use a word and it's not restricted to use by one group of people. The fact that some ignorant, low class black men and women use the word so openly (like they do everything else) is the only difference.

So if you want to use the word, as I said, knock yourself out. You'll fit right in with the others who use it too. As for me, I'll keep taking the high road. I reject those kind of people and choose to live my life according to my own standards, not by the standards of lowlife racist blacks or other lowlife racist ethnic groups.

Good point! These are the same people who are crass and base in everything they say or do. They are the ones who refer to a sexual encounter with their partners in distasteful, graphic terms IN PUBLIC. So I say consider the source.

Which brings me to my next point... please please stop lumping people and judging them in one group because they look alike, come from the same country, live in the same neighborhood, or practice the same religion. They are INDIVIDUALS. Take the time to notice the differences instead of focusing on the similarities.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Its a ridiculous joke by PC thugs

Look at gays. They reclaimed the word "*****" from being an insult to just meaning "gay". call a gay a "*****" nowadays and he's likely to give you a blank look and say "and the sun is shining." In other words,the word has been reclaimed, its negative meaning stripped and ANYBODY can use it without being labelled homophobic. The blacks on the word, in regards to their N-word, are their own worst enemy. It's just an excuse to label anyone and everyone racist and claim more freebies.
The word was q- ueer, dont knnow why it was censored jeeje

Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,636,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Good point! These are the same people who are crass and base in everything they say or do. They are the ones who refer to a sexual encounter with their partners in distasteful, graphic terms IN PUBLIC. So I say consider the source.

Which brings me to my next point... please please stop lumping people and judging them in one group because they look alike, come from the same country, live in the same neighborhood, or practice the same religion. They are INDIVIDUALS. Take the time to notice the differences instead of focusing on the similarities.
You bring up a good point. I think there are two reasons why people do this:

#1 - It's too much work to take note of the differences
#2 - Noting the differences requires them to abandon their own prejudices which they aren't ready to do.

I think as more people allow themselves to recognize differences, it will help greatly in terms of prejudice & racism.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Great point!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
I found this review interesting and the book it's about I'm definitely thinking of getting and reading.

I hope those of you that are deeply offended by the word can try to read the review and tell me your thoughts. I'd be interested in hearing them. I am not interested in any more mud slinging and insults for bringing it to the conversation, so please understand my motivation for drawing your attention to this book is not to offend or upset anyone, it is simply to engage in civil discussion.

Powell's Books - Review-a-Day - ******: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy, reviewed by The New Republic Online

Oops just noticed the CD blocker at work, so you might need to copy and paste the URL and add back in the word where the astrix are in order to get the link.

Last edited by moonshadow; 01-01-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates