U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times

Advertisements

as our tech improves we will have the ability to get implants to increase our abilities

better hearing
stronger bodies
healthier
X-ray vision!!

where will the line be drawn? will there be one?

would you want your kid going to school with a kid with retractable claws? x-ray eyes?

would you trust your neighbors if they could hear everything you say?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Unfortunately our technology does not make us wiser.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,027,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Unfortunately our technology does not make us wiser.
To the point. We're getting wiser in terms of thinking and developing, but not in terms of "keeping up" with our "creations"

Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by ShepsMom
Quote:
We're getting wiser in terms of thinking and developing, but not in terms of "keeping up" with our "creations"
I dunno.
Our medical technology keeps improving but that doesn't mean that our decisions become easier.
I'd say they become more and more complicated.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM

5,273 posts, read 11,910,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
as our tech improves we will have the ability to get implants to increase our abilities

better hearing
stronger bodies
healthier
X-ray vision!!

where will the line be drawn? will there be one?

would you want your kid going to school with a kid with retractable claws? x-ray eyes?

would you trust your neighbors if they could hear everything you say?

maybe for some, but not for the many.

That said, there may be a time (I would think well ov r one hundred years down the road) when what you say may be true to a small degree. As to a line being drawn, it would seem to me that making science fiction creatures out of people isn't a reality.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,242,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
maybe for some, but not for the many.

That said, there may be a time (I would think well ov r one hundred years down the road) when what you say may be true to a small degree. As to a line being drawn, it would seem to me that making science fiction creatures out of people isn't a reality.
some of these things are already in R&D. Its just a matter of figuring out how to implant them, how to power them, and if we should.

I think it will be alot sooner than many people realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
And will there be Fembots like in Austin Powers? That would be cool.
durn tootin!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
I would so do it, not until my later years because I think metal and computers simulate the experiance wrong...but I am all for Ghost in the Shell type coolness.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
The problem with the concept is that as we seem to progress with our 'outer' self.....we seem to digress with the 'inner' self. Living until we are 100 as a super human kind of means nothing if we are mean and selfish. Actually, the world might be better of if we kick off at 60 years instead. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates