U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 PM

6,564 posts, read 4,966,528 times
I've seen some research about the health effects of cell phones floating around. I'm not finding it now, but my thought is that if cell phones were positively found to cause health issues, it would quickly be discounted or covered up (in fact, it may already have been). It's way too big of a business now and people are willing to blow huge amounts of green to blabber mindlessly for hours about... nothing. Neither the government nor the phone companies are going to take an end to that sort of thing lying down.

Personally, I’d actually be more willing to have a little whiff of someone’s smoke than listen to some jerk broadcasting his/her personal life at the top of his/her lungs. That’s noise pollution (not to mention damned embarrassing at times) that should be banned. Actually, people should just have the courtesy to not do it. Forget the banning. We don’t need any more of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,079,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD $1.38
Nevada State-Hearing Impaired Fee $0.03
Las Vegas City-Gross Receipt Taxes $0.75

That's what I'm paying each month in taxes, on one cell phone.

Not a cash cow? I think you're mistaken.
I go with prepaid. I almost never use it. I prefer to text, rather than waste minutes of talking.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM

7,823 posts, read 6,489,535 times
an interesting query... it has been sugggested that the radio waves are killing off the honey bees and that may caused the end of life should it actually happen... perhaps your query isn't too far fetched.

There are about 330 million Americans, and 270 million cell phones in service ...wow that is dependence.. im not even sure cars carry that much...

Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 AM

22,628 posts, read 9,611,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
an interesting query... it has been sugggested that the radio waves are killing off the honey bees and that may caused the end of life should it actually happen... perhaps your query isn't too far fetched.

There are about 330 million Americans, and 270 million cell phones in service ...wow that is dependence.. im not even sure cars carry that much...
Jesus,

They don't know whats killing the bees, but its certainly not cellular phones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/sc...bees.html?_r=1

Hell, you can take a bee and put it directly in front of a cellular antenna, and it'll just do what come natural. I've heard that it could be the wind mills to, do we need to remove all of those.

Its got nothing to do with electronics. You've got to look, the CCD has been happening over the last 3 years. Cellular phones, and most of the electronics we have today have been out much longer than that.

Also,

updated 5:50 p.m. CT, Thurs., Feb. 22, 2007
WASHINGTON - A huge study from Denmark offers the latest reassurance that cell phones don’t trigger cancer.

Scientists tracked 420,000 Danish cell phoneusers, including 52,000 who had gabbed on the gadgets for 10 years or more, and some who started using them 21 years ago.

They matched phone records to the famed Danish Cancer Registry that records every citizen who gets the disease — and reported Tuesday that cell-phone callers are no more likely than anyone else to suffer a range of cancer types.

Cell phones don’t cause cancer, huge study says- msnbc.com

Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Jesus,

They don't know whats killing the bees, but its certainly not cellular phones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/sc...bees.html?_r=1

Hell, you can take a bee and put it directly in front of a cellular antenna, and it'll just do what come natural. I've heard that it could be the wind mills to, do we need to remove all of those.

Its got nothing to do with electronics. You've got to look, the CCD has been happening over the last 3 years. Cellular phones, and most of the electronics we have today have been out much longer than that.

Also,

updated 5:50 p.m. CT, Thurs., Feb. 22, 2007
WASHINGTON - A huge study from Denmark offers the latest reassurance that cell phones don’t trigger cancer.

Scientists tracked 420,000 Danish cell phoneusers, including 52,000 who had gabbed on the gadgets for 10 years or more, and some who started using them 21 years ago.

They matched phone records to the famed Danish Cancer Registry that records every citizen who gets the disease — and reported Tuesday that cell-phone callers are no more likely than anyone else to suffer a range of cancer types.

Cell phones don’t cause cancer, huge study says- msnbc.com
How long dose it take for cigarettes to cause cancer? Does it happen in a month? Five years? 10? 20? 50?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM

11,612 posts, read 5,534,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've seen some research about the health effects of cell phones floating around. I'm not finding it now, but my thought is that if cell phones were positively found to cause health issues, it would quickly be discounted or covered up (in fact, it may already have been). It's way too big of a business now and people are willing to blow huge amounts of green to blabber mindlessly for hours about... nothing. Neither the government nor the phone companies are going to take an end to that sort of thing lying down.

Personally, I’d actually be more willing to have a little whiff of someone’s smoke than listen to some jerk broadcasting his/her personal life at the top of his/her lungs. That’s noise pollution (not to mention damned embarrassing at times) that should be banned. Actually, people should just have the courtesy to not do it. Forget the banning. We don’t need any more of that.
i agree with that it's all about greed.. next thing we will be hearing is about the surgically implanted cell phones into someones ears!!can you hear me now--can you hear me now.. nextel

Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 PM

28,758 posts, read 16,741,225 times
The only dangers I see from cell phones are the driving related ones. The statistics back that up and I will almost NEVER use my cell phone while driving.

Seeing younger drivers talking on their cell phones in particular makes me hope their parents have a small deductible.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
How long dose it take for cigarettes to cause cancer? Does it happen in a month? Five years? 10? 20? 50?
In some people, yes, less than 5 years.

Cellular phones have been out since the 80's, thats over 20 years of use, and the numbers are in, no link between cellular usage and cancer.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
In some people, yes, less than 5 years.

Cellular phones have been out since the 80's, thats over 20 years of use, and the numbers are in, no link between cellular usage and cancer.
Yes, they have been out for a time, but the real addiction has only been around for the past few years.

There has always been a small group of researchers and medical people who have not agreed that cell phones are completely safe with absolutely no possible effects on health. If you do a search, you can find lots of Doubting Thomas'. Now, obviously there is lots of hype from some of them. But, I'm very slow to rule them completely out due to the HUGE amounts of money and profits at stake. I'm not saying that there is some conspiracy going on. I'm just saying that the cell phone providers and government aren't exactly going to be going out of their way to find health effects.

From my understanding, there are several groups researching it right now. I believe their findings come out later this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some correlation between cell phone related technology and health problems of one sort or another--especially in the very young. I guess it's just wait and see. I'm not the 'sky is falling' type of person, but I must admit, I am a little suspicious--especially since many people began having cell phones practically glued to the side of their head.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, they have been out for a time, but the real addiction has only been around for the past few years.

There has always been a small group of researchers and medical people who have not agreed that cell phones are completely safe with absolutely no possible effects on health. If you do a search, you can find lots of Doubting Thomas'. Now, obviously there is lots of hype from some of them. But, I'm very slow to rule them completely out due to the HUGE amounts of money and profits at stake. I'm not saying that there is some conspiracy going on. I'm just saying that the cell phone providers and government aren't exactly going to be going out of their way to find health effects.

From my understanding, there are several groups researching it right now. I believe their findings come out later this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some correlation between cell phone related technology and health problems of one sort or another--especially in the very young. I guess it's just wait and see. I'm not the 'sky is falling' type of person, but I must admit, I am a little suspicious--especially since many people began having cell phones practically glued to the side of their head.
I've posted numerous articles showing that cellular phones have shown no link to cancer, or other health problems. Yet you continue to hold the "sky is falling" mentallity. Just don't get a cell phone if you're worried about it, the rest of us that rely on science will keep talking just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates