Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
Do we know his race?
Assume the OP is half-Black/half-White, and is a native of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,536 times
First of all, let's get one thing straight... Lowery's final remarks were clearly racist and aimed at "whites", and any rational, objective mind recognizes it. He displayed the same tired old world view that non-whites are somehow disadvantaged and that whites are their oppressors. This is a world view that lost all its validity over 30 years ago, and yet dinosaurs like Lowery continue to attempt to resurrect it at every opportunity. Pathetic.

The real issue here is that the mainstream media - true to their far Left nature - is giving Lowery a pass. Had this been a white minister praying to God that "blacks" or "browns" begin to "embrace what is right", the outrage from these liberal hypocrites would have been deafening. This double standard has been business as usual for the MSM and for liberals in general for decades, and it continues unabated today. They routinely ignore or make excuses for racist and criminal behaviors by non-whites, while anyone else is crucified for those very same behaviors.

Speaking as an intelligent, highly educated, middle class, fair minded white American male, I can promise you this... until this comfortable old double standard is abandoned by non-whites (particularly blacks) and their apologists on the Left, race relations in America will deteriorate regardless of whatever faux "savior" happens to occupy the White House.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
“When brown can stick around”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man can be the head man”

"And when white will embrace what is right"

I find this thread to be fascinating.

I don't find the last line of the statement to be racist and I must admit to being in agreement with the sentiment. That line leads to an open interpretation and it will be read as the reader wants to read it.

The reason I agree with the statement:

Walk around my neighborhood. Count the blacks that live here. When one moves in listen to the comments made by the whites that do live here. Look at the quality of housing.

An example: When a black woman that worked in a bank where I was consulting moved in down the street one of our neighbors came over and said, "I hate to see that. It lowers our house values. Don't you wish they'd move away." I told her I'd rather have the black family live there than someone who thought the way she did. She still lives across the street and we are still friends. Some subjects never come up in conversation.

Drive 10 miles towards downtown. Walk around the neighborhood. Count the whites that live there. Look at the quality of housing.

I know there is the argument that if they don't like where they live they can go to school, get a better job, blah, blah. Well, blacks in this country still can't do any of those things as easily as whites and if you don't think that is true, then you are out of touch with reality.

Things have improved, obviously. When I was a child you sat in the back of the bus if you were black. White kids didn't play with black kids. You didn't use the same fountain I did. I was lucky to live in a mixed neighborhood with more opened-minded people so it wasn't so bad. But it was still there, and it still is.

Until things are better than they are, even now, then we, as whites, cannot be considered as having "embraced what is right", and I think the inauguration was the correct place to make the statement. Just because we elected a black president doesn't mean we get a pass on doing what is right. Reverend Lowery and President Obama picked the correct moment to remind us that our job isn't done. At what other point could that message have been sent to so many people at one time?

Since you will all wonder: I am a white, 60 year old male, and I have lived in the Midwest my entire life.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
“When brown can stick around”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man can be the head man”

"And when white will embrace what is right"

Until things are better than they are, even now, then we, as whites, cannot be considered as having "embraced what is right", and I think the inauguration was the correct place to make the statement. Just because we elected a black president doesn't mean we get a pass on doing what is right. Reverend Lowery and President Obama picked the correct moment to remind us that our job isn't done. At what other point could that message have been sent to so many people at one time?

Since you will all wonder: I am a white, 60 year old male, and I have lived in the Midwest my entire life.
I am a white female about your age and lived in cali up until six months ago.

I don't see that its my job to make this right. I do not hate black, do not discriminate, and treat them as humans just as I treat anyone. I try not to see "black". This is my choice. Others may see a "them" but they are not me and do not speak for me. You say count the number of blacks in the neighborhood... isn't that singling out the blacks as different? The woman who wished they would go has chosen that attitude and it is hers to have. Each of us has that right.

As does a black woman who chooses to hate whites, her choice, her right.

Isn't it reinforcing racism to say whites are responsibe for blacks situation not being "right". Doesn't this divide more than bring all of us closer to just being "human".

The only way this will be "right" is when we see humans not skin color and that happens with each individual. Catagorizing only makes that day far less likely to every be.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Am I the only person who was pissed that there was an invocation/ prayer section at all?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
When we all figure out that "race" doesn't even exist. That is when we will be all right. When/If the US govt. stops labeling us things we be better. We are all humans aren't we?

I thought it was in poor taste for an inauguration, the civil rights movement was 50 years ago, move on please. We just elected a "black" man president.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,536 times
The racial views of Tek_Freek and other liberal apologists like him are completely erroneous, as they are predicated on the completely false premise that most "whites" are prone to bad/racist behavior while most "blacks" are peaceful, law-abiding citizens with good intentions. The REALITY is that there is a mountain of clear evidence all around us that the exact opposite is much closer to the truth.

I can honestly say that I judge EVERYONE by their ACTIONS, regardless of skin color, ethnicity, religion, etc. Unlike most liberals, I do not excuse bad behavior based on the fact that the perpetrator is "black". That would, of course, be overtly racist. Unfortunately for American society, this is precisely the attitude that our mainstream media and entertainment industries have been promoting for decades. They have worked hard to indoctrinate Americans into knee-jerk acceptance of the idea that blacks are perpetually being victimized by whites, and that whatever failures are suffered by blacks can in no way be attributed to their own actions. This indoctrination has had the intended effect on the young, naive, ignorant and less intelligent among us, as is plain to see in the current-day political Left.

The truth of the matter is that for several decades already, race has not been a barrier to or facilitator of success in America. Everyone rises to the level dictated by their own abilities, efforts and actions. No other nation in human history has ever afforded its citizens the abundance of opportunities enjoyed by Americans... and that includes non-white Americans. All the pissing, moaning and blathering from the liberal peanut gallery is simply so much white noise, intended to distract from the truth. And in spite of their blathering, I will continue to judge everyone by how I see them behave and what I see them do. And if those I judge happen to have darker skin than I do, then so be it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Now you understand how so many gays feel about Warren. People think it's okay that Warren is allowed to tell gays that being gay isn't "right" but fire up the indignation when Lowery implies that Whites aren't doing what is "right".

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to deal with either judgment. But some people are trying to have their cake and eat it to. You can't say that passing judgment on one group is okay but passing judgment on another is off limits.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Now you understand how so many gays feel about Warren. People think it's okay that Warren is allowed to tell gays that being gay isn't "right" but fire up the indignation when Lowery implies that Whites aren't doing what is "right".

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to deal with either judgment. But some people are trying to have their cake and eat it to. You can't say that passing judgment on one group is okay but passing judgment on another is off limits.
Warren's belief is founded on a Biblical principal that homosexuality is a sin.

Lowery's belief in white inferiority/black supremacy is founded not on religious belief, but rather on some racial misconception.

While I am not interested in defending the "homosexuality is a sin" belief and I'm pretty sure he would state that fornication is also a sin, yet I don't see unmarried, sexually promiscuous individuals attacking him for that belief), out of respect for the topic at hand, the fact that it is religious in nature affords it a measure of differentiation.

And before anyone asks, I would say the same thing if Lowery subscribed to a religious belief that white people really are inferior. However, such a decision would merit questioning Obama's decision to give stage time to an admitted racial supremacist.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Warren's belief is founded on a Biblical principal that homosexuality is a sin.

Lowery's belief in white inferiority/black supremacy is founded not on religious belief, but rather on some racial misconception.

While I am not interested in defending the "homosexuality is a sin" belief and I'm pretty sure he would state that fornication is also a sin, yet I don't see unmarried, sexually promiscuous individuals attacking him for that belief), out of respect for the topic at hand, the fact that it is religious in nature affords it a measure of differentiation.

And before anyone asks, I would say the same thing if Lowery subscribed to a religious belief that white people really are inferior. However, such a decision would merit questioning Obama's decision to give stage time to an admitted racial supremacist.
So, to sum it all up, Warren's belief is okay because it's in the Bible?

And then you follow in the next paragraph, that if Lowery's belief was in the Bible you would still object to it. So in other words, you're tripping over your pants legs to excuse one and condemn the other.

No matter what is written in what book, I maintain that there is essentially no difference between Warren judging homosexuals for being homosexual and Lowery judging whites for being white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates