Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking what I can do to help our nation move forward. Much like our new administration, I'm interested in world peace, a fair economic shake for everyone, a sound economic base and an end to hunger.

An enormous wish list, right? But I am wondering how, as one citizen, a working class one at that, what can I do, as an individual, to help us achieve these rather daunting goals?

I figure I have to start locally--but how? Has anyone also given this question some thought and figured out a way to get involved and active?

I'd be very interested in your pro-active positive suggestions and thoughts.

Those negative naysayers, not on the same page as me, please--this thread is not for you.

Thanks everyone.

Little Dolphin

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-21-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Do some volunteering in something you think is worthwhile.
Get others to do the same.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM

372 posts, read 849,247 times
Solve a problem. It sounds really basic, but it's the truth.

Identify a problem in your local community, and then develop a plan of action for solving/correcting the problem. The plan might be as simple as donating some time to help an already established organization, or it might mean that you're starting something from the ground up.

Take part in local government. That doesn't mean that you have to run for office, but go to local board meetings and stay informed about what's going on in your community. Don't be affraid to give your opinion if given the oppurtunity.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Volunteer to be a big brother/big sister. I've always maintained that the youth are the foundation of our future and more than ever, this is a critical time to get involved.

Additionally, if someone does a good deed for you or a family member, pass it on!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
It can never be done by one person to end everything, but chips can be worn away to help out. Get enough chips and you can create a master piece, or find a way to use less to help more.

I always think new ideas are the best way to combat things, micro lending as a fantastic idea when applied by economists in third world countries. It's helped a great deal of people, more so then one person working just handing out food for their lifetimes.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Set an example. Visibly be the person that you wish all Americans to be, and let people emulate you.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
One of the things I try to do is NOT fill up our landfills or waste other resources. I recycle EVERYTHING that our city will take as well as encourage others to do so too. I have to watch that I don't become the "recycling nazi" because I can be a bit overbearing. But I do try to reach out on the basis of "each one teach one".

golfgod

Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
All good thoughts.

We downsized, recycle, carefully monitor our driving, volunteer, give to charity (15% of our monies) and watch our debt closely.

Just do what you can do and that will be enough.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,025 times
I'm in education, so I'm biased and tend to think that education is the silver bullet (in truth, there probably is no silver bullet, but I hope that education is it). So I try to be the best educator I can be - work with the local high schools to try and find ways to improve the learning protocols for students, work with the local community (museums and such) to find ways to get more excitement into learning, etc. etc. I also take every opportunity available to further the cause of educating people: I volunteer in a forum run by Argonne National Labs which answer science questions of students (and non-students) all over the world, I never allow a misconception in science -even in an average conversation to go unchecked (I can get downright pedantic sometimes), I write occasionally for the local paper, etc. etc.

In short (it's a slogan/sound bite but it works): I think globally but act locally.

. . . and I hold on to Hope.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
The first thing I did was bite off more than I could chew. Then went off the wall because I couldn't accomplish it. Or at least I can't right now.

My second obstacle was NO. As in, no you can't do that if your not a major NGO etc. and so on. Obviously, way out of my league anyway.

So, I found a very small corner that no one is paying attention to. One that I can obsess over and dream big. One that lets me donate when and what I can......without myself as a centerpiece. I think I'm doing ok with it.

If I was doing something great, I would have excellent advice. I'm under the radar. I like it like this. The only advice I have is to aim small. Look in the corners, especially where people like to talk real big but have a gap. Fill the gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates