U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
 
1,526 posts, read 2,329,686 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone View Post
Do you seriously believe that?

I like to think that people are starting to see that skin colour does not matter and that all are equal. The fact that your Country selected an African-American for President is hopefully a step in that direction. I am Canadian but I was in tears watching Obama take the oath, Not just because of what he promises for your Country but because he is the FIRST African-American President. You probably also know this but I found it interesting that he was also the first African-American President for the Harvard Law Review. Is it an Omen?

I personally do not understand how people can even think about the colour of someones skin. When I look at someone I see them as a Man or Woman. Not White or Black etc...
I was in tears too.

Because it means a camera friendly Harvard Elite was selected over a battle tested veteran who paid 10 times the dues in any way you want to measure.

The TV generation has arrived.

 
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 AM
 
216 posts, read 335,384 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
When we see a Brasilian we see a person who is a Mixture of The indigenous people (indians), Africans(slaves) and European Colonizers (white People). they turned out pretty good
Way to stereotype every single person in Brazil as being mixed race, a country of over 190 million people.

This woman for example is Brazilian. Does she look Mixed Race to you ?
http://www.lovemalhacao.blogger.com....rrrrrrrrrr.JPG

To me she looks like a Whitebread Cracka.
 
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,455,423 times
Reputation: 2946
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
See the problem with those who want to say, "we're all the same" is... we can all see we're not. Further... trying to force people together, who have already decided differently, is wrong. (IMHO)
Sounds a little like my oft-repeated assertion that "the Western Europeans these days seem FAR more enamored with their exotic Muslim 'newcomers', WAY more enthusiastic about making room for 'multiculturalism', and MUCH more willing to 'bend over backward' to accomodate the 'new folks', than what the 'new folks' feel about THEM"..

In other words, you can 'give it up, and step aside'.....but you can't "blend" with people who aren't willing to "blend"...and you can't have a "gentlemens' agreement" unless both parties involved are gentlemen.

Seems pretty simple to ME...
 
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
 
268 posts, read 714,497 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So I'll ask you, if a difference happens to fall largely along a racial boundary (which granted, are not 100% precise) how are we to discuss it?
Let me ask you what differences (apart from phenotype markers such as skin color) do you expect to fall within so called "racial" boundaries?
 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,105 posts, read 2,493,205 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I suspect that it will be the next step in evolution. Whether good or bad is, of course, a personal matter. No doubt the world is heading toward an homogenous population that I suspect will look like Tiger Woods. Mainly due to the invention of vehicles that allow groups to migrate so easily.

The only real debates are:

1) Do some some groups we identify as races actually, inherently, have negative traits?

2) Should the rights of association and non-assocation be upheld?

In any event, seems a bit like the bit about fish evolving into land animals and then going back and ultimately becoming water dwelling mammals.

I for one figure anyone who wants to mate should be allowed to, as a matter of preference.

But conversely I also hold that the choice to *not mix* or mix just with who you like should be upheld.

A constant undertone in a lot of these discussions about race seems to be that we should accept *Africanization*, as if, because of the history of slavery in the US, we should somehow feel all warm and fuzzy once everything is "properly" Africanized.

My personal preference is otherwise, and I'd like that freedom protected.

My stance is simple. I really don't want any group with an agenda forcing on me, be it Neo-Nazis, Black Panthers or anything in between.

Tiger Woods type will be the norm at some point in the future. America will have the most ppl of mixed race but soon after it will spread worldwide.

All races/nationalities have their strong points and their weaknesses. The combination of races will create some new and unique positive attributes but perfection of course will never be achieved. What will set this in motion to me is better educated African Americans. Many African Americans are looked down upon whites because of their "Gangster" mentality but as this dicipates and gives way to much better educated/wealthier blacks I am sure more whites will be willing to date, marry (although I think the concept of marriage is outdated), and breed with African Americans. As black men become more succsessful pretty white women will look at them as another option. For men its always easier to interracial date.

Hispanics and Asians already breed with whites on a fairly regular basis.

I don't feel any sense of the US becoming Africanized. When you say this what are you referring too?

Once we no longer can discriminate or hate based on race we will find another reason to hate individuals. What that will be is anyones guess.
 
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 163,394 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post

Once we no longer can discriminate or hate based on race we will find another reason to hate individuals. What that will be is anyones guess.

Ability? Geography? Citizenship? Ancestry? Height? Weight? Disability? Sexual orientation?

If everybody is mixed race and some sort of brown (or shade of brown), the degree to which somebody is brown, such as lighter vs darker?

If you think mixing the races will eliminate human conflict, you're sadly mistaken.

People have a long track record of killing each other over various reasons. In Somalia the people there are not only of the same race, but the same ethnicity, they had no tribal differences, so they divided into clans/cliques based on geography and immediate family loyalty, so they could fight over something.
 
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 AM
 
177 posts, read 324,055 times
Reputation: 105
While the ability to see beyond race is a good thing, which will undoubtedly be encouraged by Obama's presidency, the notion that interracial relationships are all "pure", free of racial baggage and morally superior is kind of silly and naive. There's sometimes some pretty messed up dynamics going on (though it's probably the exception).

People tend to feel to most confortable with others who look like them and have a similar cultural background, and those who choose to marry in their race are not necessarily racist (though they could be).

However, for every racist who thinks "I'm gonna marry someone the same race as I am because my race is superior", there's someone in an interracial relationship who's thinking "If I marry a person from race X, my kids will be smarter/better looking/more athletic than if I were to marry someone from my race" (self hate can be a motivator), or "I'll marry someone from race X and save him/her from his/her backwards and inferior culture" or "I hear that women of race X are really subservient, are kinky in bed, and know how to worship their man, unlike women of my race" or "I like people of race A and race B, but not C, because those people are dishonest", or "life will be better if I marry race X because they don't have to deal with racism, and me and the kids can benefit from that", or "those (race X) people like me because I'm race Y, and I struck out with my own men/women, so I might as well take advantage", etc.

The bottom line is don't judge others. Just live your own lives.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Making a decision based upon "race" (whatever that really is) is by it's very nature a form of racism. With that said a black person only considering other blacks as potential marriage partners does little social harm, which is what we are really concerned about.

Last edited by mark85; 02-05-2009 at 01:35 AM..
 
Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 AM
 
1,526 posts, read 2,329,686 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
Let me ask you what differences (apart from phenotype markers such as skin color) do you expect to fall within so called "racial" boundaries?
Well, off the top of my head

IQ
Predisposition towards violence
physical strength/athletic ability

There are but a few that have been written on.

But I'm not saying I "expect" them. These are just differences that others seem to have documented.
 
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 AM
 
1,526 posts, read 2,329,686 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Tiger Woods type will be the norm at some point in the future. America will have the most ppl of mixed race but soon after it will spread worldwide.

All races/nationalities have their strong points and their weaknesses. The combination of races will create some new and unique positive attributes but perfection of course will never be achieved. What will set this in motion to me is better educated African Americans. Many African Americans are looked down upon whites because of their "Gangster" mentality but as this dicipates and gives way to much better educated/wealthier blacks I am sure more whites will be willing to date, marry (although I think the concept of marriage is outdated), and breed with African Americans. As black men become more succsessful pretty white women will look at them as another option. For men its always easier to interracial date.

Hispanics and Asians already breed with whites on a fairly regular basis.

I don't feel any sense of the US becoming Africanized. When you say this what are you referring too?

Once we no longer can discriminate or hate based on race we will find another reason to hate individuals. What that will be is anyones guess.
No doubt. What it will be, will be whatever observable trait can be used to decide who "they are" and who "we are".

Reminds me of the line in a Star Trek episode, "But he's white on the *left* side!". LOL!

Yes, I agree, Tiger Woods/Maria Carey probably represent the general, long term future.
 
Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 AM
 
1,526 posts, read 2,329,686 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Way to stereotype every single person in Brazil as being mixed race, a country of over 190 million people.

This woman for example is Brazilian. Does she look Mixed Race to you ?
http://www.lovemalhacao.blogger.com....rrrrrrrrrr.JPG

To me she looks like a Whitebread Cracka.

She sure does, but do some research on Heather Locklear or Adriana Lima. Both look "cracka" (gee am I allowed to say n*gger now?) but claim African ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top