U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 123,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Touchy, accurate labels disturb you?

What would call a man who is only attracted to other men? Would you insult him with slurs? Would you expect the man to have sex with women when he had no attraction to them?

So what then would you call a White man who is only attracted to women of the same general appearance (i.e. of his race), or a man who is only attracted to women of the same ethnicity. You would condemn the White man for having no interest in mating with a woman of another race (a woman he doesn't find attractive).

You're a hypocrite.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,061,424 times
Quote:
Richurch: Should a property owner have the right to stop, at gunpoint, and detain for law enforcement, those who are tresspassers on their land?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,244,200 times
Quote:
I think we call that segregation.

In most cases it's been decided that such actions are against public policy. I've never found it to be biologically based, but I have found it often to be based upon ignorance and misconceptions.
It's only "segregation" in the traditional sense if it's legally enforced. If it's voluntary, as is white flight, then I fail to see how it's segregation in the pre-civil right sense. It may be "cloistering", except that usually the thing you are taking flight from seems to want to keep injecting itself. (E.g. Somalis were relocated to Minnesota??? Why not Detroit, St. Louis or Atlanta???)

As for public policy. Well, law is just opinion backed by force. The Jews, Ukraines and Asians all had genocide committed against them as a matter of "public policy". So use of that term doesn't deter or impress me.

"Public Policy" as it currently stands, does not protect the rights of those that are currently willing to go as far as to "take flight". If fails to support the right of self determination in associations.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:45 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,244,200 times
Quote:
So if I call blacks, "Violent and sexually indiscriminate" based on figures found in USA Today and Department of Justice stats, does that disturb you?

This particular sword cuts both ways.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM

5,913 posts, read 4,774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So if I call blacks, "Violent and sexually indiscriminate" based on figures found in USA Today and Department of Justice stats, does that disturb you?

This particular sword cuts both ways.
No it would just be an inaccurate interpretation of the factual data compiled by the Justice Department, as they would confirm. Why you would try to misinterpret such data probably says a lot about your biases.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No it would just be an inaccurate interpretation of the factual data compiled by the Justice Department, as they would confirm. Why you would try to misinterpret such data probably says a lot about your biases.

So...

What would call a man who is only attracted to other men? Would you insult him with slurs? Would you expect the man to have sex with women when he had no attraction to them?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM

5,913 posts, read 4,774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So...

I'd call him gay or a homosexual. I don't care whom he has sex with. It's none of my business.

Segregationist is not a slur. Those who want to live in all white communities will sooner or later break the law to do so. You can't decide whom to sell your house to based upon race.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM

1,832 posts, read 1,364,475 times
Default We probably make it harder than it needs to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
My take on what the OP said is a question of whether we will be able to look at each other as people rather than as a white person, black person, chinese, etc. I don't know when that will go away, if it ever well. The truth is we are all different, the problem is when you decide that those differences are good or bad. When will be the day that we look at a group of black or hispanic teenagers walking down the block the same as we would look at a group of Asian or Indian teenagers?

I think it must be easier to "look at each other as people" in a country like India, with millions of people of different races, a dozen religions, and 700 languages. We probably make it harder than it needs to be, out of fear and jealousy. I was so impressed with Mr. Obama for openly commenting that his white Mother from Kansas felt fear when she approached a black man on the street. How brave of him when he had so much to lose, and with the "win at any cost" people poised to pounce on the slightest slip of the tongue! I think the only way we will ever reach a point where we "look at each other as people" would have to be by making the extra effort to reassure the other person that there is no threat, and nothing to be afraid of. Putting another person at ease in an awkward situation is something we do all the time. We would be a lot better off if we didn't pick and choose so narrowly who we do it with. Still, India has at least a thousand years head start on us in this particular social skill, so there is hope!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'd call him gay or a homosexual. I don't care whom he has sex with. It's none of my business.

Segregationist is not a slur. Those who want to live in all white communities will sooner or later break the law to do so. You can't decide whom to sell your house to based upon race.

You were using slurs against people who only want to have mates of the same race. How is that not judging somebody for who they have sex with?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM

25,105 posts, read 23,061,424 times
I have absolutely no problem with the "races" ... "mixing".

I can also support the rights of anyone not wanting to live next to, in an area of, people they don't want to live next to. This is also why I support age qualified communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.