U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM

2,612 posts, read 3,429,449 times

Advertisements

we have already been experiencing a rise in intercultural/interethnic breeding. i am sure it will continue, but i am also sure that no one is going to start simply because of the new president. i don't think that they will have anything to do with each other.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,709,051 times
Heck, I married interracially over 20 years ago. Not only do I have mixed-ethnicity kids, but grandkids too.

And now that the world's leader and most powerful man is a multi-ethnic Black person, it may just help us do away with those old taboos about "mixing". Not just here in the U.S., but all around the world.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,709,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
clearly pluralism is not working.
What's clear is that a few less-relevant people don't want "pluralism" to work.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM

49,749 posts, read 46,833,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
What's clear is that a few less-relevant people don't want "pluralism" to work.
im sorry friend i dont understand your post (and i want to). if i say anything further it will demonstration that i dont. help me out. you are not angry are you?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,452,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
In schools now, most children who are "mixed" are proud of it. It has completely reversed from when I was in school (a while back). I'm surprised that nobody discusses our new President being as Caucasian as he is African-American. Actually, he's an English, Irish, French, Dutch, German, African-American. Mixed is much easier, and most people already are.
Actually, he is mixed-black/white, not caucasian/african american. Caucasian refers to white individuals, not necessarily American. African American would be someone who is (my guess) an American by way of Africa (?), not necessarily black (there are many, many Africans who aren't black).

You list nationalities as English, Irish, French, Dutch, German, 'African-American'. African American is NOT a nationality; it isn't even a color. Where did that term come from, anyway.

By the way, I have a mixed black/white daughter and she is a beautiful, wonderful person who doesn't see color at all. She identifies herself as human.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,086,592 times
Negroid, Mongoloid, Caucasoid.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,368,458 times
The tolerance for racial mixing could be transitory, having come about only in a few decades, and in the middle of the last century, miscegenation was a crime in many states. This is not irreversible. The pendulum can probably never swing back, because all those mixed race people already make up our society. But all kinds of social forces can occur that will cause people to prefer again to marry within their own ethnicity.

Trends are an excellent indicator of the past, but say nothing about the future.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Gee, your username says it all. Calm down. But to answer the OP, I really doubt having a mixed...err, ethnicity president will make much difference in who we date or marry or otherwise socialize with. I love the idea of all the different ethnic groups blended smoothly into a caramel/asiatic final product.
So basically you yearn for the day when people no longer have distinct, separate, and unique cultural and ethnic identities?

Why are you hostile to the Irish wanting to remain Irish, the French wanting to remain French, the Russians wanting to remain Russian, the Serbians wanting to remain Serbian, the Chinese wanting to remain Chinese, the Tutsi wanting to remain Tutsi, the Zulu wanting to remain Zulu, the Saudis wanting to remain Saudi, etc...

Do you derive some pleasure from the thought of denying people their culture and heritage? What you suggest is tantamount to genocide, at least culturally speaking.

You're not really for diversity, are you? Because the world you propose would have nothing of the sort, everybody would be pretty much the same, with no differences in hair color or eye color, and probably no real difference in height or body shape. Am I right?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,176,132 times
Quote:
Will it ever come to the point where we will become one mixed race?
I hope not. Each "race" has its individual beauty. Although I do find mixed individuals very attractive, it would be a shame to lose all diversity.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:23 PM

2,518 posts, read 837,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
In schools now, most children who are "mixed" are proud of it. It has completely reversed from when I was in school (a while back). I'm surprised that nobody discusses our new President being as Caucasian as he is African-American. Actually, he's an English, Irish, French, Dutch, German, African-American. Mixed is much easier, and most people already are.
African-American is not a nationality...
His background is Kenyan, English, Irish, French, Dutch, German...but not "African-American". He is African-American because he's half African and half American, but his blackness does NOT come from an American source.

He is NOT the same background as those Americans descended from Slaves.

That being said, nowadays the kids are more and more mixed in race and I think it's a wonderful thing. As Senator Jay Billington Bulworth once said
Quote:
...we got Americans with families that can't even buy a meal
Ask a brother who's been downsized if he's getting any deal
Or a white boy bustin a-- til they put him in his grave
He ain't gotta be a black boy to be livin like a slave
Rich people have always stayed on top by dividing white people from colored people
but white people got more in common with colored people then they do with rich people
we just gotta eliminate them.
White people, black people, brown people, yellow people, get rid of 'em all
All we need is a voluntary, free spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction
Everybody just gotta keep f-in' everybody til they're all the same color
Race is just another superficial division that we use to keep people segregated and at each other's throats, like religion and nationalism. It's all BS and we should really just be one world, one people, one nation, one kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.