U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM

5,913 posts, read 5,027,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
You were using slurs against people who only want to have mates of the same race. How is that not judging somebody for who they have sex with?
It seems you are a very PC person. What euphemism for "racist" would you like us to use on the site so that you feel secure in your belief that mixing of the races is bad. Shakespeare opined that "a rose by any other name"

Old 02-19-2009, 03:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 183,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It seems you are a very PC person. What euphemism for "racist" would you like us to use on the site so that you feel secure in your belief that mixing of the races is bad. Shakespeare opined that "a rose by any other name"

You still never dealt with the issue of why it is okay (by your standards) for a man to only be attracted to other men, or for a woman to only be attracted to other women, but not for a White man to only be attracted to White women.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 PM

19,081 posts, read 12,377,568 times
Quote:
You still never dealt with the issue of why it is okay (by your standards) for a man to only be attracted to other men, or for a woman to only be attracted to other women, but not for a White man to only be attracted to White women.
I missed the post that stated this expectation. Please link it. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I missed the post that stated this expectation. Please link it. Thanks.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7521413-post181.html

Again-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7533790-post186.html

His response, ignoring half of the question, he refused to deal with the issue of White men being attracted only to White women, after saying he would have nothing nasty to say to a man who is only attracted to other men or a woman who is only attracted to other women.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7534056-post187.html

Twice in the fifteen most recent posts in this thread, you must miss things rather easily.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,377,568 times
Quote:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/7521413-post181.html

Again-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7533790-post186.html

His response, ignoring half of the question, he refused to deal with the issue of White men being attracted only to White women, after saying he would have nothing nasty to say to a man who is only attracted to other men or a woman who is only attracted to other women.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7534056-post187.html

Twice in the fifteen most recent posts in this thread, you must miss things rather easily.
The first two links are your posts discussing sexual attraction, not his. The last link is a bit more helpful but I'm not sure where choice of mate and sex comes into play. Are you taking issue with the word segregationist?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 AM

410 posts, read 199,797 times
I hope the world becomes less racist and more family like in the future.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,369,949 times
Quote:
No it would just be an inaccurate interpretation of the factual data compiled by the Justice Department, as they would confirm. Why you would try to misinterpret such data probably says a lot about your biases.
Back in '98 I read in USA Today the following data points:

Blacks have AIDS at 300% the average
Blacks commit Violent Crime at 300% the average
Blacks have children out of wedlock at 250% the average

More recent figures show me a 600% higher homicide rate per capita

Those figures seem to support the idea as stated previously. All from valid sources. How is that a misinterpretation? More voilence, more out of wedlock children, more AIDS.

Sounds like it equals "more violent and sexually indiscriminate than average" to me.

What does is sound like to you?

Funny how this goes. If I was Jewish-American (or maybe just any ol' American) and said, "Geez I really don't want to live in an Islamic neighborhood" I probably would get zero flak about it.

Bottom line is this, with regards to the topic of the thread. Some folks just don't want to mix with some other folks. In some cases the reasons are emotional and (I believe) hard wired in. Same as how some women run away from mice. Trying to force people who feel that way together simply increases the resentment all the way around.

Where the statistics give rationales for the desire to not mix, your problem is doubly difficult.

If the Attorney General *really* wants an open dialog on race issues, then he's got to be ready to accept that. Some people, if they could speak their minds, without being shouted down are going to say:

"I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they talk, I don't like the way they dress, I don't like anything about them."

And there's not changing it.

Heck it's happened to me plenty of times. Every time an attractive gal passes over me for a better looking and/or richer guy... I've been discriminated against based on my traits.

Discrimination, cast as selecting what we like or don't like, or what is good for us or bad for us, it would seem, is a survival mechanism. All just part of natural selection.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 3,115,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

Those figures seem to support the idea as stated previously. All from valid sources. How is that a misinterpretation? More voilence, more out of wedlock children, more AIDS.

Sounds like it equals "more violent and sexually indiscriminate than average" to me.
Actually, you are misrepresenting the statistics.

That there are more of any group in prison for more offenses /= that most of that group are in prison for offense. While Blacks may make up 30-40-50% of whatever offenders for any given crime, 30-40-50% of Blacks are not offenders for any given crime.

Nextly, you use figures that speak about external behaviors(or results of causes) to speak about internal motivations for them(or the causes to results). You can't use the use an action alone or a series of actions to determine the cause of the action. That would be Attribution Error. In this case specifically, it is Group Attribution Error.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM

5,913 posts, read 5,027,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

What if you read that southern white males have higher than normal rates of domestic violence, incest, and STD than southern black males of comparable income strata? What conclusion would you draw from that data?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What if you read that southern white males have higher than normal rates of domestic violence, incest, and STD than southern black males of comparable income strata? What conclusion would you draw from that data?

What if aliens from outer space came down and landed on the White House lawn?

We can deal with far-fetched "what if" scenarios until the cows come home, but the question is why?

What if I read that by doing three cartwheels in a row bags of money would fall from the sky... What if, what if, what if... See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates