Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
errrrrr not really Even if I stay in a closed room forever I'm still going to be tan

but I do hope that we become one "mix" as the OP suggetsed.. That would sure put an end to any hate crime or discrimintaion..... now crimes of religion... hmmm quite another kettle of fish
As far as I remember you are incorrect. It is not exposure of YOU forever. Races in other parts of the world aquired their skin color over many generations due to the climate where they live. Oriental developed the eye shape for the same reason.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i expect a rise in winner mixing and rise is loser mixing.
the color of a winner will cease to be the issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
In parts of the world, yes, there will be less "variety" is in due time. Other parts of the world, no.

I was speaking to a man who recently toured Ireland and Scotland, and while there he learned that red-heads are a receeding gene in those countries. I believe blondes will become a receeding gene in the US, if it hasn't started already. But it will take time.

I do believe it is all a continual, gradual part of evolution; however, I admit to liking a variety in types. I miss the dark Afro-Americans that I remember seeing more of while growing up.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:58 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
I heard a child recently say, "well, he's not that black", referring to President Obama. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone - these are the words of an 8 year old!

However, since there is so much racial mixing perhaps there should be a new census category. At this point, why is it that if someone is 50% african american and 50% caucasian why are they classified african american? Why is it if someone is 50% african american and 50% latino why are they classified as latino? Is this some strange rock/paper/scissors phenomenon? Maybe there should be some kind of category created as there will certainly be more racial mixing in the generations ahead.
It just goes to show how meaningless the whole concept of "race" really is ...

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Racial mixing invariably occurs in every society unless

A) it is a closed society, like Pitcairn Island, or
B) Anti-miscegenation laws are strictly enforced, punishable by death.

Neither of those seem to be the case here, so, yes, racial mixing is on the rise.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
It just goes to show how meaningless the whole concept of "race" really is ...
Tell that to Louis Farrakhan and Jeremiah Wright.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
errrrrr not really Even if I stay in a closed room forever I'm still going to be tan

but I do hope that we become one "mix" as the OP suggetsed.. That would sure put an end to any hate crime or discrimintaion..... now crimes of religion... hmmm quite another kettle of fish
I hope so too Indie. I'm tired of how divided our country is and I hope that one day we can not only stop being so divisive but stop looking at color. It is obvious that hate crime is on the rise and I also think that one major way we can combat this social ill is by mixing. People make the mistake in thinking that we will become one solid color. However, looking at other mixed countries, we know that is not the truth. We can still be diverse in color and in race.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I hope so too Indie. I'm tired of how divided our country is and I hope that one day we can not only stop being so divisive but stop looking at color. It is obvious that hate crime is on the rise and I also think that one major way we can combat this social ill is by mixing. People make the mistake in thinking that we will become one solid color. However, looking at other mixed countries, we know that is not the truth. We can still be diverse in color and in race.
Ummm... we could all be of the same colour, all white, all black or all brown, but we'd still have hate crimes and be divisive. Look at all the genocidal mess going on in the African continent. All those black people of different tribal backgrounds, and fighting over the minimal natural resources like clean water and arable land.

We need to be more accepting of other cultures and religions, and also acting more considerate of each other. And we also need to lessen the human population all over the world, including in the US. Cutting the human population severely would really help solve most of our global and local conflicts.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
With this historic turn of events, the first African American president, do you expect a rise in racial mixing? Will it ever come to the point where we will become one mixed race?
No, and No.

And I suspect there's no reason either of those answers should be Yes.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Because the question invites speculation on future social trends I don't believe it can be answered by assuming a linear path from todays norms.

We are used to seeing a fair ammount of mixed couples by now, but that is still a minority of the populace, as trends go, I'd say it appears to be more commonplace. I think some sort of segregation is probably natural, I remember the shock when I heard that Black university student's were grouping together on campus and avoiding the White student's by choice. Today, mixed couples are more about people of different cultures than any importance given to skin color.

Lacking any condemnation by church or state dogma, I'd guess that there will be more mixing of cultures around the world, the funny thing is, most folk's have some type of genetic hybrid in their past, it's the thinking that we are somehow genetically separate that gives rise to the fear of mixing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates