U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
While Obama is by no means an ugly man, I don't find him handsome in a way that I would consider dating him. In fact, I can't think of any past or present politician that I would want to date or marry. So I'm not sure why the O.P. thinks that having a half black half white man as our president sets any trends in who women might find sexy enough to date and marry.
I never mentioned standard of beauty. I dont care what Obama looks like. The topic was strictly "mixed race". It was geared more toward people who still hold on to old racial taboos.

~"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"~

Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,597,235 times
Human Race ! .. lol ..are we in the special Olympics lolz .. cuz i really dont understand how special is special exactly lolz .. geez imagine all of us in a giant bowl of soup .. lolz .. mixed race .. whom are we racing with in the first place ..Aliens !! lolz .. in that case we're all complete ''aliens'' to each other .. lolz .. but then where are the humans .. oh i guess they're at war !! ..with whom ..the other humans lolz .. oh okay i got it so thats the race we're talking about here .. i may be politically incorrect but whos the champion and whos the loser here .. racial mixing wow .. is there any race above human race .. if yes then i'd like to participate .. i could be the under dog winner ehehehe

Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 AM

186 posts, read 337,080 times
I dont think President Obama will have any affect on who people date/marry. I believe that is something that has to do with natural attraction and your social evironment. People are still going to continue to date according to preference. Its one the few places you dont have to be politically correct lol... Could you imagine, being considered racist because your not an "equal opportunity dater" lol.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM

318 posts, read 333,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I dont think President Obama will have any affect on who people date/marry. I believe that is something that has to do with natural attraction and your social evironment. People are still going to continue to date according to preference. Its one the few places you dont have to be politically correct lol... Could you imagine, being considered racist because your not an "equal opportunity dater" lol.
The sad part is, people do think this way already.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:39 PM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
People , even liberals used to discourage each other from Black and white Marriages by saying "What about the kids?" At least now we know of at least one possibility with a biracial President.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,425,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People , even liberals used to discourage each other from Black and white Marriages by saying "What about the kids?" At least now we know of at least one possibility with a biracial President.
How is Obama being biracial a plus? Do you think that he won the election mainly because he was biracial? If so, what about all our past presidents that weren't biracial? And how is Obama an encouragement for black and white marriages considering he wasn't raised by his black father. And what about the fact that Obama rarely acknowledges the white half of himself?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How is Obama being biracial a plus? Do you think that he won the election mainly because he was biracial? If so, what about all our past presidents that weren't biracial? And how is Obama an encouragement for black and white marriages considering he wasn't raised by his black father. And what about the fact that Obama rarely acknowledges the white half of himself?
There are numerous discouraging scenarios that biracial children could possibly face from playmates, teachers, family members, church members, neighbors, and even from half and step siblings.
These encounters happen quite early in the child's life and can potentially have a negative effect on how the child identifies them self.
Barrack Obama undoubtedly had a few awkward experiences probably ranging from mild to extreme as do all biracial children through out their entire lives.
Not withstanding his esteemed position, Barrack Obama is at least one example that biracial children can reach adulthood with out any long lasting or disabling emotional damage from their unique ethnic make up.

I don't think Barack had to acknowledge to any one "The White half of himself", When a nice white lady comes to pick you up from school and basket ball practice your whole life , and when your friends come to your house to play and there is old white lady who fixes your hair and lunch every day, It makes it clear to every one ,and perhaps himself, he is a white kid with brown skin

Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,460,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are numerous discouraging scenarios that biracial children could possibly face from playmates, teachers, family members, church members, neighbors, and even from half and step siblings.
These encounters happen quite early in the child's life and can potentially have a negative effect on how the child identifies them self.
Barrack Obama undoubtedly had a few awkward experiences probably ranging from mild to extreme as do all biracial children through out their entire lives.
Not withstanding his esteemed position, Barrack Obama is at least one example that biracial children can reach adulthood with out any long lasting or disabling emotional damage from their unique ethnic make up.

I don't think Barack had to acknowledge to any one "The White half of himself", When a nice white lady comes to pick you up from school and basket ball practice your whole life , and when your friends come to your house to play and there is old white lady who fixes your hair and lunch every day, It makes it clear to every one ,and perhaps himself, he is a white kid with brown skin
Here is the problem with your thinking... all biracial children dont have experiences from mild to extreme. Some may yes, but, there are many factors that can lead to that.

You also don't realize that when Obama refers to himself as black and not both black and white, he himself is hurting biracial children that are proud of being both races, that claim both races. Many people say, well, our president claims to be black, so the black/white biracial children are black. Luckily the 2010 census don't follow this example, and will allow people to mark both if they wish.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Here is the problem with your thinking... all biracial children dont have experiences from mild to extreme. Some may yes, but, there are many factors that can lead to that.

You also don't realize that when Obama refers to himself as black and not both black and white, he himself is hurting biracial children that are proud of being both races, that claim both races. Many people say, well, our president claims to be black, so the black/white biracial children are black. Luckily the 2010 census don't follow this example, and will allow people to mark both if they wish.
Unfortunately for non-white appearing children of bi-cultural unions where one parent is Caucasian, generalized American culture, mores and values are considered to be "white." I am familiar with a number of adults who are around thirty or more who I have known since birth. They are Hispanic, Asian, African American, and Middle Eastern looking people who happen to have a white parent. By them choosing not to adopt an ethnocentric identity, i.e, Becoming Buddhist, or Muslim, wearing traditional dress etc., they are in fact IMO acknowledging their "white " heritage.

I will guarantee that most of them don't remember ( I do) when they where 6 or 7 years old on play date and white kids seeing their mom a dad ask them "are you white or black?" For a little person who is just learning if he is a boy or girl it is a question they can't answer yet. Usually the parents answer it for them "he's both"

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-22-2009 at 04:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM

186 posts, read 337,080 times
"It makes it clear to every one ,and perhaps himself, he is a white kid with brown skin"

I believe this is the biggest mistake anyone can make in how they can view a biracial person, or that bi racial person view themselves in this light. Any person walking around truly thinking they are "White" when theyre clearly seen as something is going to have a hard life. As for other people looking at a bi racial person thinking "ohh theyre white with brown skin" this clearly shows the discomfort they make have with anything that isnt White, so they just ingnore the part they dont like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or