Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,041,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
People who push an agenda are not content simply to be allowed to marry a woman (or man) of another race, or marry a person of the same sex, they don't simply want legal acceptance or society to be unconcerned with their conduct, leaving them to do as they wish. They want to be seen as better than everybody else, they want their neighbors to feel in awe at the sight of their being in a mixed-race or homosexual marriage.
LOL a bit paranoid huh?

Quote:
I'm not going to fall down on my knees and kiss your feet for being in a gay marriage or a racially mixed marriage, or any sort of marriage. Do what you want, leave me the heck alone, shut up about it and get on with your life.

What do you want? A cookie? A medal? A parade?
No just for you to go away and quiet down. You're the one complaining.

All people have a right to live as they please. If they want to put a sign in their front yard that says "We are eclectic" that's their right. You can post all your signs in your front yard too. It's a great country that embraces all cultures.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM

1,008 posts, read 869,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL a bit paranoid huh?

No just for you to go away and quiet down. You're the one complaining.

All people have a right to live as they please. If they want to put a sign in their front yard that says "We are eclectic" that's their right. You can post all your signs in your front yard too. It's a great country that embraces all cultures.

What sort of respect for all cultures can you have if you advocate merging everything into one colossal mass where nothing unique exists anymore?

"I respect A so much that I hope one day we cannot tell A from B or C!"

That makes absolutely no sense.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What sort of respect for all cultures can you have if you advocate merging everything into one colossal mass where nothing unique exists anymore?

"I respect A so much that I hope one day we cannot tell A from B or C!"

That makes absolutely no sense.
You seem to want to equate skin color and culture. That makes no sense.

Nobody is forcing people of different color, orientation, or culture to marry. As Americans we stand for the rights of all to marry, befriend or just hang around with people of different colors, cultures and of the same sex if they chose. What is abhorrent are racist and bigots who want to stop that natural process.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
You seem to want to equate skin color and culture. That makes no sense.

Nobody is forcing people of different color, orientation, or culture to marry. As Americans we stand for the rights of all to marry, befriend or just hang around with people of different colors, cultures and of the same sex if they chose. What is abhorrent are racist and bigots who want to stop that natural process.

Cultures are the result of shared values of people of a similar background, typically sharing an ethnic identity, religious identity, lingual identity, and normally living within close geographic proximity to each other.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,453,437 times
Quote:
It is by definition "racist".
No, it's a "preference." Don't call people who are attracted to their own race "racist." That's like calling a man who isn't attracted to men a bigot. It is what it is - people like a certain look... or hair color, or someone with a similar view (and obviously, black and white have different views of the world). The majority of people in the U.S. date their own color... does that make everyone "racist?"

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,671,518 times
Quote:
Cultures are the result of shared values of people of a similar background, typically sharing an ethnic identity, religious identity, lingual identity, and normally living within close geographic proximity to each other.
Not always. You should read "The Reconstruction of Nations" by Snyder. A study of changing loyalties (and boundries) in Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus.

Snyder's point is that determining ethnicity and loyalty by language and religion is fairly recent in that part of the world.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not always. You should read "The Reconstruction of Nations" by Snyder. A study of changing loyalties (and boundries) in Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus.

Snyder's point is that determining ethnicity and loyalty by language and religion is fairly recent in that part of the world.
Without having read his work I will say this-

It is easier for people of the same race to adapt to a different culture of people of the same race but different ethnicity or language.

It would be easier for a Polish man to move to the Ukraine and fit in, than for a Syrian man, or a Chinese man, or an Ethiopian man.

It would be easier for an Ethiopian man to move to Zambia and fit in, than for a French man to do so.

Your race, and the race of the culture you seek to become a member of, are factors in how easy your transition into that culture will be.

The Romans were big on identity via language and loyalty to the centralized authority. Rome was big enough for anybody as long as they would speak Latin and obey the Emperor. Nation-states are different from Empires. Nation-states are typically comprised of one ethnic group, all people of the same race, speaking the same language. There are few examples of nation-states left today, the primary one being North Korea, due largely to its almost total isolation from the rest of the world.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,694,046 times
I think it will cause some ppl who were hesitant before to consider interracial dating more seriously but I doubt it will have any serious impact. Interracial dating has steadily been on the rise anyway. There was a time a few generations ago where even white people of different nationalities wouldn't marry. To me its the natural progression of the human race. In a few hundred years most Americans will probably have brown skin and be a few different races.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my wife is of Polish heritage and I am a typical American mutt, going back almost 400 years. We merged our cultures just fine.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my wife is of Polish heritage and I am a typical American mutt, going back almost 400 years. We merged our cultures just fine.

"American mutt" tells me nothing, since American is not a race. You didn't say whether you are white, black, mestizo, arab, asian, mulatto, some other sort of mixed race.

Typically "American mutt" is used to describe somebody who is a White American of various white backgrounds (i.e. English, French, German, etc).

At any rate, try moving to Poland and seeing how well you get along, then try moving to Pakistan and seeing how well things go... Which do you think would be easier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates