U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,087,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
No, it's a "preference." Don't call people who are attracted to their own race "racist." That's like calling a man who isn't attracted to men a bigot. It is what it is - people like a certain look... or hair color, or someone with a similar view (and obviously, black and white have different views of the world). The majority of people in the U.S. date their own color... does that make everyone "racist?"
Making a decision based upon "race" (whatever that really is) is by it's very nature a form of racism. With that said a black person only considering other blacks as potential marriage partners does little social harm, which is what we are really concerned about.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not always. You should read "The Reconstruction of Nations" by Snyder. A study of changing loyalties (and boundries) in Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus.

Snyder's point is that determining ethnicity and loyalty by language and religion is fairly recent in that part of the world.
On the other hand, the British have been at it for hundreds of years and have managed to come up with four within their tiny islands, all merrily fighting and hating without any help from skin color!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
"American mutt" tells me nothing, since American is not a race. You didn't say whether you are white, black, mestizo, arab, asian, mulatto, some other sort of mixed race.

Typically "American mutt" is used to describe somebody who is a White American of various white backgrounds (i.e. English, French, German, etc).

At any rate, try moving to Poland and seeing how well you get along, then try moving to Pakistan and seeing how well things go... Which do you think would be easier?
We are all mixed race. On one side of my family we say we are Scot, but that's a mixture, of Celts, Picts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Norse, Irish, English. None of those are "pure" either.

Ultimately we come genetically from a small band in Africa less than 200,000 years ago. From an evolutionary stapoint all are distinctions without a difference.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 640,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
We are all mixed race. On one side of my family we say we are Scot, but that's a mixture, of Celts, Picts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Norse, Irish, English. None of those are "pure" either.

Ultimately we come genetically from a small band in Africa less than 200,000 years ago. From an evolutionary stapoint all are distinctions without a difference.

Everything you just listed is still White, sub-sections (ethnicities) of White, but still White.

Being Irish+English+German doesn't make you mixed race, it makes you white of different ethnicities.

Also, I don't believe in evolution, so that's moot. Anyway, lots of "evolutionary" experts have begun saying that it is possible that certain races originated in different areas. One theory, which has been gaining support is that Europeans originated in central Asia, migrated into Africa, were separated from their original ancestors for a long while, then migrated out of Africa and into Europe. But then again, as I said, I don't believe in evolution.

You can talk about evolution all day if you want, it doesn't really mean anything to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Everything you just listed is still White, sub-sections (ethnicities) of White, but still White.
Some are more white than others, but what does melanin have to do with race?

Quote:
Being Irish+English+German doesn't make you mixed race, it makes you white of different ethnicities.
The racist in England and Ireland would disagree.

Quote:
Also, I don't believe in evolution, so that's moot. Anyway, lots of "evolutionary" experts have begun saying that it is possible that certain races originated in different areas. One theory, which has been gaining support is that Europeans originated in central Asia, migrated into Africa, were separated from their original ancestors for a long while, then migrated out of Africa and into Europe. But then again, as I said, I don't believe in evolution.
We aren't talking evolution, we are talking migration. But then if you don't believe in migration, we'll just pretend that there are no people in the US.

Quote:
You can talk about evolution all day if you want, it doesn't really mean anything to me.
I can tell science isn't your long suit.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

The racist in England and Ireland would disagree.
So? You don't think people of the same race can fight each other?

Hutu and Tutsi killed each other in Burundi and Rwanda, but that doesn't mean that both groups aren't black.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So? You don't think people of the same race can fight each other?

Hutu and Tutsi killed each other in Burundi and Rwanda, but that doesn't mean that both groups aren't black.
Sure they do, but the English have long considered the Irish a separate race. In your "scientific" classification system is melanin the only distinguishing characteristic of race? Would an albino African be part of your "white" race?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Sure they do, but the English have long considered the Irish a separate race. In your "scientific" classification system is melanin the only distinguishing characteristic of race? Would an albino African be part of your "white" race?

I don't get why you keep harping on "melanin" as though to imply that race is not a real and biological fact.

If race didn't exist as a biological reality, criminal forensics experts would not be able to determine race from skeletal remains, nor would they be able to testify about race based upon DNA evidence.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I don't get why you keep harping on "melanin" as though to imply that race is not a real and biological fact.
Because it's not. Race is a non-biological and completely arbitrary distinction that has no basis. You did previously confess to not having any real aptitude in sciences, right?

Quote:
If race didn't exist as a biological reality, criminal forensics experts would not be able to determine race from skeletal remains, nor would they be able to testify about race based upon DNA evidence.
They can determine many things and differences among people you consider the same "race." I keep talking about melanin, because your definition of race seems always to devolve to skin color.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Because it's not. Race is a non-biological and completely arbitrary distinction that has no basis. You did previously confess to not having any real aptitude in sciences, right?

They can determine many things and differences among people you consider the same "race." I keep talking about melanin, because your definition of race seems always to devolve to skin color.

I previously confessed to not believing in evolution, I never said I had no educational background in science. I had a chemistry professor in college who was adamant that evolution and the big bang are junk theories.

As for race being non-biological, I notice you basically dodge the issue of criminal forensics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or