Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Just for fun, while watching the World Series, look and see how many black faces you see in the camera shots of the spectators.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Can you explain what you mean by if you had the chance you woud marry someone f a different race? Is that a preference? Your comment is worded such that it appears to be a preference as opposed to a coincidence.

Thanks!

Also, your Mom is Black/African American as is your Dad. Why do we continue the post slavery custom of listing every nationality that our ancestors have procreated with? American Blacks come in all shades from coal to cream. I stopped saying I was African, French, Irish and Native Amercian when I understood the pathology behind it. My ten cents for tonight.
My comment was meant to be a coincidence. I don't have any preference. Race shouldn't matter. Whatever ethnicity my future wife is, love must come first.

I never understood the pathology of naming the ethnicity of my ancestors. I thought I was just recognizing all of my ancestry.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM

142 posts, read 205,688 times
I have to make things simple for myself. It's just not necessary for me to be interested in anyone outside of my own race, and I really don't see how Obama being president changes the way most people feel about their personal preferences. Seeing mixed raced couples and kids doesn't make me have to go out and date some white guy without truly being attracted to him. I wouldn't respect myself at all if that was the case.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
While Obama is by no means an ugly man, I don't find him handsome in a way that I would consider dating him. In fact, I can't think of any past or present politician that I would want to date or marry. So I'm not sure why the O.P. thinks that having a half black half white man as our president sets any trends in who women might find sexy enough to date and marry.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Yes, I expect interracial relationships to increase in the years to come.

By the way, Barack Obama is multiracial, not African American.
African-American by definition signifies mixed race. It was a by-product of slavery as well as more natural couplings.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
Were the People in Kenya ever slaves? and if so, who's? I was not aware that Obama's relatives were ever from America. Was I mistaken?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
While Obama is by no means an ugly man, I don't find him handsome in a way that I would consider dating him. In fact, I can't think of any past or present politician that I would want to date or marry. So I'm not sure why the O.P. thinks that having a half black half white man as our president sets any trends in who women might find sexy enough to date and marry.
I think it is safe to say that Obama's attractiveness is (1) his power, (2) his lifestyle, and (3) his wealth. Looks are down the list. If a guy has (1)-(3), then he need only be "good looking enough", "smart enough", and "kind enough."

Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
Money makes everybody good lookin, I have found.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
African-American by definition signifies mixed race. It was a by-product of slavery as well as more natural couplings.
No it doesn't. It signifies that the person is an American citizen of recognizable black African ancestry. There are many people descended from slaves that do not have any European ancestry. No mixing. Black all the way back. We have no way of knowing how many of them there are. Some of them came as immigrants only a generation or two ago, straight from Africa, and they're still African Americans.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
I didnt mean to rivive an old thread but I found this interesting article on the internet on this same subject. Looks like there will be a "documented" America's first multi-racial decade in the next up coming census.

Quote:
The start of this decade was the first time Obama and other people's multiracial identities could be officially recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau. With the 2010 Census, the U.S. government will take its second snapshot of one of the fastest growing trends in the U.S. population: interracial marriages and mixed race citizens. In the 2000 survey, about 6.8 million Americans self-identified as belonging to two or more racial categories.
Nicholas Jones, Chief of Racial Statistics, at the U.S. Census Bureau, says multiracial babies are one of the fastest growing groups in the country and based on factors like birth estimates, he expects that number to go up by a fair margin in the 2010 Census. That will be the first time that a set of multiracial statistics will be consistent enough with a previous Census for meaningful comparisons.
For many activists and scholars, racial statistics still present a quandary of sorts. Naomi Zack, a professor of philosophy at the University of Oregon, who is multiracial herself and has written extensively on multiracial issues, acknowledges the 2000 and 2010 Census changes as a key advance. But she also argues for a stand-alone multiracial category and the eventual abolition of “race” itself. She argues that race is not a biological category but a concept, something that the Census acknowledges in its own briefs.
Barack Obama's rise marks America's first multiracial decade - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_deca/ynews_deca_ts1001 - broken link)

Looks like America IS toward a rise in racial mixing, with or without the help of Obama, as our new president. My feeling is that now that we have a racially mixed president as a role model, people will allow themselves to brake those old taboos. Children who are racially mixed will no longer have a difficult time fitting into this new racially mixed culture. Although it does seem that even prior to Obama, shortly after the turn of the century, there was already a fast growing mixed race population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates