U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
 
706 posts, read 1,313,252 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In the time it took you to write that LONG response, you could have done 20 Google searches. But as a librarian, I have to say that Google isn't necessarily going to produce anything of value... might want to try some newspaper databases, if you actually want to prove your point.
I found other uses of my time more valuable. I'm sorry, but I'm going to focus on original ideas, not dotting every 'i' and crossing every 't'. My points should have been valid whether those specific examples I cited were accurate or not.

 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM
 
216 posts, read 450,889 times
Reputation: 75
I wonder how many parents would still let their kids sleep over at 50 year old Michael Jackson's house if he was a bus driver for example instead of the king of pop.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
 
3,440 posts, read 7,050,509 times
Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A friend asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" to which I replied "Isn't that a Woody Allen film?" Her response, "Yeah, I know, but he's just soooo talented."

Why do we as a society tolerate pedophiles, just beacaue they are talented? The names that immediately come to mind are: Woody Allen, R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Roman Polanski.

I think about all of the celebrities that have lined up to work with Woody Allen after the incident with his step-daughter and accusations regarding molesting his other children. I also think about how many songs by R Kelly have topped the charts since the long line of accusations about him having sex with one underaged girl after another have been known.

Would we give these men a free pass if they were mechanics, bus drivers or school teachers? Why do we tolerate (or even celebrate) them?


Hmm, let's look at this from a larger perspective. Over all humans tend to let people slide on misdeeds when they are popular or if they can demonstrate something of value.


It happens on a small scale and a large scale. On a small scale and I will use myself as an example i was a standout athlete and broke HS records well, I would get perks from time to time, and I was never severely punished when I was caught doing something that I was not suppose to do. One teacher even pass my hole class even though I failed it.

On a large scale look at the back bone of NASA all the founding scientist came from the NAZI camp with help from the Vatican. They should have been charged with war crimes but because Von Braun and other scientist were so smart and had so much knowledge the U.S decided to use them and let them live rich full lives.

It's the same with Japan and that EVIL TRASH Emperor Hirohito, because he had so much stolen gold, diamonds and other treasures the U.S made a deal with him and a few others to not press war crime charges.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 AM
 
Location: New England
914 posts, read 1,537,043 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinolala View Post
if someone is talented, they're talented, regardless of their morals.

thank you!!!!
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 AM
 
Location: New England
914 posts, read 1,537,043 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't care how funny or entertaining you are...how could I enjoy your work knowing that you (not you personally) have commited vile acts against children.

Why do celebrity pedophiles get a pass when someone like Michael Vick is crucified for his acts against dogs. Both scenarios are horrid but animal abuse is not tolerated by the adoring public but child molestation is? What does that say about us as a society? Since when does a dog/cat deserve more sympathy than a child?

I absolutely agree with you on the Michael Vick case and all basically the whole topic; but it still doesn't change the fact that you're being blinded by someone's personal life when you should be focusing on their profession.

And who knows, I could be molesting my 10 year old brother and I'm still hilarious. (This is not true because I am the baby of my family.)
 
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
2,290 posts, read 4,948,477 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A friend asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" to which I replied "Isn't that a Woody Allen film?" Her response, "Yeah, I know, but he's just soooo talented."

Why do we as a society tolerate pedophiles, just beacaue they are talented? The names that immediately come to mind are: Woody Allen, R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Roman Polanski.

I think about all of the celebrities that have lined up to work with Woody Allen after the incident with his step-daughter and accusations regarding molesting his other children. I also think about how many songs by R Kelly have topped the charts since the long line of accusations about him having sex with one underaged girl after another have been known.

Would we give these men a free pass if they were mechanics, bus drivers or school teachers? Why do we tolerate (or even celebrate) them?
You're absolutely right. IMO, we tolerate these types of pedophiles because we're conditioned to worship and honor fame and fortune, and the entertainers who obtain it, rather than honoring our kids.

There's something wrong with our society when Michael Jackson is a free man after having liquored-up small children in his bed, while Michael Vick does prison time for dogfighting.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
 
179 posts, read 427,641 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Any way that you want to slice it, a 50 year old man having sexual relations with a 14, 15 or 16 year old girl (or boy) is just wrong.
No matter which way YOU want to slice it, a legal age of consent of 18 is nonsense. In most other "civilized (=industrialized, western) countries teh age of consent is betwenn 14 and 16.
This makes sense since the average age for first sexual encounters is around 16, it just comes naturally with puberty. I know puritans will faint when hearing that or start a lynch mob, but it's a proven scientific fact that is known for around 40 years now and this average age has been pretty much the same for decades, in the prude US as well as in "immoral" Europe.
So it's a fact of live than 16 yr old teenager do have sex partners which they choose for themselves.
To consider it a sex crime when a 17yr old has sex with someone who happens to be 19 or 22 or whatever is simply stupid. If would even call it uncivilized.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,286,760 times
Reputation: 18593
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
There's something wrong with our society when Michael Jackson is a free man after having liquored-up small children in his bed, while Michael Vick does prison time for dogfighting.
Thank you. This is exactly my point. And I am really very surprised by the number of posts that have the attitude that we should ignore or overlook the behavior of some simply because they are good actors, singers or film makers; because they keep US entertained. In doing so, we set ourselves up as a society that is, in a lot of ways, just like those countries which WE consider barbaric.

How are WE any better as a society when we don't value OUR children? Have we become a society where we step over the homeless, abused or abandoned child in the street to stick $5 in the PETA or Save the Rain Forest donation canister?
 
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,251,371 times
Reputation: 5219
OP: You forgot Pete Townshend also.
The Smoking Gun: Archive

To address the posters that are advocating lower ages of consent: Don't let the door hit you on your way out of the United States. Go live in one of those more "enlightened" countries if you don't like the consent laws here.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
58 posts, read 123,774 times
Reputation: 27
Wasn't R Kelly the guy who slept with a 17 year ("underaged")?
How the hell is a guy suposed to know if a girl is just looking good for 16 or actually is 21 but says she is 19 to seem younger?
It's not like you have an ID-check at your bedroom threshold is it?
My nephews girlfriend is 15 I would easily misstake her for a 20 year old...her sister is 19 like me and I wouldnt guess that she is more than 16...

And lets say im 40 years old, have sex with a 17 year old who said she is 18, and then she uses the situation to sue me or what ever...well who's the victim? not her, for sure.

(Im just guessing 18 is theline between adult and child in the US)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top