U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,025,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And I am really very surprised by the number of posts that have the attitude that we should ignore or overlook the behavior of some simply because they are good actors, singers or film makers
I'm really not sure what you mean by "overlook."

For example, let's say I'm building a new treatment system that turns saltwater into freshwater, and some inventor has come up with a really clever method for a process within the system that will make it cheaper and more effective. But... the guy is a rapist! He did time in prison for rape, and it's pretty clear he's running a dogfighting ring in his basement.

Does that mean I should exclude his method from my treatment system, and refuse to implement it because the guy who came up with it is a bad guy?

Would I be "overlooking" his moral failures by doing so?

I don't think so. I think the method would have no relation to rape or crime, and is in fact a separate matter.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A friend asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" to which I replied "Isn't that a Woody Allen film?" Her response, "Yeah, I know, but he's just soooo talented."

Why do we as a society tolerate pedophiles, just beacaue they are talented? The names that immediately come to mind are: Woody Allen, R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Roman Polanski.

I think about all of the celebrities that have lined up to work with Woody Allen after the incident with his step-daughter and accusations regarding molesting his other children. I also think about how many songs by R Kelly have topped the charts since the long line of accusations about him having sex with one underaged girl after another have been known.

Would we give these men a free pass if they were mechanics, bus drivers or school teachers? Why do we tolerate (or even celebrate) them?

MJ was not convicted of those charges and there was no evidence, just a bunch of greedy people in the wake trying to make millions. They lied and tainted his reputation... mind you he is an odd bird but with his life who wouldnt be? but odd doesnt make him a pedophile. the others ok I'll give you them.

I find it a bit silly when in some states its legal but in others a sex crime... I find that to be outrageous. as do some of the charges. If a child forges ids to get into a bar, I think they are fair game. If they meet someone in a "legal" age establishment then there should never be charges for being underage...
If they want to act like an adult then let them have tthose rights and don't hold the unsuspecting liable. These so called children are just not as nieve as they once were.... but of course we pump the media and print with nothing but sex so why are we surprised when a 12 or 13 yo looks like a ****?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,142,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
The truth is that most men are pedophiles. Human beings spent hundreds of thousands of years reproducing immediately and being worn out old hags by 25. Attraction to 13-year-olds is hardwired into men's brains by evolution. Nothing can ever change that. And it's rather nice that Ben Franklin, Walt Whitman, Leonardo da Vinci, and millions of other famous active pedophiles were not persecuted for it, otherwise the human race would have been much worse off.

The government should drop all "age of consent" laws and make it a civil matter. Rape is rape, no matter the age of the victim, the only difference being that parents / guardians also have the right to press charges on their dependents' behalf. What you have now is government interfering even if all the people involved don't want it to, and even if it's just a picture on a computer... That's downright silly.

Child sexuality is a fact of life, and demagogue politicians and their enablers who refuse to see that still have a lot of growing up to do themselves!
There are a few things wrong with this post (and a few others as well, so I am not picking on you personally). Pedophilia refers to people who are attracted to those who haven't attained puberty, we're talking about under the age of 12 or so. There is also another specific term for those attracted to toddlers and infants, although the term escapes me at the moment.

But yeah, being attracted to a teenager isn't pedophilia and having sex with one isn't pedophilia either, and its legality of that varies from state to state and country to country. Having sex with a 16 year old is perfectly legal in some states and some states its considered the same as raping a seven year old.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times
Bottom line you need to I.D. check everybody you date romantically. You do not want to risk accidentally breaking the law.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,772 times
Why?

Because we are a bunch of stupid "star" worshipping sheep who heap praise and money on "singers" and "pro athletes" while paying surgeons less.

Collectively, as a society we are warped.

Granted, it's a little more complex than that. A "celeb" can make that money because of how markets work.

But our apparent tolerance for their faults *does* indicate some stupidity, or perhaps the carte blanche we give to the rich.

If a rich and famous artist is strange, apparently they have the "get out of jail free" card. Probably because they make other folks money.

On the other hand, if the guitar player in the band at the bar up the street commits the same... he's going to be locked up.

The difference? $$$

Consider Whitney Houston... got caught with dope in Hawaii... walked out. No one stopped her.

If John Doe did the same, he'd have been in cuffs...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,531 times
Quote:

Why do we as a society tolerate pedophiles, just beacaue they are talented? The names that immediately come to mind are: Woody Allen, R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Roman Polanski.
No "we as a society" do not tolerate pedophiles. Only the weak minded who have no confidence in their own judgment do, and because the more stupid people are the louder the tend to be, you think there are more of them.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:42 AM

221 posts, read 307,908 times
Quote:
A friend asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" to which I replied "Isn't that a Woody Allen film?" Her response, "Yeah, I know, but he's just soooo talented."

I think about all of the celebrities that have lined up to work with Woody Allen after the incident with his step-daughter and accusations regarding molesting his other children. I also think about how many songs by R Kelly have topped the charts since the long line of accusations about him having sex with one underaged girl after another have been known.

Would we give these men a free pass if they were mechanics, bus drivers or school teachers? Why do we tolerate (or even celebrate) them?
Man, I don't know, but it is crazy.

Best I can figure is that when someone is making other folks a lot of money they have a vested interest in explaining away "issues".

Same thing happens with other "issues". Who ever called Howard Hughes on his disorder? But a poor person would end up on SSRI's for the same thing.

In short, if you are rich, "It's an eccentricity", if you are poor, "It's a disorder" (or a crime in the case of the subject herein).

Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 AM

216 posts, read 598,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Man, I don't know, but it is crazy.

Best I can figure is that when someone is making other folks a lot of money they have a vested interest in explaining away "issues".

Same thing happens with other "issues". Who ever called Howard Hughes on his disorder? But a poor person would end up on SSRI's for the same thing.

In short, if you are rich, "It's an eccentricity", if you are poor, "It's a disorder" (or a crime in the case of the subject herein).
Well stated.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,274,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
I think the term pedophilia is being thrown around a little too loosely. Attraction to a pre-pubescent child and attraction to a 14 year old sexually developed child are two totally different things. Acting on either of these impulses is illegal, and rightly so. But attraction to the 14-yo could fall within the range of "normal" sexual desire. If Woody Allen was hooking up with his 16-yo stepchild, it's creepy, but it doesn't make him a pedophile. And it has no impact on the quality of his films.

It's not like there is some sex switch that magically turns on on a person's 18th birthday that changes an innocent child into a sexually mature adult. This is a gradual process, different for everyone. The age number is completely arbitrary.

14 year olds are not sexually developed, and even if they are close they are not attracted to old people (25+) unless they have been mistreated or have no strong father/mother figure. They are usually attracted to their own age group.

As for Allen, if he's sleeping with a 16 year old yes he is a pedophile. He is her gaurdian and her "protector" now he's her jailer.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,274,260 times
I find it appaling that most of the men on here say it's okay to have sex with a 14yo because it's biological okay (I know woman are guilty of this too). Mother Nature granted us these rights. Bull! Mother Nature, God, whatever is only an excuse when it suits your needs, but when it comes to drilling for oil there is no nature. This is not the age for a free for all, it's a time when "young adults" learn to be adults. Sex is not the only determination of adulthood.
That's why these "celebrities" get away with it, because the mind set of the human masses are distorted and greed is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or