U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times

Advertisements

Why are people so sick that they have to bring up an incident that was laid to rest decades ago and keep beating the same dead horse? Woody Allen was accused of pedophilia by an estranged ex, and no conslusive evidence was ever found. Pedophilia is defined, medically and legally, as sexual relations with a pre-pubescent child, which exclude people of the age of Soon Yi.

If you think it's "wrong", and your own sexual hangups are so debilitating to you that they carry over into your entertainment choices, then don't watch his pictures. But if you made the same statement about a mechanic, that you have made about Woody Allen, you would be consulting your attorney about a defense on a civil suit for defamation of character.

Talented people do not get a pass. It's just the opposite. Talented people, because they are public figures, have to endure you hateful vitriol and vicious accusations and libel and slander and character assassination, with no right to fight back.

There are millions of mechanics, etc., who have sex with underage partners, and you don't know about it and you don't poke your nose into their personal lives to try to find out. But if a "talented" person does it, you feel you need to destroy your own health and wall-being lying awake all night gritting your teeth about somebody else enjoying a lifestyle that you have too many sexual hangups to tolerate.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-29-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A friend asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" to which I replied "Isn't that a Woody Allen film?" Her response, "Yeah, I know, but he's just soooo talented."

Why do we as a society tolerate pedophiles, just beacaue they are talented? The names that immediately come to mind are: Woody Allen, R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Roman Polanski.

I think about all of the celebrities that have lined up to work with Woody Allen after the incident with his step-daughter and accusations regarding molesting his other children. I also think about how many songs by R Kelly have topped the charts since the long line of accusations about him having sex with one underaged girl after another have been known.

Would we give these men a free pass if they were mechanics, bus drivers or school teachers? Why do we tolerate (or even celebrate) them?
Have any of the men been convicted of said crime?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,278,439 times
I do not consider his relationship with Soonn Yi as pedophilia. First of all, she was 16 years old which is the age of consent in many states in this country. If Woody and Sun Yi had been living in Arkansas or Alaska or Iowa or Nevada or New Hampshire or South Dakota or Washington state, the question would have been moot.

Pedophilia is defined as a psychological disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children. I hardly would have called her prepubescent at 16.

For some reason, people are upset with Woody because she was his wife's ADOPTED daughter (with no blood relation between anyone in the family), and that somehow makes them uncomfortable. It is not Woody's problem - it is theirs. He has been VERY happily married to her for longer now than he was married to Mia. So I think it's time for the haters to just get over it and move on.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,301,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not consider his relationship with Soonn Yi as pedophilia. First of all, she was 16 years old which is the age of consent in many states in this country. If Woody and Sun Yi had been living in Arkansas or Alaska or Iowa or Nevada or New Hampshire or South Dakota or Washington state, the question would have been moot.

Pedophilia is defined as a psychological disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children. I hardly would have called her prepubescent at 16.

For some reason, people are upset with Woody because she was his wife's ADOPTED daughter (with no blood relation between anyone in the family), and that somehow makes them uncomfortable. It is not Woody's problem - it is theirs. He has been VERY happily married to her for longer now than he was married to Mia. So I think it's time for the haters to just get over it and move on.

20yrsinBranson

Just for the sake of clarity....you are stating that it is "OK" for a 50 year old man (Woody Allen) to have sexual relations with a 16 year old girl (Soon Yi)?

Also, as in the case of Roman Polanski, are you stating that it is "OK" for 44 year old man to have anal, vaginal and oral sexual relations with a 13 year old girl after giving her alcohol and drugs?

Please clarify....

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,484,664 times
we dont tolerate them if they have money we sue them to get as much as we can.
the exception is female and minority pedaphiles which seem to get a free ride.
bizarre like its not really wrong unless a white guy with money does it?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,759,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Whatever spin you guys want to put on it I still find it a bit revolting.

A 15 and 16 year old shouldn't be looked at like a piece of meat by an adult. It just isn't right.
Everybody and I mean everybody has had some type of fantasies that people may consider deviant or revolting at some time or another. However, to have thoughts does not mean you are going to act on them. I do not mean only sexual fantasies. People have wished or even thought of killing someone but never acted on their thoughts.

Looking at a young woman per se is not necessarily wrong. I am sure YOU have done so. The point is this: Do you look at her so she feels degraded? How about if you look at her from far away and she never realized you looke at her? What is the harm?

We all are sexual beings and we do not stop feeling attracted to the opposite sex. The point is how you treat people as you interact with them. Sexual attraction is the reason for admiring someone from the opposite sex, nothing wrong with that. There is a difference if I look at a young woman and call her names or whistle at her making her feel like a piece of meat or simply admiring her beauty. I have never had any problem with any women in my life that I have even told them how beautiful they are and how sexy or attractive they look. Why? Because I do it with respect and dignity. They actually appreciate it.

Even if somebody looks at a young woman even at 13 because she is good lookingg does not mean you are going to ask her for a date, are you? Not me for sure!!

I am a sexual assault and rape victim advocate and I my mission as such is to teach men to respect woman with dignity. Women are entitled to the same respect as men do. What I do not agree is for people to demand others act as if denying the natural sexual attraction people feel towards the opposite sex as if it does not exist. I have three daughters and I made sure they learned to not allow anyone to threat them as pieces of meat. They do enforce that pretty well I must say.

When I attended the Sexual Trauma and Assault Response Services program to be a victim advocate we covered subjects like this one. There are many men and women that are pedophiles and never act on that. They have the moral strength to act against those impulses. That is THEIR sexual orientation. To tell them not to like boys or girls is like telling men not to like women and deny their preference. However, if they never act on their desires I admire their moral strenght.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity....you are stating that it is "OK" for a 50 year old man (Woody Allen) to have sexual relations with a 16 year old girl (Soon Yi)?
A 16-yo woman is a legal adult in most of the countries of the world, and more than half the states in the union. If you don't like what consenting adults are doing in the bedrooms, stop looking in the window.

The only sense in which it is not OK, is the bizarre discrepancy from one state to another in the technical definition of what is a legal adult. Last I heard, a grown up is a grown up, no matter what country it is. Would you ask if it was morally OK if he had shared a can of beer with a 20-year-old, in (virtually) the only country in the world that makes children wait until they are 21 before they can drink. Americans are the laughing stock of the world, for their refusal to let their childish and immature citizens grow up and be adults.

Soon Yi is now 40 years and she and Allen are still married, so it would be a bit of a stretch to suggest that there was nothing to their relationship except a pedophilic fling.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-29-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,278,439 times
Quote:

Also, as in the case of Roman Polanski, are you stating that it is "OK" for 44 year old man to have anal, vaginal and oral sexual relations with a 13 year old girl after giving her alcohol and drugs?

Please clarify....
No to Roman because 13 isn't the age of consent *anywhere* in this Country. Yes to Woody. If two people love each other age is irrelevant. We must not judge others just because they do something that is not in our comfort zone.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,277,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No to Roman because 13 isn't the age of consent *anywhere* in this Country. Yes to Woody. If two people love each other age is irrelevant. We must not judge others just because they do something that is not in our comfort zone.

20yrsinBranson

Woody was her guardian not just some guy she met in a park. This may be one of the reasons a man would not be able to adopt a child with out a wife.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM

48,975 posts, read 39,459,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Last time I checked Woody Allen is not a pedophile. He never had a step-daughter either. He was never married to Mia Farrow or adopted with her. He was also never indicted for anything. So I'm not understanding your hatred for him. Also she was 22 when Wood Allen married her. That isn't pedophilia. It is the strange old man going after a much younger adult woman. There is a difference.

Roman Polanski is a whole other story. I heard he had a sexual affair with a kid. That is very freaky and so wrong.
Good post. 100% agree.

Besides, I hate Woody Allen because of his godawful whiney movies and not his boning a young woman he helped raise. (Although it's super creeeeeepy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or