U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A 16-yo woman is a legal adult in most of the countries of the world, and more than half the states in the union. If you don't like what consenting adults are doing in the bedrooms, stop looking in the window.

The only sense in which it is not OK, is the bizarre discrepancy from one state to another in the technical definition of what is a legal adult. Last I heard, a grown up is a grown up, no matter what country it is. Would you ask if it was morally OK if he had shared a can of beer with a 20-year-old, in (virtually) the only country in the world that makes children wait until they are 21 before they can drink. Americans are the laughing stock of the world, for their refusal to let their childish and immature citizens grow up and be adults.

Soon Yi is now 40 years and she and Allen are still married, so it would be a bit of a stretch to suggest that there was nothing to their relationship except a pedophilic fling.

A 16 year old and a 50 year old is not an equal (or appropriate) pairing. I don't care if its female/male; male/male; male/female or female/female. A 50 or 40 or 30 year old should not be having sex with a 16 year old.

And to be quite honest with you, I could give a flying fu-tootie that America is the "laughing stock" of other countries because they legally allow their men can have sex with children.


And for the Soon Yi-Woody Allen relationship, I see it as a case where her mother's boyfriend took advantage of a situation with a confused young girl who was having difficulty with her adopted mother. Soon Yi was adopted when she was 8 years old.

Woody Allen's biological son with Mia Farrow, Ronan Farrow, said of his father Woody Allen: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent...I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children."

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And to be quite honest with you, I could give a flying fu-tootie that America is the "laughing stock" of other countries because they legally allow their men can have sex with children.
America is the laughing stock of the world because America is the only country that defines 20-year olds as children (drinking laws) and 17 year olds as children (age of consent). Other countries children grow up and stop being retarded and requiring nanny protection at a younger age. It appears, from the maturity of some of the posts here, that maybe the US ought to make the age of adulthood 40 or 50.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-28-2010 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Edited out deleted comments in quoted text, as well as response to them.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30548
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A 16 year old and a 50 year old is not an equal (or appropriate) pairing. I don't care if its female/male; male/male; male/female or female/female. A 50 or 40 or 30 year old should not be having sex with a 16 year old.

And to be quite honest with you, I could give a flying fu-tootie that America is the "laughing stock" of other countries because they legally allow their men can have sex with children.



And for the Soon Yi-Woody Allen relationship, I see it as a case where her mother's boyfriend took advantage of a situation with a confused young girl who was having difficulty with her adopted mother. Soon Yi was adopted when she was 8 years old.

Woody Allen's biological son with Mia Farrow, Ronan Farrow, said of his father Woody Allen: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent...I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children."
While I might question the wisdom of such a relationship, it's a free country and people over the age of consent should be allowed to make their own decisions.

Heck, I can't figure out the wisdom of most of the relationships I see in hollywood....like all the people lining up to date Charlie Sheen or one of the other nutcases.

It's creepy but it's not illegal and I'm not sure what laws you would pass that would make such a relationship illegal without trampling on people rights.

As for what Ronan Farrow thinks....I agree completely and while morally opposed to it, they were both consenting adults and so I shrug and walk away shaking my head just like I do when I read about open marriages, wife swappers etc.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Edited out deleted comment and response to it
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
America is the laughing stock of the world because America is the only country that defines 20-year olds as children (drinking laws) and 17 year olds as children (age of consent). Other countries children grow up and stop being retarded and requiring nanny protection at a younger age.
The age of consent in the United states is quite comparable to say...Europe with 16 yo being the most common.

Also, some countries are misleadingly indicated as having consent laws that are as low as 14 but in reality come with caveats that say the partner must be no more than 2 years older until the person is at least 16, 17 etc.

Certainly our drinking laws are stricter but then again we have other laws much more liberal towards youth. So yeah, my son will be able to drive and own a bunch of guns when he turns 16....but can't drink until 21. I hear you.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we dont tolerate them if they have money we sue them to get as much as we can.
the exception is female and minority pedaphiles which seem to get a free ride.
bizarre like its not really wrong unless a white guy with money does it?
LeTorneau.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
America is the laughing stock of the world because America is the only country that defines 20-year olds as children (drinking laws) and 17 year olds as children (age of consent). Other countries children grow up and stop being retarded and requiring nanny protection at a younger age. It appears, from the maturity of some of the posts here, that maybe the US ought to make the age of adulthood 40 or 50.
I take issue with people who do not acknowledge the damage that can be done to a young person regarding inappropriate sexual interactions with older individuals.

Older people who actively seek out and target much, much younger people as sexual partners are looking for someone that they can manipulate and control. Its as simply as that.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-28-2010 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text and response to it
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Older people who actively seek out and target much, much younger people as sexual partners are looking for someone that they can manipulate and control. Its as simply as that.
Looks to me like Woody Allen was looking for (and found) someone who he could be living with as man and wife 20 years later, which he has now done. Someone his intellectual equal (she has a masters degree from Columbia University), leaving little evidence that she was "damaged" by the relationship. If you get into the habit of being a little bit circumspect when you make assumptions about people's intentions, you might discover that it's NOT as simple as that..

Last edited by jtur88; 04-30-2010 at 08:10 PM..
 
Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Looks to me like Woody Allen was looking for (and found) someone who he could be living with as man and wife 20 years later, which he has now done. Someone his intellectual equal (she has a masters degree from Columbia University), leaving little evidence that she was "damaged" by the relationship. If you get into the habit of being a little bit circumspect when you make assumptions about people's intentions, you might discover that it's NOT as simple as that..
You are right; its not that simple.

But the mere fact that he abandoned relationships with his biological children with Mia Farrow to pursue a sexual relationship with his biological children's sister by adoption is very sick.

I give very little weight to the fact that Woody Allen and Soon Yi have been together for 20 years because it smacks of an "arrangement" to me. She gets to live in a multimillion dollar co-op in one of Manhattan's best areas, they travel the world, she has access to his money so she has never had to work a day in her life and he gets a younger wife....its an arrangement.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 AM
 
3,261 posts, read 4,524,211 times
Reputation: 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
America is the laughing stock of the world because America is the only country that defines 20-year olds as children (drinking laws) and 17 year olds as children (age of consent). Other countries children grow up and stop being retarded and requiring nanny protection at a younger age. It appears, from the maturity of some of the posts here, that maybe the US ought to make the age of adulthood 40 or 50.

Firstly, most of the Western/Modern World has an age of consent of 16 and legal drinking ages of 18 on average, so I don't get your argument that suggests that the US is a laughing stock on this basis.

Secondly, I'm not sure if it's "law" or not, but I personally believe that between the age of consent and the time a child is recognized as a legal adult, sexual activity between a 16 / 17 year old and a person significantly out of their peer group should be an offense.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are right; its not that simple.

But the mere fact that he abandoned relationships with his biological children with Mia Farrow to pursue a sexual relationship with his biological children's sister by adoption is very sick.

I give very little weight to the fact that Woody Allen and Soon Yi have been together for 20 years because it smacks of an "arrangement" to me. She gets to live in a multimillion dollar co-op in one of Manhattan's best areas, they travel the world, she has access to his money so she has never had to work a day in her life and he gets a younger wife....its an arrangement.
You agree that it's not that simple, and then you immediately jump right back in and tell me that you know what motivated him to do what he did.

Of course, it would have been perfectly OK, in your estimation, for Soon Yi to have married a wealthy man her own age as an "arrangement" in order to receive all those lavish perks, but the lavish perks themselves become the reason for denying her the discretion to marry an older man. I don't understand your logic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top