Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM

472 posts, read 738,332 times

Advertisements

Anyone else hear about this? If true, I cannot believe what the Dems are thinking packing millions and millions of spending into the upcoming economic bill - particularly for something as divisive as abortion/contraception funding.

http://theminorityreportblog.com/blog_entry/steve_foley/2009/01/23/democrats_stimulus_bill_includes_taxpayer_funding_ for_the_abortion_industry (broken link)

Perhaps they are thinking the economic stimulus plan will be so utterly stimulating that contrecptive funding is a necessary precaution.

At any rate, if this story proves to be true, it would be an example of considerable arrogance and poor leadeship on the part of the Democrat Party.

Have Pelosi and Reid totally lost their minds???

Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,517,470 times
And if we had a republican president with a republican congress, there'd be an assortment of their pet projects and pork as well.

All you're telling us is that it's politics as usual in DC.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
And if we had a republican president with a republican congress, there'd be an assortment of their pet projects and pork as well.

All you're telling us is that it's politics as usual in DC.

EXACTLY - except it is not business as usual for the country - we are in a dire situation. Obama was elected in great part on the promise of "no more business as usual" in Washington DC. I was particularly dismayed to hear about his "I won the election" comment. Childish, petulant displays of needful authority is not what our nation requires at this time. We have had our fill of that for much too long already.

This development is terribly dissapointing so early in the process. Not only does it appear to be "business as usual", but the divisiveness has even been ramped up a notch or two.

Good lord - where are the leaders this nation is in such desperate need of?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,997,298 times
I'm not clear exactly how it is worded into the new 'stimulus' package, most of which is left very vague for the general public, however, I would figure that the Dems are trying to fund preventative medical.
Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to fund for very inexpensive contraception than to pay for the thousand of unwanted children that could end up in our foster/welfare/prison cycle?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 871,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiahmooDude View Post

Good lord - where are the leaders this nation is in such desperate need of?

They've been driven off, killed off, or otherwise marginalized/removed.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

When people come forward, seeking to help guide and lead the nation, in the name of responsible, responsive, and reasonable government, they are sidelined or ignored, to make room for those who will continue the perpetual wars, occupations, imperial adventures, reckless spending, and corrupt "business as usual" that we may likely never see the end of.

Ron Paul came, bringing a message of responsible, reasonable, and responsive government, but the people knew him not, rather they went with Comrade McSame and Dear Leader Obama. Ron Paul should been the Republican nominee, but the elites would not stand for him because he would not be used as their tool. Until people get mad and raise hell, they're going to be stuck with candidates forced on them by the party elite, who will continue to disregard the wishes of the people.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM

[quote=OhioUberAlles;7177357]They've been driven off, killed off, or otherwise marginalized/removed.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Uh........

Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,727,978 times
Quote:
Have Pelosi and Reid totally lost their minds???
I can't tell. It certainly appears that way. Pelosi said yesterday (or the day before) that family planning and contraception reduces costs and lightens the burden on public services thereby somehow helping the economy and that there would be no apologies for this monkey show.

I'm assuming that this is a giant social experiment. 18 years after Roe vs. Wade crime rates and incarceration "inexplicably" dropped. The idea was that unwanted pregnancies that would have blossomed into felons and criminals were terminated instead of being born. This interpretation was hotly contested and has become an untouchable issue. Whether or not it has its merits, government should not be trying to influence such things (I don't care if it's an abortion ban or this non-sense). I'll pay my taxes, manage my own affairs and be happy as a clam as long as the monument to self-importance and ineptitude in D.C. stays the f*** out of my life.

Look up the garbage bill that Waxman is pushing as well in the name of economic rescue. Scary stuff going on here.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM

48,020 posts, read 21,949,596 times
I think it means that the Democrats are serious when they say that they want to make abortion extremely rare. The republicans talk about being Anti Abortion but they only back it up by being anti woman. I imagine that this funding will be deleted from the stimulus package....not because it isnt needed...but because the Republicans will use it as a rationale for their obstructionism.

I hope at some point the Preseident will realize that there is little to be gained trying to work with those who put their party and its ruinous policies ahead of the country. I hope he goes to the American people and names the names of those who have and continue to recklessly persue ideology over patriotism and self over country.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think it means that the Democrats are serious when they say that they want to make abortion extremely rare. The republicans talk about being Anti Abortion but they only back it up by being anti woman. I imagine that this funding will be deleted from the stimulus package....not because it isnt needed...but because the Republicans will use it as a rationale for their obstructionism.

I hope at some point the Preseident will realize that there is little to be gained trying to work with those who put their party and its ruinous policies ahead of the country. I hope he goes to the American people and names the names of those who have and continue to recklessly persue ideology over patriotism and self over country.
You are actually making the point of my original post here Elston - the divisive issue of abortion/contraception should NEVER have been included in the economic stimulous package to begin with. Those issues are largely unrelated - despite Pelosi's attempts to point to some down-the-road economic benefits. I came across a response to her remarks from an economist who stated that it flies in the face of the real economics regarding the ongoing viability of Social Security and Medicare - if we do not have a larger population working and funding into the system, those systems will go bust. (I personally believe that is inevitable regardless)

A reduction in the future American population will actually then necessitate enormous increases in the tax rates to continue funding those two ginormous programs - thus, Pelosi's defense of placing the contracptive program into the economic stimulous package was absolute hogwash. She was simply making an arrogant move to inflict this package with as much social-engineering as possible.

I don't mind a debate on contraception, abortion, etc., at the national level - but it must take its time and place - right now our economic challenges are job #1, and so far, Pelosi and her cohorts are failing miserably in projecting a clear and unified message on how these challenges will be dealt with.

"Have a free rubber on the government."

No, that did not alleviate my economic concerns one bit...

P.S. - I don't think Pelosi is even close to being "sponge worthy".

Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,727,978 times
Quote:
P.S. - I don't think Pelosi is even close to being "sponge worthy".
Words can not describe the awesome...

by the way, "you must spread some reputation around before giving it to SemiahmooDude again"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates