Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then I would suggest that you ain't thinking! Under Regan we had a secretary of the interior that didn't see any reason to protect the environment because Jesus was coming back, and it would all be over soon.

Yea, that is too obsessive about the imaginary deity and the book of fiction.
Sort of like, it's nine years after Y2K, why I'm I still paying my mortgage? I thought all that data was going to be wiped out at the turn of the century. See how that type of mind set can really screw up your thinking?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Anyone who thinks that the bible is infallible should really read this verse very closely. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BELIEVE IN A GOD, THAT DOESN'T WANT YOU TO THINK FOR YOURSELF? I mean, my parents wanted me to have an open mind, and trust in my own wits. I assume any good parent does want their child to use their own wits, and not be a sheep to everything they are told. Since "God" is supposed to be our father, then that leaves me with two conclusions.

1. God isn't a good father

or

2. The bible, while may be inspired by God, was written by man. Hence, it is very fallible.

Food for thought

Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then I would suggest that you ain't thinking! Under Regan we had a secretary of the interior that didn't see any reason to protect the environment because Jesus was coming back, and it would all be over soon.

Yea, that is too obsessive about the imaginary deity and the book of fiction.
I guess it all depends on how soon is "soon" ????

Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
2. The bible ... was written by man. Hence, it is very fallible.

Food for thought
There is the point that most folks who go off on a tangent on either side of the issue seem to conveniently forget. They either want to take ever ink smudge literally or they want to dismiss everything within as bad advice.

Is 'thou shall not kill' really bad advice? I think using some common sense when reading any literary work is a wonderful concept that our higher-order cognitive abilities allow. It's another work in a huge canon of literature. Whether it is inspired by some higher power is for each person to decide for themselves... but, having said that, whether it is or it is not doesn't mean that there is nothing within the work of worth.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
2. The bible, while may be inspired by God, was written by man. Hence, it is very fallible.

Food for thought
Not only 'written' by man, but rewritten time and time again, and translated many times, each time by man, and man will always taint a rewrite or translation with their own beliefs, interpenetration and agenda. Regardless of the credibility of the original, does today's version have any similarities to the original?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exactly my point about trashing others. In my mind this sort of statement is just as inconsiderate as some loon going up to another person and screaming out that they are going to hell to burn for an eternity. I see little difference as both views are absolutely closed-minded.
My point was about Secretary of the Interior Watts and his belief that his deity was coming soon, so to hell with protecting the air and water, as he believed it pointless. Fortunately he was also an idiot and shortly shot himslef in the foot with his mouth and was forced to resign.

Now lets assume he is wrong, a safe bet, and his deity is not coming, ever, and in fact that his deity is only imaginary, a certainty, then the only accurate reference must be 'imaginary deity' and I also see the bible as a book of urban legend i.e. fiction.

Many believe otherwise, large numbers in fact, but that in no way gives the theory any credibility. At one point probably 99% of the humans on the planet believe the earth was flat, and everything revolved around the earth. The popularity of an opinion or belief in no way related to the reality, and there is no reality at all to support the existence of the deities of any religion, or to support that the supporting 'books' are nothing more than a collection of urban legends interspersed with literary accents.

And I ain't screaming that others are going to hell, per your example, simply presenting MY view, in no way did I tell anyone the repercussions of not following my views, but just my views. Thus your comparison to these street corner nuts is completely irrelevant.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Is 'thou shall not kill' really bad advice?.
"Thou shalt not kill" was the law of the land in every nation on earth, since long before there was ever a Jesus, and even before there was a Moses. Any reasonable man making a list of commandments for society. even then, would have been an absolute moron or a hardened sociopath if he did not include that one.

If your religious belief is the only reason you have for not killing people, or not stealing from people, I will make it a point to steer very clear of you..

Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Anything taken to extreme... religion, atheism, political views, sex, drugs, alcohol,consumerism, whatever, are just an attempt to fill a void in somebody's life. I see people obsessing about politics and you have to wonder if they have no lives( I'm borderline, LOL). The same goes for those who do nothing but bash religion or do nothing but push it.
I believe in God but I don't have all the answers. Nobody does. But if anybody does, its God.
Question: Would you want to have only one car company or candy company or soda company or retail company? Then why would we want only one religion, culture or for that matter one political party?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Anything taken to extreme... religion, atheism, political views, sex, drugs, alcohol,consumerism, whatever, are just an attempt to fill a void in somebody's life. I see people obsessing about politics and you have to wonder if they have no lives( I'm borderline, LOL). The same goes for those who do nothing but bash religion or do nothing but push it.
I believe in God but I don't have all the answers. Nobody does. But if anybody does, its God.
Question: Would you want to have only one car company or candy company or soda company or retail company? Then why would we want only one religion, culture or for that matter one political party?

In answer to your question....there is a vast differance in companies, and in the one creator of all things! There is not a 'company' anywhere that is going to determine my eternal destination, and there is only one God who is going to. He has only one way. He gave us the Way, and it is recorded in the book we call the Bible.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
In answer to your question....there is a vast differance in companies, and in the one creator of all things! There is not a 'company' anywhere that is going to determine my eternal destination, and there is only one God who is going to. He has only one way. He gave us the Way, and it is recorded in the book we call the Bible.
So God lied to the Jews? Or will they all turn to Christ during the "Great tribulation". I guess all of the Muslims in the world are wrong to, since they tend to believe they are the descendants of Abraham.

What about all of the people who lived before Jesus, do they get a free ride or what? What about the American Indians who died after Jesus, nobody told them about Christ until 1492 or later, so thats 1491 years of dead Indians who had no idea who Christ the messiah was.

Yeah, I think that if you believe that only people that believe that Christ is the son of God are a little to self righteous. Remember, Jesus never told anyone, "I am God"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates