U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM

432 posts, read 1,410,057 times

Advertisements

1.Would you rather go on an airplane to travel to get to somewhere faster than driving a car?

In my case,I would like to travel in an airplane all the time since time is more valuable to me than money.

Note that I don't know what octane rating of gasoline that the airplane uses and what its CO2 emission since I was. Would it cost less than a car drive from Los Angles to New York City if you brought an airplane ticket (economy class)?

I know some people think that time is money since you have to spend time to make money. Just know that time is more than money since money can never buy time itself,since money is a concrete thing while time is an abstract concept or thing.

If someone can calculate the airplane cost vs. road trip cost,that would be great. In addition,what is more valuable to you,time or money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,374,138 times
I have found that if I'm traveling alone, the airlines will usually save you time and money. However if traveling with family it's cheaper to drive....
Now that being said, when we vacation, there are usually time limits, meaning you have a limited amount of time to vacation in, before going back to work. That's why airline travel cost more on Friday and Saturday than on Tuesday or Wednesday. So in the long run when vacationing, to me anyway time means more than money as we will leave after work and return right before having to return to work, even if it means paying more for tickets...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM

268 posts, read 944,497 times
It depends whether the voyage or the destination is the objective.

I've had vacations were the travel itself is part of the vacation - cycling across several states, or car camping all over Alaska, or the South West, or the Rocky Mountains. On the other hand, I've had to go to conferences when I just wanted to be there, be fresh when I get there, and be ready for the presentations.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 22 days ago)

14,433 posts, read 16,765,370 times
I travel by train. I'm not in a huge hurry to get there and the trip itself is part of the package. So spending a day or so crossing the virgin lands most people never see with no roads or people is a wonderful thing. No gestapo like security, no rush rush rush, plenty of nice people to talk to and time to walk around.

If the objective was a specific time I think I would still go by train. Kick back before, get what you need done without distractions, and kick back on the way home too.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM

16,921 posts, read 51,568,471 times
Haven't been on a commercial flight in years, have no intention of ever doing so again. The experience is simply too rude and crowded for my sensibilities. Since deciding not to fly, my world is effectively larger. I can't get across the country in less than a day, and I have to relate to the world in a more sane way. Besides, when it is a "rush" trip, I can just about guarantee that it isn't YOUR time constraints that are being met, but those of an employer or job. Those situations tend to be high pressure, work 26 hours a day type of demands. No thanks. Been there, done that, got the stress lines in my brain to show for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,727,424 times
I calculated the cost in terms of fuel uage per person for a cross country trip. I no longer have the numbers, but my calculations showed that driving was better than flying only if there are at least 3.7 people in the car.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM

432 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Good work!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,143,463 times
Good job, dcashley!

I used to fly all the time, because of time constraints... I had to be in a certain city in a certain time frame, from x to y - and no matter if I was by myself or with a group, it was cheaper and made more sense to fly. If you have three days of meetings scheduled back to back, having someone else get you to and from your destination means that you can sleep to and fro! I hate the sheep-herding mindset of most airports - the worst was Washington, DC, with Newark a close second, and the best was Salt Lake City, with Vegas a close second to THAT. But I'll put up with any of them to get me where and when I need to be.

It depends on the group, too - I like to drive for 16-18 hours a day, stoppng only to gas up, grab a portable meal, hop into the facilities, and keep going. Others like to stop for a 1-3 hour meal, and get comfortable. When you have a whole group that has a lot of fun while traveling and doesn't like to waste time, you can make the ride a lot less expensive! When the folks in your vehicle won't stop at a Kentucky Fried or Burger King, but want to have a 'sit-down' restaurant meal, it starts to add up.

Most trains don't take me where I needed to be, and when I got there I still had to have transportation to and fro - like flying, only much more expensive! Plus their timing isn't the best, either.

DD just took a three week vacation and drove from the East Coast to the West Coast and back, visiting friends and family all along the way. Next month she'll fly to Vegas - limited time frame, and single-purpose destination. Her vehicle broke down twice, and she had to pay for motels and food along the way as well... If she flies, she won't have to worry about stopping for 24 hours for repairs to her transport!

Now, though, I drive pretty much everywhere. I can take the time to look at the scenery, or stop overnight if I choose. We went to Rapid City and took a 2-hour side trip thru the Badlands, just to see it. We'll drive to Vegas from now on, because it's closer and we like the scenery. If I go anywhere back East of the Mississippi, I'll fly.

The mode of travel depends on my purpose, destination, and time frame.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM

2,165 posts, read 7,508,578 times
I go from Orange County, CA to Tucson, AZ about 4 times a year to visit my age 85 mother. It's about 480 miles by car, and takes 7.5 to 8 hours depending on how fast I drive, how many times I stop or any other typical variables. I could get to Tucson by plane, but I'd have to go to LA or San Diego airport to get a non-stop flight, and then I'd have to get from Tucson airport to her house via shuttle van. Regardless, it would take at least five hours door to door if I used a plane to get from one of the southern cal airports to Tucson.

I choose to drive instead of fly to Tucson even though it takes a few hours longer. I am on my own schedule, no hassles, no stress. I usually pick a departure time from home to avoid southern cal traffic, and driving on I-8 between San Diego and AZ is typically easy with very few cars and trucks on the road. For me it's not about the time or the money, it's about being in control of your schedule and your destiny. If you have the slightest change in your travel plans, the airlines treat you like trash and rip your wallet apart just to take an earlier or later flight.

I occasionally take airplane trips to places that are further than a one or 2 day drive, but I always am reluctant lock myself into a plane trip too far in advance because of the hassle and expense involved in making any change to the planned travel date.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,044,225 times
i refuse to fly. i get sick every time i get on an airplane, and i usually waste a good 3-4 hours (or more if there's delays!) at the airport when i could be using those to drive somewhere. also, i'd rather not wonder if my plane is going to be reliable or receive a full body x-ray scan (like they have at O'hare now!) So I prefer to drive.

However, i would MOST prefer to go by train but since most places that i travel to wouldn't know what a passenger train was if it ran them over, I must drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates