Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm, yea, that clown on BART wasn't actually PD. Armed security...deliver me from those guys! . I've worked with a lot of them. When I worked for yhe military as a civilian contract worker. Most of them actually had no business being armed. They were scary. Lots of them had obvious mental issues and some WIERD stuff was always going down on the guard force. Negligent discharges, guys calling in UFO's and aliens "coming to get them" (no I'm not kidding), parking out in the bunker areas and fireing off their weapons, lol one kid (fresh out of the Army) shot himself through the hand while on post, supposedly he was "cleaning" his weapon....ooooook then. So, comparing "armed security" to police officers is really not fair. There is no correlation. Totally different set of standards. If there IS a standard for armed security I havn't seen it.
yeah, that guy was an A$$hat, and most definitely shouldn't have had a gun. Those armed "security" guys are the MOST frightening! I know the guys at the gate you are talking about...oh god.... sooo scary...... They are a world of their own.

None of the law enforcement departments are anything like those guys. From city cop, to deputy sheriff, to state patrol, they are all taught at the basic academy, then some of the departments have schools of their own as well with further training. They do have a diversity of tactics, but the majority of core training is the same.

the security guys, are *usually* the wannabes who didn't make it , or old retired guys who well, should have stayed retired. scary all the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
For everyone of those videos you see of "police brutality" there is a video you don't see of the horrible things that get done to cops. The police use them for training videos so other police will know what NOT to do or WHAT to do depending on the video.

The other thing I really hate about those "police brutality" videos are you don't know the situation. You have no clue of the why and what that person has done, and you just think "poor guy is getting his a$$ kicked by the cops!"

When that "poor guy" may have just murdered someone, beat his girlfriend within a inch of her life and threatened police, stabbed his neighbor, robbed a bank, or shot a child. You don't know and you don't care, you are just looking at the end of a 4 hour chase of some criminal who was beaten for a good reason, but your going on that 50 sec. clip that the media put in front of your face.

Half the crap they dish out is only HALF the story. And usually even that they can't get right.....but it makes a great story.......
I'm talking about the true police brutality ones. Some just clearly use excessive force. They abuse the public's trust and forget they're public servants. They have a tendency to look at victims as criminals until they can prove themselves innocent. I won't tell you how many times this has been proven true and why but I've seen it happen to several people. Aside from those ones, I have great respect and admiration for the ones who don't abuse their authority.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I'm talking about the true police brutality ones. Some just clearly use excessive force. They abuse the public's trust and forget they're public servants. They have a tendency to look at victims as criminals until they can prove themselves innocent. I won't tell you how many times this has been proven true and why but I've seen it happen to several people. Aside from those ones, I have great respect and admiration for the ones who don't abuse their authority.
ok, there are bad apples in every tree, and yes, I hate them as much as the next guy because no one wants a bad cop on the street. But the general public just doesn't get it. You have to understand what these men and women have to deal with daily an the people they contact and the reason why they are TAUGHT to follow a certain procedure. I thought macmeal said it best when he posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The US, as a society, despite its affluence and modern way of life, at its core ranks among the most obstinately "individualistic" on earth. Compare us with ANY other society, rich or poor, and odds are the American will come out FAR more 'cantankerous', jealous of his own 'rights', and determined that 'nobody's going to tell ME what to do'.

Americans, in addition to any other factors, are just harder to 'police' than most societies. We're stubborn, we argue, and we're not ALL that comfortable with 'authority' (and of course, our police officers are Americans, TOO).

When we're "told what to do", we want to know WHY?...and WHO SAYS SO?
Americans "challenge" everything. But if a cop tell you to do something, it's not up for debate, and people need to learn that. If they listen and follow the commands given to them, there won't be any issues. If they start to fight, talk back, ask why, you are going to have a problem. Every time. Period.

There is a reason why they don't "ask" to do it, they are "TELLING" you to do it. It is a COMMAND, not a request, and people need to understand that this is someone who represents the LAW and you, as a citizen, are obliged to obey the law.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Of course there's a dichotomy.

If the officer if protecting you, he's a good guy.

If he's pulling you over for some minor infraction, you attitude is something different.

It's basically like the old saying, "It's not if the market is wrong or right, but are you on the right side of the market?"

Granted law is supposed to embody something a little more high minded and ideal, but I think you get the idea.

It's a tough job, and officers suffer a lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking... try walking the mile before you judge.

And in the end, the real beef shouldn't be with the officer in a lot of cases... but the legislature.

Remember those stories of soldier returning from 'Nam being spit on. Don't we now see that it was the leaders who made the mistakes... the Soldiers came when called...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
re: schizophrenia towards police--- schizophrenia is a mental disorder where a person cant stay on any subject and has hallucinations.
i cant get the relation of this type of mental illness and police officers at all.
americans have a great contempt for all authority figures for the last 40 years.
we punish police and citizen for self defense officers are reluctant to defend themselves and law suits and dismissal often result--- so they are better targets for violent criminals. having a weapon and being reluctant to use it can get you killed in a jiffy. we have allowed this crappy law system to develop and engulf us. no cop or citizen should ever go to jail for defending themselves ever.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-31-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Looking at the video, IN MY OPINION: It's even more obvious he didn't think he pulled his gun. From his actions, it looks like he thinks he pulled a taser. Fatal mistake. And he will pay for it......
See what did I say:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/07/...ail/index.html

"Mehserle may have intended to use Taser instead of gun, attorney says"

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Police officers in the US are, at the same time, greatly respected and deeply hated - sometimes by the same people, and sometimes at the same time. For instance, when an officer is slain, the funeral processions often attract civilian well-wishers and mourners from hundreds of miles away.

At the same time, the number of officers murdered per year (not just "killed in the line of duty, which includes traffic wrecks and other accidents) is far, far higher than in any other developed country on Earth. The average number of police officers murdered in the UK each year, for example, is below one - which means there are years in which no officers at all are murdered.

In the US, several DOZEN officers are killed each year, year in and year out.

In many ways, US citizens are much more pliant, fearful, and obedient toward the police than people in other developed countries. But it seems as though that tendency is punctured by all these sudden and violent explosions of hatred toward officers that leave them dead.

Why does this schizophrenia toward police officers exist in the US?
I am one such person who both respects police officers and often hates them at the same time. I have friends and relatives who are police officers, and it's easy enough to see that they are normal people when they're not on duty. However, it seems to me that when police officers ARE on duty, they forget that they're normal people. I am about as much of a goody-goody as a guy can be... and yet it seems that I get pulled over for the stupidest of things. What irritates me more is when police officers are just "lying in wait", like trap-door spiders, looking to pop someone. Just the other day I passed one who was speed-gunning people in a school zone. You KNOW that dude was just looking to meet a ticket quota. I ask you this... why was he not out trying to bust drug dealers and prostitutes? In the ghetto area of the city in which I live, that stuff is prominent (from what I hear)! Drug dealers and prostitutes are much more of a plague against humanity than people who go 30 mph in a 20 mph school zone when there aren't any freakin' kids walking around anyway. (Who doesn't slow down when kids are walking around?)

I've been pulled over for:

-having a rear license plate lamp out (on my parents' car)... the cop harassed me for a good long time before finally letting me go.

-having an expired inspection sticker on the van I just bought... the cop busted the fastest U-turn I've ever seen, only to find out after pulling me over that he'd failed to see the 14-day temporary inspection card that was still valid.

-having an expired inspection sticker on my pickup truck... this happened AT NIGHT... how could he have seen that? (Especially since I had an appointment to get an inspection the next day... it was the soonest I could get one... and all I had to do was fly under the radar for ONE STINKING NIGHT!) On top of that, he gave me a $115 ticket for this! He said "the fine is only $25"... so I thought "okay, it sucks, but that isn't too bad"... yeah, then I got the ticket and with court costs, EMS costs, this cost, that cost, etc... it wasn't just 25 bucks. Jerk.

-having one tire touch the bike lane at the side of the road when I made a left turn. (It was MIDNIGHT. Nobody was riding a bike at that time. Plus, not only did I look before I turned, but I was driving a 19-foot Cadillac with the turning radius of the Titanic, and the road had a median. Now I ask you... is it that hard to imagine how I could've "touched" the bike lane?)

-swerving within my lane. This happened TWICE! Both times, the cop said that I had never touched the middle line or the side line. Last time I checked... that wasn't illegal! ("Well, if you HAD been drunk...")

-driving past a cop, pulled over off the side of the road, in a state (Texas) where it's the law that you have to go to the other lane or slow way down for a stopped emergency vehicle. Okay. There were no signs advertising this law, on the highway. (Most states with this law DO have such signs.) Secondly, there was a good bit of traffic and by the time my wife (who was driving) realized what she had to do, she couldn't do it safely and quickly enough. Thirdly, she WAS going under the speed limit. Fourthly, we had out-of-state license plates and we had never lived in a state that had this law. That cop wrote us a $247 ticket!! I got it tossed by writing a letter to the cop explaining the situation in detail and asking if he'd toss it... "ask and ye shall receive"... but it was still a pain in the butt!

-having an expired registration, twice. Both times it was THE DAY AFTER the registration expired! Why is it that cops seem to be behind me only on the day after my registration expires! Haven't you ever lost the paperwork for a registration renewal when you moved? That's what happened to me one of the times. Total cost of tickets: almost $200!!

And so on, and so on. The police are a huge money-making machine for towns and cities... and everyone knows it. Budgets are designed with a certain amount of traffic ticket revenue written into them... and then it becomes the job of the police to make sure that that section of the budget is met. Nobody would talk about "ticket quotas" if that were entirely a myth.

If the police were always out to serve and protect, they'd focus mostly on the crimes that plague an area... not on speed traps.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I am one such person who both respects police officers and often hates them at the same time. I have friends and relatives who are police officers, and it's easy enough to see that they are normal people when they're not on duty. However, it seems to me that when police officers ARE on duty, they forget that they're normal people. I am about as much of a goody-goody as a guy can be... and yet it seems that I get pulled over for the stupidest of things. What irritates me more is when police officers are just "lying in wait", like trap-door spiders, looking to pop someone. Just the other day I passed one who was speed-gunning people in a school zone. You KNOW that dude was just looking to meet a ticket quota. I ask you this... why was he not out trying to bust drug dealers and prostitutes? In the ghetto area of the city in which I live, that stuff is prominent (from what I hear)! Drug dealers and prostitutes are much more of a plague against humanity than people who go 30 mph in a 20 mph school zone when there aren't any freakin' kids walking around anyway. (Who doesn't slow down when kids are walking around?)

If the police were always out to serve and protect, they'd focus mostly on the crimes that plague an area... not on speed traps.
Well they run your....everyones.....plate and they get your info (you should know this if you have friends and relatives who are cops). You should also know that there are traffic cops specifically for dealing with traffic issues. My DH does not have a ticket quota to make. There are times he writes a dozen tickets a night, and times he writes one. Just depends on what is going on. SO when you see them lying in wait they ARE doing their job. It's the people who speed that cause accidents.

Perfect example of this, my DH was leaving and I heard over his radio that there was an accident. Turns out there had been 3 accidents in the SAME spot and it was because ever driver was speeding. He went down there and sure enough busted a driver for going 67 in a 35! You deserve to get a ticket if your speeding. ESPECIALLY in school zones. Kids may come out in mass at certain times, but that doesn't mean there are kids coming and going at other times. I see kids who are on the track team all the time running around our town. Different kids with a different period off, and they take the time to run.

Now I also agree, there are some cops who are complete a-holes and your gonna run into them too. But most cops have their reasons for doing what they do.......

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
It's the people who speed that cause accidents. ....
If that were true, it would be ok for me to talk on a cell phone, drink coffee, and tune the radio all at the same time, as long as I stay within the speed limit. You apparently do not drive, because if you did, you would realize that absent mindedness and inattentiveness have brought you a lot closer to accidents than speeding.

Much of the time spent on traffic patrol is used enforcing taxes, which is not a public safety issue. "Registration please" is somebody making sure that I have paid the annual license fee for my car, and an arrest will be made by the tax enforcer if I have no proper reciept for that tax. Running an ID is checking to see of a person who is presumed innocent is really innocent. Not a public safety issue, and probably not even constitutional in what we laughingly call a free society. Whether I am walking or driving a car, the police have no right to demand to know who I am, what I am doing, or where I am going, or what I have in my possession.

And yes there is a ticket quota. If a cop on routine traffic patrol and not called to another event goes day after day without writing a single ticket, you can be sure that some superior will inform him that the quota is higher than zero.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If that were true, it would be ok for me to talk on a cell phone, drink coffee, and tune the radio all at the same time, as long as I stay within the speed limit.
Thats in addition to. The fact that people don't pay attention is part of the issue, but people die because not only aren't they paying attention, they are SPEEDING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates